Author Topic: Was Gonçalo Amaral fair game given the content of his book?  (Read 139742 times)

Cariad

Re: Was Gonçalo Amaral fair game given the content of his book?
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »

That would probably be libellous...amaral is a convicted criminal so we can call him disgraced

Ok, we'll stick to 'behaved disgracefully' then.

That's definitely not libellous.

disgraceful
dɪsˈgreɪsfʊl,-f(ə)l/Submit
adjective
shockingly unacceptable.

stephen25000

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
I guess that if Dr Amaral is fair game for writing a book, Dr K Mccann is too.

Should I start referring to her as 'mccann, the disgraced former GP'?

What's sauce for the goose...

Estuarine

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
What is not factual in this article?

Probably not a lot. It is written with some emotive terms leading the reader down a particular path. Setting it out in bullet points would be better to judge against but the journos editor would give him the bums rush for doing that. "The investigating officer" is not half as good as "a fat sweaty old geezer in suit that fits him where it touches, swilling coffee and noshing cakes and spilling it down his front"................................if you see what I mean. But as my old man used to say there are ways and ways of telling the truth. The trick is being able to sort the wheat from the chaff. >@@(*&)

Offline Carana

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Probably not a lot. It is written with some emotive terms leading the reader down a particular path. Setting it out in bullet points would be better to judge against but the journos editor would give him the bums rush for doing that. "The investigating officer" is not half as good as "a fat sweaty old geezer in suit that fits him where it touches, swilling coffee and noshing cakes and spilling it down his front"................................if you see what I mean. But as my old man used to say there are ways and ways of telling the truth. The trick is being able to sort the wheat from the chaff. >@@(*&)

Personally, I think that he could have left out the descriptive remarks about his appearance. Immaculately dressed officers are also capable of jumping to premature conclusions. That said, I haven't found anything factual to quibble about.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Personally, I think that he could have left out the descriptive remarks about his appearance. Immaculately dressed officers are also capable of jumping to premature conclusions. That said, I haven't found anything factual to quibble about.

Mr Amaral had an exemplary record and much success as a police officer especially against drug distributors so it was unfortunate that his minions let him down.  One mistake doesn't make him a criminal as some like to suggest.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
Mr Amaral had an exemplary record and much success as a police officer especially against drug distributors so it was unfortunate that his minions let him down.  One mistake doesn't make him a criminal as some like to suggest.

So you think it is okay for a Senior Detective to cover up a crime and then lie about it in Court?

He might have been a whizz at catching drug runners, but he knew diddly squat about finding missing children.  He totally ignored any evidence that didn't point to the parents on both counts.

Lyall

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
So you think it is okay for a Senior Detective to cover up a crime and then lie about it in Court?

He might have been a whizz at catching drug runners, but he knew diddly squat about finding missing children.  He totally ignored any evidence that didn't point to the parents on both counts.

What evidence, in this case?

Offline John

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

He did an excellent job in the Cipriano case putting those two dysfunctionals behind bars.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
What evidence, in this case?

Don't make me laugh.

Lyall

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
Don't make me laugh.

Talk is cheap, facts are golden. What evidence are you saying he ignored, in this case?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:27 PM »
He did an excellent job in the Cipriano case putting those two dysfunctionals behind bars.

He certainly knew how to get confessions beaten out of witnesses.  And how to run a publicity campaign against parents.
And if you think that The Cipriano Verdict was safe after what you went through then you have lost your way.

Estuarine

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
So round we go again.  8)><(
The investigation continued for nine months after Dr Amaral was given the elbow. The archiving report and the archiving dispatch were signed off by the relevant justice. Whatever the justice may or may not have been reported to have said he "signed off" on the documents. We all know what those documents said because they are available for all to read.

Offline Carana

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

According to whom?

Offline Angelo222

De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
According to whom?

Apparently Amaral single handedly worked out that drugs and contraband were being run into small coves.  Like wot they had been doing in Cornwall for more than 500 years.