Author Topic: Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?  (Read 20238 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »
I'm sure the PJ would have been most interested. They could have pretty much eliminated Jane Tanner's sighting just as OG did in 2013. Jane would have been relieved that she didn't see the abductor. Gerry would have been reassured that no abductor was in the apartment moving doors. (I wonder who did that?)

Hmmmm ... I had the impression given by Amaral in his book that Tannerman already had a zero rating and Jane's non recognition of him as the then suspect added a few minuses to the zero.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »
Hmmmm ... I had the impression given by Amaral in his book that Tannerman already had a zero rating and Jane's non recognition of him as the then suspect added a few minuses to the zero.

Quite rightly in my opinion.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:22 PM »
Precisely.
Who knew about Tannerman in May 2007? 
Was Dr Totman interviewed along with the other crechedads/mums?
Or did he volunteer his information.

I wouldn’t have thought he would be interviewed by the GNR?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
But was Amaral's Tannerman in the same place as Totman?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:33 PM »
THE WEAKNESSES IN JANE'S WITNESS STATEMENT

Friday May 4th, at 8pm, we criss-cross Praia da Luz to take note of the activity in the village at dinner time and to check the street lighting. We stay there until 10pm while the forensic team from the police laboratory get on with their investigation.

Certainly, today there are people who wouldn't normally have been here: police officers and journalists. But, even so, it is noticeable that there is very little movement. The place where the abductor happened to be is dimly lit: how did Jane manage to describe him so accurately? Witnesses confirm that the streets were also deserted yesterday.

Why did the potential abductor choose to walk around like that, in the open, running the risk - in spite of the darkness - of being recognised by a passer-by? If he had planned the abduction, he would have taken the time to study, not only the habits of the family, but also the topography of the place. If he wasn't from the village, he would probably have come by car, and he would have sought to conceal it in a dark corner. But the darkest area is situated in exactly the opposite direction to that indicated by Jane Tanner. Did she actually see that man going towards the east? Wouldn't he rather be going towards the west? Leaving by car, he would inevitably have had to go towards the centre of the village, in which case, he would have to go either past the entrance to the restaurant where Madeleine's parents were dining, or by the main road that leads to EN125*

(*The road running west out of the village towards Sagres and east towards Lagos.)

We walk around Vila da Luz, covering all the roads, trying to imagine the options that presented themselves to the abductor. Without a car, and not knowing the place, the safest approach to the village is the beach. In the few bars, restaurants and cafes open at this time of year, no one noticed anything at all strange during the evening of May 3rd, no suspicious behaviour, nothing out of the ordinary. Most of the establishments had closed at around 9pm.

TOTL by Goncalo Amaral

Streets deserted. Smithman seen at around 10pm heading towards the beach.

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
THE WEAKNESSES IN JANE'S WITNESS STATEMENT

Friday May 4th, at 8pm, we criss-cross Praia da Luz to take note of the activity in the village at dinner time and to check the street lighting. We stay there until 10pm while the forensic team from the police laboratory get on with their investigation.

Certainly, today there are people who wouldn't normally have been here: police officers and journalists. But, even so, it is noticeable that there is very little movement. The place where the abductor happened to be is dimly lit: how did Jane manage to describe him so accurately? Witnesses confirm that the streets were also deserted yesterday.

Why did the potential abductor choose to walk around like that, in the open, running the risk - in spite of the darkness - of being recognised by a passer-by? If he had planned the abduction, he would have taken the time to study, not only the habits of the family, but also the topography of the place. If he wasn't from the village, he would probably have come by car, and he would have sought to conceal it in a dark corner. But the darkest area is situated in exactly the opposite direction to that indicated by Jane Tanner. Did she actually see that man going towards the east? Wouldn't he rather be going towards the west? Leaving by car, he would inevitably have had to go towards the centre of the village, in which case, he would have to go either past the entrance to the restaurant where Madeleine's parents were dining, or by the main road that leads to EN125*

(*The road running west out of the village towards Sagres and east towards Lagos.)

We walk around Vila da Luz, covering all the roads, trying to imagine the options that presented themselves to the abductor. Without a car, and not knowing the place, the safest approach to the village is the beach. In the few bars, restaurants and cafes open at this time of year, no one noticed anything at all strange during the evening of May 3rd, no suspicious behaviour, nothing out of the ordinary. Most of the establishments had closed at around 9pm.

TOTL by Goncalo Amaral

Streets deserted. Smithman seen at around 10pm heading towards the beach.

Amazingly prescient considering that it was almost a fortnight later before anyone knew Smithman had acted almost as described.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
Amazingly prescient considering that it was almost a fortnight later before anyone knew Smithman had acted almost as described.

Except Smithman, of course.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
Anything is possible after the event.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2018, 09:30:22 AM »
Except Smithman, of course.
As far as we know, Smithman hasn't written a book justifying his actions or with any intention of determining the fate of the child he was carrying.

Back on topic now please ... "Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?"

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
As far as we know, Smithman hasn't written a book justifying his actions or with any intention of determining the fate of the child he was carrying.

Back on topic now please ... "Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?"

What has writing a book got to do with anything?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
Pathfinder quoted a lengthy chunk from Amaral's epic tome which triggered this latest discussion - that's probably what it's got to do with it. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

The point of the post was actually to indicate the thread was straying off topic yet again which is why I included the request ...
" Back on topic now please ... "Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?" "

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
The point of the post was actually to indicate the thread was straying off topic yet again which is why I included the request ...
" Back on topic now please ... "Eleven years on, has Maddie been given up for dead?" "

Agreed, the rest was superfluous.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
Any regular follower of the Maddie case will have noticed a small but discernible change over the last twelve months.  IMO the McCanns are now attempting a low profile lifestyle for the sake of their two remaining children. Very sensible imo and a long time coming.  No doubt the last ruling by the Portuguese Supreme Court put pay to any future ambitious they might have had in Portugal.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Brietta

« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »
Any regular follower of the Maddie case will have noticed a small but discernible change over the last twelve months.  IMO the McCanns are now attempting a low profile lifestyle for the sake of their two remaining children. Very sensible imo and a long time coming.  No doubt the last ruling by the Portuguese Supreme Court put pay to any future ambitious they might have had in Portugal.

Kate and Gerry have never given up on Madeleine and I don't think they ever will.

Hopefully the present Portuguese and British investigation will resolve the situation and dispense with any future necessity for them to seek publicity or do anything proactive on Madeleine's behalf.

I think they began to retire from active campaigning long prior to twelve months ago.  There was no longer the necessity for them to do so when Madeleine's case became an active one again.
In my opinion they have been keeping a low profile since late 2013 when that was brought about.