Other High Profile Cases and Persons of Interest > Twenty years on, the mystery of who shot Jill Dando still prevails.

Barry George revisited.

(1/233) > >>

Nicholas:
Whilst Barry George's "odd" behaviour may not make him a murderer, doubts still remain.

Investigative journalist Mark Williams Thomas looked again at the the case and presented his findings which appeared to point away from George. But how do any of us know whether he had been influenced in any way by his bias?

Barry George is not innocent enough for compensation!

High Court judges ruled “There was indeed a case upon which a reasonable jury, properly directed, could have convicted the claimant of murder."

To what evidence were the judges referring?

Nicholas:
Barry George's uncle has written a book about his nephew and has stated he felt bitter for a long time after George was released from prison. He talks of how he and fellow supporters were ultimately dumped by George; even though he'd put in years of campaigning?

He also makes a statement regarding a comment Barry George made after watching some film on TV about a murder.

His book is an eye opener and IMO paints a very different story to the one his sister Michelle Bates has portrayed. Especially given the fact she always alluded to me she had kept out of all the feuds?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=barry+george+mappa&source=bl&ots=Osv57MD-fI&sig=t2RQTED03Q5wPp3fZSSWGXI5PAk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixl8LMh5XaAhXqKsAKHfBfDZM4ChDoATAKegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=barry%20george%20mappa&f=false

He concludes his book with:

"God is in the detail if one digs deep enough"

My own opinion on this case is; if one digs deep enough into the facts, all isn't as it appears.

Barry George is most definitely not as odd or indeed dumb as his family want us to believe IMO. I'm with the prosecution on this. Expert opinion is just that. George has spent convictions for attempted rape and indecent assault and is still deemed a risk to the public. Are we to ignore these facts because his murder conviction was overturned on a technicality?

Eleanor:

--- Quote from: Stephanie on March 31, 2018, 11:32:04 AM ---Barry George's uncle has written a book about his nephew and has stated he felt bitter for a long time after George was released from prison. He talks of how he and fellow supporters were ultimately dumped by George; even though he'd put in years of campaigning?

He also makes a statement regarding a comment Barry George made after watching some film on TV about a murder.

His book is an eye opener and IMO paints a very different story to the one his sister Michelle Bates has portrayed. Especially given the fact she always alluded to me she had kept out of all the feuds?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=barry+george+mappa&source=bl&ots=Osv57MD-fI&sig=t2RQTED03Q5wPp3fZSSWGXI5PAk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixl8LMh5XaAhXqKsAKHfBfDZM4ChDoATAKegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=barry%20george%20mappa&f=false

He concludes his book with:

"God is in the detail if one digs deep enough"

My own opinion on this case is; if one digs deep enough into the facts, all isn't as it appears.

Barry George is most definitely not as odd or indeed dumb as his family want us to believe IMO. I'm with the prosecution on this. Expert opinion is just that. George has spent convictions for attempted rape and indecent assault and is still deemed a risk to the public. Are we to ignore these facts because his murder conviction was overturned on a technicality?

--- End quote ---

All a bit too convoluted for me, Stephanie.  He was eventually acquitted of this particular crime because the evidence was deemed to be flawed.

He should at least have been given some compensation for the fact that The Prosecution offered flawed evidence.  If you can't trust The Prosecution then where does that leave Justice?

Nicholas:

--- Quote from: Eleanor on March 31, 2018, 01:02:17 PM ---All a bit too convoluted for me, Stephanie.  He was eventually acquitted of this particular crime because the evidence was deemed to be flawed.

He should at least have been given some compensation for the fact that The Prosecution offered flawed evidence.  If you can't trust The Prosecution then where does that leave Justice?

--- End quote ---

Yes I agree. The law can be extremely complex and difficult to follow, especially so in cases like Barry George, but it's why cases like this are tested on their own merits.

In the Supreme Court ruling, Lord Phillips, the then president, said the "mere quashing" of a conviction could not be a "trigger for compensation".

He said the new "test" would not guarantee that all those entitled to compensation were innocent. But those who could not prove their innocence beyond reasonable doubt would not be "precluded" from obtaining compensation.

Nicholas:

--- Quote from: Eleanor on March 31, 2018, 01:02:17 PM ---All a bit too convoluted for me, Stephanie.  He was eventually acquitted of this particular crime because the evidence was deemed to be flawed.

--- End quote ---

What is your understanding of the evidence in this case?

Barry George has yet to show conclusively that he is innocent of the crime he was originally convicted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356120

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version