Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531696 times)

Offline Carana

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #1800 on: June 24, 2018, 12:23:11 AM »
Would it have been an offence in Portugal for Amaral to have published his opinion of the investigation if the McCanns were still under suspicion by the judiciary? (277/2)

That's the question I raised the other day... witth no response.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg469898#msg469898

Offline misty

« Reply #1801 on: June 24, 2018, 12:29:24 AM »
That's the question I raised the other day... witth no response.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg469898#msg469898

Sorry, I missed that - but I think my question takes it on a stage further. If their arguido status was re-imposed shortly after the book's publication, would Amaral have broken any law in Portugal?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1802 on: June 24, 2018, 12:43:11 AM »
Sorry, I missed that - but I think my question takes it on a stage further. If their arguido status was re-imposed shortly after the book's publication, would Amaral have broken any law in Portugal?

Was it reimposed?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #1803 on: June 24, 2018, 12:47:21 AM »
Was it reimposed?

No, it wasn't but it could have been at any time if SC are saying 277/2 was the correct filing article. So, a genuine question - as Amaral wouldn't shouldn't have known if the arguido status may be imposed at any time, did he break the law or not by writing about the parents in the manner he did?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1804 on: June 24, 2018, 12:47:46 AM »

That was raised as well

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg469841#msg469841

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1805 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »
No, it wasn't but it could have been at any time if SC are saying 277/2 was the correct filing article. So, a genuine question - as Amaral wouldn't shouldn't have known if the arguido status may be imposed at any time, did he break the law or not by writing about the parents in the manner he did?

I’m sorry but I think you’re clutching at straws there Misty.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline misty

« Reply #1806 on: June 24, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
That was raised as well

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg469841#msg469841

So the case was in a state of suspension rather than formally closed, despite the fact that no criminal case was actually pending against anybody?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1807 on: June 24, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »
So the case was in a state of suspension rather than formally closed, despite the fact that no criminal case was actually pending against anybody?
"State of suspension" could be a good description.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1808 on: June 24, 2018, 06:55:24 AM »
AFAIK, 279/1  would seem to be most likely re the reopiening.

The discussion was about which point in the article it had been archived under: 277/1 or  /2. And why the SC had apparently opined that it couldn't have been opened under 277/1, when seemingly it already had been 3 years previously.

Perhaps I'm having a "senior moment", but for the moment I really don't understand.

279/1 was quoted when the case was reopened.

For all the reasons the Judges gave, the case was archived under 277/2. The SC Judges corrected a mistake by the prosecutors. They did it over a year ago and there has been no official protest as far as I know.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1809 on: June 24, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »

What makes you think the case was 'formally closed'?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #1810 on: June 24, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
What makes you think the case was 'formally closed'?

Article 276 states that the inquiry should be either concluded or brought to trial. Was the preliminary judicial inquiry (2nd phase) under Article 286 ever brought into play?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1811 on: June 24, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »

Not sure, but I don't think so as the argument would be that it was published in good faith at the time. It might have curtailed further runs of it, the media circuit and presumably the documentary if the status had been reimposed before that was due to appear.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1812 on: June 24, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »
Not sure, but I don't think so as the argument would be that it was published in good faith at the time. It might have curtailed further runs of it, the media circuit and presumably the documentary if the status had been reimposed before that was due to appear.

But that didn’t happen so not sure what the purpose of these musings are ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1813 on: June 24, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
Article 276 states that the inquiry should be either concluded or brought to trial. Was the preliminary judicial inquiry (2nd phase) under Article 286 ever brought into play?

Do you mean the instruction phase, Misty? If so, not AFAIK.

Offline misty

« Reply #1814 on: June 24, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
Do you mean the instruction phase, Misty? If so, not AFAIK.

I used this as a reference for the sequence of investigative phases:-
http://www.ecba.org/extdocserv/projects/JusticeForum/Portugal180309.pdf