Author Topic: “ The McCanns Are Not Suspects”  (Read 10282 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: “ The McCanns Are Not Suspects”
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
I am saying that you have started a thread for which you are incapable of providing a cite.  Which by my reckoning makes it your opinion and nothing at all to do with the facts this forum expects and demands.

I’m not sure why you think I haven’t provided a cite. It is obvious that at least from the beginning of August the McCanns were being investigated so when the statement quoted was made OS knew that.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
I’m not sure why you think I haven’t provided a cite. It is obvious that at least from the beginning of August that the McCanns were being investigated so when the statement quoted was made OS knew that.

its also obvious the investigation had problems distinguishing their A from their E

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
its also obvious the investigation had problems distinguishing their A from their E

Im not discussing the competence of the investigation but whether at one point the McCanns were being investigated but the official spokesperson denied they were suspects.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »
That is a major victory then IMO.

Or not as the case maybe.
"This week the couple, from Rothley, Leics, withdrew their defamation action after being advised that the newspaper had a strong defence under Portuguese law.

It could argue the story was published in good faith because senior police officers did at the time believe the McCanns may have been implicated in the case."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/6057918/McCanns-drop-libel-case-against-Portuguese-newspaper.html

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:32:42 PM by John »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »

"This week the couple, from Rothley, Leics, withdrew their defamation action after being advised that the newspaper had a strong defence under Portuguese law.

It could argue the story was published in good faith because senior police officers did at the time believe the McCanns may have been implicated in the case."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/6057918/McCanns-drop-libel-case-against-Portuguese-newspaper.html

Yes, it was true.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:33:51 PM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 10:18:01 PM »
Yes, it was true.
Have you read the, article you have quoted..
The claim was dropped for a number of reasons... Firstly the paper went bust

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 10:21:34 PM »

But the McCanns were under suspicion.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
I'm not allowed to answer

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »

They could have pursued the author.
What they did according to the article was:
 "A source close to the couple confirmed that the defamation action against the newspaper and two journalists had been dropped.

The source said the McCanns want to concentrate instead on their £1 million case against Goncalo Amaral, the former head of the Madeleine investigation".

Well that didn't pan out too well did it?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »
I'm not allowed to answer

Not sure what you’d say. It is true.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
Not sure what you’d say. It is true.
If the McCanns are truly the only suspects in this case, why hasn’t the case been shelved again due to lack of evidence?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »

"This week the couple, from Rothley, Leics, withdrew their defamation action after being advised that the newspaper had a strong defence under Portuguese law".

That article is 2 years later.  The paper has still gone bust and they are looking to sue Amaral at that stage.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
One part of the PJ informing the paper that the McCanns were under suspicion ( the reason for the strong defence) and the Inspector Olegario de Sousa making a claim the McCanns were not suspects.  Two answers to the one issue.  One must be an error.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 11:03:01 PM »
I am saying that you have started a thread for which you are incapable of providing a cite.  Which by my reckoning makes it your opinion and nothing at all to do with the facts this forum expects and demands.

Are you seriously trying to claim they were not suspects in August 2007 and Sousa didn't know about it?

Why do you think they took their hire car away in August and returned it missing a part?

Why did they take their clothes away to examine?

Why do you think they were told, 'Next time we meet it will be across the table'?
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
Are you seriously trying to claim they were not suspects in August 2007 and Sousa didn't know about it?

Why do you think they took their hire car away in August and returned it missing a part?

Why did they take their clothes away to examine?

Why do you think they were told, 'Next time we meet it will be across the table'?

Her posts puzzled me too.