Author Topic: A Simple Question.  (Read 4890 times)

Offline faithlilly

A Simple Question.
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
If the McCanns were so worried about the detrimental effect Amaral's book would have on the search for their daughter why didn't they take legal action straight away ?

A book will always sell the largest numbers within the first months of being published so if, as they claim, the book did indeed damage the search surely the main damage would have occurred in those first months when the book was selling in it's tens o thousands, so why no action, if even only to have the book withdrawn from sale ?

Does the McCanns actions suggest that it was never really about the damage done to the search and everything to do with getting their hands on the money the book had earned ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: A Simple Question.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
If the McCanns were so worried about the detrimental effect Amaral's book would have on the search for their daughter why didn't they take legal action straight away ?

A book will always sell the largest numbers within the first months of being published so if, as they claim, the book did indeed damage the search surely the main damage would have occurred in those first months when the book was selling in it's tens o thousands, so why no action, if even only to have the book withdrawn from sale ?

Does the McCanns actions suggest that it was never really about the damage done to the search and everything to do with getting their hands on the money the book had earned ?

Maybe they needed to wait in order to be able to provide some evidence that it actually impeded the search.

Saying at the beginning that they feared that it might isn't concrete enough

Whether or not they do have evidence, after all this time, is another matter...

stephen25000

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Maybe they needed to wait in order to be able to provide some evidence that it actually impeded the search.

How can you prove it impeded the case, given the publicity Madeleine's disappearance has received ?

Quantitative evidence is required not opinions of those close to the Mccanns.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
How can you prove it impeded the case, given the publicity Madeleine's disappearance has received ?

They are going to find it exceptionally hard to prove that it impeded the case, due to the various complicating factors we have all discussed

But if they had taken Amaral to trial shortly after the book was published, however, they would have had an even more difficult job, as they would have had no evidence at that early stage of the extent to which the search had been impeded by the book, rather than by other factors.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
Trying to prove that something didn't happened which would otherwise have happened because of the actions of a third party is almost impossible to establish in law.  It goes back to the same old question, what searching did the parents do personally in the last six years??
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:35:52 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Redblossom

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »

From reading here and there I believe yesterday Angus McBride, their criminal defence lawyer IIRC, and who was in PDL I ink for a couple months after the disappearance,was asked by Mr Amarals lawyer could he quantify or differentiate the damage/hurt caused to the Mccanns by way of the disappearance, them being made arguidos, which they said damaged the search,and Mr Amarals book, and he couldnt at all

Redblossom

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »

Seems they had the book translated already by Sept 08 when they gave this  interview and didnt seem that bothered

Snipped

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id163.html

Q – Former inspector Gonçalo Amaral remains convinced of your involvement in Madeleine's disappearance. Did you read 'The Truth of the Lie', the book that he wrote?

Kate and Gerry – No.

Kate – Why would I?

Gerry – I won't learn anything from reading it.

Q – It was a success in Portugal.

Gerry – Was it? How many copies did it sell?

Q – Approximately 200 thousand. Next week, it is released in Spain.

Gerry – That is what can be called illicit enrichment.

Q – Your English lawyers already have a translated copy and they are analysing it. Do you intend to sue Gonçalo Amaral?

Gerry – At this moment we are focused on what we can do to find Madeleine and not in suing anyone.

Kate – All that I am going to say about this – because I'm not going to waste any time on Mr Amaral – is that as a professional and as a person his behaviour has been a disgrace.

Q – Aren't you curious to know what the book says?

Kate – What for? It must be nothing but a load of rubbish. It is so secondary… It certainly won't help to find our daughter. My consolation is that on the cover he calls her Maddie, the name that the media have invented. We never called her anything like that.

Q – But you do know the theory that Gonçalo Amaral defends: Madeleine accidentally died in the Ocean Club apartment and you concealed the body.

Gerry – It really is a waste of time. And we need all the time that we can get to analyse the investigation's documents, which contain a lot of information that we didn't know about.

Kate – You just have to cross, loosely, his theory with the process in order to understand that the facts that he reports are not correct.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
They did bother though.

7:50PM BST 16 May 2009

Madeleine McCann's parents to sue former Portuguese police chief

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/5336009/Madeleine-McCanns-parents-to-sue-former-Portuguese-police-chief.html

Did this ever happen?

17 May 2009 | Posted by Joana Morais

Gonçalo Amaral said to TVI today that he will sue the McCanns.

"My lawyers are working on the case and we will take the McCann couple to court and perhaps other people for defamation, slanderous denunciations and false statements," said Goncalo Amaral on Portuguese TVI television.

"We will see who has spoken the truth in this case" into the disappearance of Madeleine in the south of Portugal in May 2007, he added.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Redblossom

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
They did bother though.

7:50PM BST 16 May 2009

Madeleine McCann's parents to sue former Portuguese police chief

Thats the whole bleding point, they werent bothered to do so until nearly a year later!

Offline Luz

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

My dear Faithfully, you are absolutely right

before the book became a hit they didn't know they could profit from it. That's why they took more than a year to put a legal appeal on it.

There are at least 4 more books about the case that I remember, with the same approximate conclusion, but they didn't go after their authors, why? Because they were not best sellers.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:15:13 AM »

There are at least 4 more books about the case that I remember, with the same approximate conclusion, but they didn't go after their authors, why? Because they were not best sellers.
This issue was raised during the David Trickey witness' statement.
I'm not convinced the best selling aspect is important. I think the fact the author is a senior police officer is.

icabodcrane

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »
This issue was raised during the David Trickey witness' statement.
I'm not convinced the best selling aspect is important. I think the fact the author is a senior police officer is.

I absolutely agree  Anne

It is the fact that the book was written by the senior  policeman  in charge of the investigation that is damaging, not how many copies were sold 

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
Demanding 800 Euros for an Interview, and by that time even accusing The McCanns of killing their daughter.

I hope you have a source for that, I hope this isn't libel.

It was actually 80,000 euros.

by Nigel Moore

Two days ago, Martin Brunt, Sky News Crime Correspondent, decided to use his blog to reveal the contents of an email Sky News had received from Gonçalo Amaral's agent.

The private email stated that it would cost 80,000 euros to facilitate an interview with the former PJ co-ordinator.

With unsurprising relish, Jerry Lawton, of The Daily Star, has today regurgitated the information contained in Mr Brunt's blog into a full-blown article.

Speaking exclusively to mccannfiles.com today, Gonçalo Amaral revealed the reasoning behind the decision.

He said: "I want you to know that I made the decision to get paid for any interview given to any British media, but that doesn't apply to anywhere else in the world.

"Its quite simple. I have given so many "free" interviews to the British media that were never published. They were censored and thrown to the trash. Next time they do it, I'm sure they will think twice about the money they pay."

Only this week, in Amsterdam to launch the Dutch version of 'the Truth of the Lie', Gonçalo Amaral and Sofia Leal gave their time freely to members of the public and press. In a 'question and answer' session, scheduled for 30 minutes, they stayed for 1 and a half hours discussing the case.

Mr Brunt, who has published details from a private email, and Mr Lawton, who, like so many Britsh journalists, is unable to write the name of Gonçalo Amaral without prefacing it with 'axed', 'disgraced' or 'shamed', need to question what they are doing to help find the truth about what happened to Madeleine. And how much do they get paid for doing it?

Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »

Oh, whoops.  I left off a couple of noughts.  But you will have to forgive me for that.  Whoever would believe it?

PS.  What has he done with The Money?

icabodcrane

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
Oh, whoops.  I left off a couple of noughts.  But you will have to forgive me for that.  Whoever would believe it?

PS.  What has he done with The Money?

Well,  unless and until he is found guilty of libel,  what he has done with his money is his own business