Author Topic: Lakeland Terrier  (Read 7953 times)

Alfie

Lakeland Terrier
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
We're thinking seriously about getting a dog.  I like Lakeland terriers (Tin Tin fan) but wanted to know a bit more about their temperament and behaviour and so wondered if anyone here had had experience of this breed?

Offline G-Unit

Re: Lakeland Terrier
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 10:01:10 PM »
I thought Tin Tin's dog was a Wirehaired fox terrier? Anyway;

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/lakelandterriers.html

I don't know if you're an experienced dog owner, but terriers can be very challenging. Good luck anyway, I hope you get the right one for you.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »
I thought Tin Tin's dog was a Wirehaired fox terrier? Anyway;

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/lakelandterriers.html

I don't know if you're an experienced dog owner, but terriers can be very challenging. Good luck anyway, I hope you get the right one for you.
yes Snowy is a fox terrier, I realised that after I posted d'oh!  Similar looking though, and I've seen a couple of white Lakeland terriers recently that are very Snowy-like.  Challenging is not good for us, but thanks for the link - I shall have a read now.

Offline puglove

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »
yes Snowy is a fox terrier, I realised that after I posted d'oh!  Similar looking though, and I've seen a couple of white Lakeland terriers recently that are very Snowy-like.  Challenging is not good for us, but thanks for the link - I shall have a read now.

Ooh, they're a smart little dog, Alf, but quite busy, they're a proper terrier. We went to Oxford to buy one once, but she was as much a Lakeland as I'm Thora Hird. We knew something was dodgy when the "breeder" opened the door and she had a row of dots and "cut here" tattoed on her neck. Her kids were sitting round a table writing to their dad in prison, and under the table was the youngest, poorliest pup I've ever seen, and no other pups or the parents to be seen. We bought her because we felt so sorry for her (she pooed out a pile of worms bigger than herself a couple of days later.) We called her Levi and she grew up to look something like a Patterdale, and  was probably the worst dog we've ever had. As soon as she found her feet she nearly pulled the head off one of our dachshunds, and her favourite foods were wasps and slugs. She was a pain in the arse.

Anyhoo! I hope you find the pug..I mean PUP of your dreams!!
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »

I think these are quite cute and not so challenging; The Bichon Frise

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bichon-frise#/slide/1

Result = happy posting.

Offline puglove

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
Have you looked at Bedlingtons, Alf? They're lovely, and maybe a bit easier than a Lakeland.

Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Alfie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
Ooh, they're a smart little dog, Alf, but quite busy, they're a proper terrier. We went to Oxford to buy one once, but she was as much a Lakeland as I'm Thora Hird. We knew something was dodgy when the "breeder" opened the door and she had a row of dots and "cut here" tattoed on her neck. Her kids were sitting round a table writing to their dad in prison, and under the table was the youngest, poorliest pup I've ever seen, and no other pups or the parents to be seen. We bought her because we felt so sorry for her (she pooed out a pile of worms bigger than herself a couple of days later.) We called her Levi and she grew up to look something like a Patterdale, and  was probably the worst dog we've ever had. As soon as she found her feet she nearly pulled the head off one of our dachshunds, and her favourite foods were wasps and slugs. She was a pain in the arse.

Anyhoo! I hope you find the pug..I mean PUP of your dreams!!
Yikes thanks but, where's the vomiting emoticon?!   @)(++(*  You've put me clean off the idea tbh.  Perhaps we'll stick with a tortoise (unless you have any horror stories about them too....?)

Alfie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
I think these are quite cute and not so challenging; The Bichon Frise

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bichon-frise#/slide/1
They look a bit poncey to me, sorry.  I don't want anything I have to shampoo and blow dry on a regular basis.... 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
We're thinking seriously about getting a dog.  I like Lakeland terriers (Tin Tin fan) but wanted to know a bit more about their temperament and behaviour and so wondered if anyone here had had experience of this breed?

Our youngest son has a miniture schnauzer. He is a lovely dog and is hypoallergenic  ?{)(** , a necessity because our grand daughter has asthma.

I say lovely, while admitting I am not a dog person, don't like them at all.  In fact, scared stiff of them but can sit happily in their home because I know him.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:40:14 PM »
They look a bit poncey to me, sorry.  I don't want anything I have to shampoo and blow dry on a regular basis....

Golden retriever or labrador better? Visit a dog rescue centre and they'll advise you and show you some real dogs too. You might just 'click' with one of theirs.
Result = happy posting.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:28 PM »

Just go for a Pug.  Horrid little horror stories, but such brave souls, and really up for a cuddle if you know what you are dealing with. Just watch the tone of your voice.

Me, I am an Afghan person, forever and always.  But I have owned a couple of really magic Shar Peis.

No dog is ever easy.  They are all a pain in the arse.  It depends entirely on whether or not you really want a dog.  Another baby.

As it happens, I owned dogs long before I ever had the ghastly children.  And no dog of mine ever gave me a hard time, because I wasn't having it.  The ghastly children have proved to be a bit more difficult in the long term.  But there you go.

Back home to the awful Pug Charlotte.  Who on earth in their right mind would name a dog Charlotte?  Poor little soul.  I Rescued her at the age of seven, at which point she instantly went blind and demented.  I suspect that she was hanging about for a sucker like me.
She is ten years old now and absolutely f**ing fine.  And probably one of my wins, if only I knew it.  No chance of her dying any time soon.  Keep on buying dog food.

But whatever breed you choose, do make it a puppy.  This is the only way in which you will be able to know what happened to your dog, and that it was never ill treated.

Sorry , I do get a bit pissed off by this, and generally I would not ever rescue an old dog.  Charlotte was probably a bit too little for it to matter.
She and me get on.  I don't like her attitude, and she isn't wild about mine, but she will never be hurt in my house.

The truth of the matter is that I never got over the death of Hamlet.  Not my first dog, or my last.  But actually the only one.
This is what happens to dog people like me.  if we re very lucky then we get clobbered.  But We don't give up on dogs because this is who we are.  But you do have to try it.

So don't discard the idea.  Just know that it might be a bit more important to some silly puppy.

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »
Thanks for all the advice folks.  I'm not really a dog person, but I am getting pressure from my son to get a pet and I figured he would get the most out of a dog.  But who am I kidding?  It will be us parents walking it, feeding it and picking up its crap and I'm not really sure if we're the right sort of people for that.  Plus we both work so not ideal.  I could have the dog at work but I doubt it would thank me for it as it would have to sit and behave itself for most of the day.  So, I think all things considered the boy will have to get a pet that is a bit less demanding and we will put a dog on hold until one of us retires some time in the future, or maybe a cat (though they make me sneeze)..   

Online Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 01:51:07 AM »
Thanks for all the advice folks.  I'm not really a dog person, but I am getting pressure from my son to get a pet and I figured he would get the most out of a dog.  But who am I kidding?  It will be us parents walking it, feeding it and picking up its crap and I'm not really sure if we're the right sort of people for that.  Plus we both work so not ideal.  I could have the dog at work but I doubt it would thank me for it as it would have to sit and behave itself for most of the day.  So, I think all things considered the boy will have to get a pet that is a bit less demanding and we will put a dog on hold until one of us retires some time in the future, or maybe a cat (though they make me sneeze)..

This is quite sad, if your son actually understands.  And if he is a dog person

I was twenty before I got a dog of my own, and have never been without since.  Apart tom having Romulus put down. After which I was without a dog for six months. it was awful. I was bereft.

But your son has to find out for himself if this is what he wants to do.  You can't do it for him.  So best not for the time being.  And picking up the poop isn't much fun, unless you really want the dog.
You simply cannot do this for someone else.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »

You definitely don't sound like dog people. That might mean everyone, including the dog, ends up unhappy.
Cats are the next best thing I suppose (can't stand 'em myself). If you don't mind the noise a bird can be a good companion. I had a really good relationship with my budgie as a child; he did tricks fo me, sat and watched TV wth me, shared bits of food, he had a big personality for such a small creature.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »

We have a beautiful cat, really affectionate and great fun to play with. Our grandchildren adore him. My daughter in law hated cats.  Weird isn't it that folk say this but if you say you hate dogs you are looked on as some form of sociopath.   @)(++(*

Anyway, said daughter in law and family offered to keep our cat for a week while we were on holiday. She changed her views completely and has now welcomed a gorgeous little kitten into their family.

Cats are so much easier to care for if you are working. Clever little creatures know how to use their litter tray by six/eight weeks ............no training needed, no messy accidents. Cats keep themselves well groomed and don't need to be walked on cold winter nights.

Your sneezing would lessen and may actually disappear as you grow accustomed to the cat, that has happened to several folk I know.

Definitely recommend a kitten.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.