Author Topic: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.  (Read 125642 times)

Offline Carana

Re: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.
« Reply #1140 on: July 09, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...

http://news.sky.com/story/nato-set-for-long-stand-off-with-russia-10496448

And, no, it's not totally OT. Who stands to gain from a fragile Europe?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1141 on: July 09, 2016, 09:01:06 PM »

What do the "screw you" voters find to be a rational and sustainable way forward?

The people the article was about live difficult lives. They have limited incomes which they would struggle to improve. Those who have jobs are doing hard jobs which give little job satisfaction. Many have housing problems such as private landlords who delay or refuse repairs or council houses which are unsuitable because the best stock has been sold off. They're bombarded with adverts for things they can't really afford. Life's a daily struggle and an unexpected bill can cause chaos. In addition they have been attacked by having their benefits squeezed, making life even more difficult.

In their shoes would you be sitting down and working out a rational and sustainable way forward? I very much doubt it.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #1142 on: July 09, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »
The people the article was about live difficult lives. They have limited incomes which they would struggle to improve. Those who have jobs are doing hard jobs which give little job satisfaction. Many have housing problems such as private landlords who delay or refuse repairs or council houses which are unsuitable because the best stock has been sold off. They're bombarded with adverts for things they can't really afford. Life's a daily struggle and an unexpected bill can cause chaos. In addition they have been attacked by having their benefits squeezed, making life even more difficult.

In their shoes would you be sitting down and working out a rational and sustainable way forward? I very much doubt it.

You said:

"In their shoes would you be sitting down and working out a rational and sustainable way forward? I very much doubt it."

I don't know.

These are still members of the voting public who, in theory, are meant to weigh up the pros and cons of the issues involved in the referendum.

if they are too tired to do so, or aren't capable of doing so, then they may well rely on their usual partisan media, which, on many topics, was peddling - at best - half-truths.

People voted for whatever they perceived to be the promise of a better future.

And then the orchestrators (on both sides) all waved goodbye.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1143 on: July 09, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »
You said:

"In their shoes would you be sitting down and working out a rational and sustainable way forward? I very much doubt it."

I don't know.

These are still members of the voting public who, in theory, are meant to weigh up the [ censored word ] and cons of the issues involved in the referendum.

if they are too tired to do so, or aren't capable of doing so, then they may well rely on their usual partisan media, which, on many topics, was peddling - at best - half-truths.

People voted for whatever they perceived to be the promise of a better future.

And then the orchestrators (on both sides) all waved goodbye.

I think most people did their best, but very few had the time or motivation to conduct in-depth research on the issue. As you say, they read the papers, listened to a few 'experts', picked a side and voted. That applies to all the voters, not just the 'leavers'.

The government probably made a big mistake asking it's apathetic and poorly informed electorate to make a decision but the fact remains that it did.

If that decision is rejected or over-ruled it should be clear to all that democracy in Britain is a sham.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1144 on: July 10, 2016, 07:31:05 PM »
David Cameron went to watch Andy Murray win Wimbledon this afternoon. Murray pointed him out appreciatively and the crowd booed. How the mighty are fallen.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #1145 on: July 10, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
The second most popular question on google after the referendum...

What is the EU ?

Most popular question...

What happens if we leave the EU  ?

%&5%£ %&5%£

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1146 on: July 10, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
David Cameron went to watch Andy Murray win Wimbledon this afternoon. Murray pointed him out appreciatively and the crowd booed. How the mighty are fallen.

Was he being booed by the apathetic and poorly informed public

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1147 on: July 10, 2016, 09:46:14 PM »
Was he being booed by the apathetic and poorly informed public

Only the ones with £2.5K for a ticket.[more from the touts] @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1148 on: July 10, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »
Only the ones with £2.5K for a ticket.[more from the touts] @)(++(*
They are rude and ignorant however much they paid

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1149 on: July 11, 2016, 07:22:24 AM »
They are rude and ignorant however much they paid

He caused mayhem, it serves him right.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #1150 on: July 11, 2016, 07:59:58 AM »
He caused mayhem, it serves him right.
As a keen advocate of leaving the EU, shouldn't you be grateful to Mr Cameron?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1151 on: July 11, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »
As a keen advocate of leaving the EU, shouldn't you be grateful to Mr Cameron?

I'm a keen advocate of democracy. I have made a case for leaving in an attempt to provoke someone into making a case for staying. It didn't work, though, I still haven't seen any factual case for remaining, just vague references to economics.

I don't think anyone has reason to be grateful to him. He agreed to hold a referendum out of fear of Farage. When the people voted against his recommendations he ran away instead of doing his duty.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1152 on: July 11, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »

I'm a keen advocate of democracy. I have made a case for leaving in an attempt to provoke someone into making a case for staying. It didn't work, though, I still haven't seen any factual case for remaining, just vague references to economics.

I don't think anyone has reason to be grateful to him. He agreed to hold a referendum out of fear of Farage. When the people voted against his recommendations he ran away instead of doing his duty.

Don't you find economics to be a major consideration?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1153 on: July 11, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
Food for thought?

Brexit voters missed the lesson of 1776

(...)

Writing about the Arab Spring in the New York Times in 2013, political scientist Sheri Berman summed up the conventional view: “Establishing a stable democracy is a two-stage process. First you get rid of the old regime; then you build a durable democratic replacement.”

(...)

The lesson from 1776 could not be clearer. Establishing a stable political regime is a two-stage process. First you figure out what shape you want your new regime to have; only then do you get rid of the old one. Wake up, world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/brexit-voters-missed-the-lesson-of-1776/2016/06/28/b221cdd2-3cad-11e6-a66f-aa6c1883b6b1_story.html

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1154 on: July 11, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
Food for thought?

Brexit voters missed the lesson of 1776

(...)

Writing about the Arab Spring in the New York Times in 2013, political scientist Sheri Berman summed up the conventional view: “Establishing a stable democracy is a two-stage process. First you get rid of the old regime; then you build a durable democratic replacement.”

(...)

The lesson from 1776 could not be clearer. Establishing a stable political regime is a two-stage process. First you figure out what shape you want your new regime to have; only then do you get rid of the old one. Wake up, world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/brexit-voters-missed-the-lesson-of-1776/2016/06/28/b221cdd2-3cad-11e6-a66f-aa6c1883b6b1_story.html

Yeah, we missed the lesson of 1776, we're not all as old as you Carana.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.