Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531859 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #2055 on: September 29, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
when I first joined the forum I saw taht anne as a memeber here had translated the archiving report as "prove their innocence"....i pointed out to her that the report used the word comprovar rather than provar....she then agreed that the correct translation was demonstrate innocence....rather than prove innocence.
so i have corrected anne once....i think the same thing has happened with the SC judgeemnt....with the word proof being used in trnsaltion instead of evidence

Why was Anne translating the archiving report, I winder, when it's already been done in the files. Please note this is the McCanns request for annulment, not the SC judgement.

If you 'think' it 'might' be wrong, that's up to you. If you want to convince others, present some evidence, 
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2056 on: September 29, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
Why was Anne translating the archiving report, I winder, when it's already been done in the files. Please note this is the McCanns request for annulment, not the SC judgement.

If you 'think' it 'might' be wrong, that's up to you. If you want to convince others, present some evidence,

I dont see the wird definitive at the bottom of page 5....has Anne paraphrasef

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2057 on: September 29, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
I dont see the wird definitive at the bottom of page 5....has Anne paraphrasef

Sorry, I don't follow. Is that evidence of something? Page 5 of what?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2058 on: September 29, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
Sorry, I don't follow. Is that evidence of something? Page 5 of what?

On the link you posted with your quote.. I'll repost it

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2059 on: September 29, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
Where the lawyers are still arguing that the archiving dispatch is 'verified proof of innocence'?

Just as (this STJ's Section) could not assert that it is not acceptable to assimilate the aforementioned filing order to a verified proof of innocence.
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Annulment_request.htm

From Anne's translation the verified proof of innocence is from page 5 but I don't see ...the verified...in  the Portuguese... Is Anne paraphrasing

I've looked again... Anne does seem to be paraphrasing... So it is far from an accurate translation
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:24:30 AM by Davel »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2060 on: September 29, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
From Anne's translation the verified proof of innocence is from page 5 but I don't see ...the verified...in  the Portuguese... Is Anne paraohrasing

Are you expecting literal translations? I think you would find a literal translation would make no sense in English. All translators paraphrase in order to convey the meaning of a text.
http://translatorthoughts.com/2015/06/translation-techniques-paraphrasing/

The important point is that the McCann's lawyers are arguing that the archiving dispatch can be seen as proof of their innocence.

arquivamento equiparavel a comprovação de inocentacao
archiving comparable to proof of innocence
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2061 on: September 29, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
Are you expecting literal translations? I think you would find a literal translation would make no sense in English. All translators paraphrase in order to convey the meaning of a text.
http://translatorthoughts.com/2015/06/translation-techniques-paraphrasing/

The important point is that the McCann's lawyers are arguing that the archiving dispatch can be seen as proof of their innocence.

arquivamento equiparavel a comprovação de inocentacao
archiving comparable to proof of innocence
comparable to is not the same as definitive... So we cannot rely in the translations as being accurate... You asked for proof and I have supplied it....
From what I have seen the McCann's claim the presumption  of innocence...and the archiving report as evidence of innocence..... Which it is
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:53:15 AM by Davel »

Offline John

« Reply #2062 on: September 29, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »
From the report you quote...

under article 277-2 of the CPP.

As far as the appellants are aware of, the archiving at stake was carried out, in the course of the investigation, because sufficient proof had been gathered that the then arguidos did not commit any facts of a criminal relevance and in any way whatsoever, this conclusion substantiating an archiving for factual reasons,

It is clear the person who translated this is continually using the word proof....instead of evidence....the archiving report is evidence of innocence...but not proof.

I would concur with that davel. When we carried the daily trial transcripts I found it necessary to improve some of the translations routinely. I agree that in this particular case however, the word should have been evidence and not proof.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #2063 on: September 29, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
I would concur with that davel. When we carried the daily trial transcripts I found it necessary to improve some of the translations routinely. I agree that in this particular case however, the word should have been evidence and not proof.

The big problem is that some people think translation is just word for word substitution .
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2064 on: September 29, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »

You wouldn’t have had the translations to correct if Anne hadn’t been so generous with her time John. Your post comes across as rather ungrateful.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2065 on: September 29, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
The big problem is that some people think translation is just word for word substitution .

I certainly don't think that... But again the word comprovar has been used not provar.... As in the archiving despatch.
The problems arise when translators put in the own words and change the meaning....I don't see that... Verified proof of innocence... Is anywhere near a correct translation

Offline John

« Reply #2066 on: September 29, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »

I totally agree, the entire sentence has to be translated in order to give proper meaning to any text.  Unfortunately, translating text can never be an exact science as languages differ so much.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #2067 on: September 29, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
You wouldn’t have had the translations to correct if Anne hadn’t been so generous with her time John. Your post comes across as rather ungrateful.

Not at all. I was extremely grateful to Anne for the time she spent on the trial. She attended court daily and recorded everything which was said.  She took photographs which even the press and media didn't get and all of this she did freely and at her own expense.  What you do not realise however is the amount of work that was done behind the scenes by both Anne and myself in getting the translations into a form suitable for publication.  Some reports were reviewed several times by both of us in order to get as close as possible to the original meaning.

Unfortunately, the translations produced after the first instance trial were not overseen by me and so I cannot comment on their validity.  I'm sure anyone reading them will notice the difference in the English language used since a Portuguese translator can never produce a perfect English version and vice versa.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:34:04 AM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2068 on: September 29, 2018, 11:45:57 AM »
Not at all. I was extremely grateful to Anne for the time she spent on the trial. She attended court daily and recorded everything which was said.  She took photographs which even the press and media didn't get and all of this she did freely and at her own expense.  What you do not realise however is the amount of work that was done behind the scenes by both Anne and myself in getting the translations into a form suitable for publication.  Some reports were reviewed several times by both of us in order to get as close as possible to the original meaning.

Unfortunately, the translations produced after the first instance trial were not overseen by me and so I cannot comment on their validity.  I'm sure anyone reading them will notice the difference in the English language used since a Portuguese translator can never produce a perfect English version and vice versa.

Thank you for clarifying how much good work Anne actually did.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline John

« Reply #2069 on: September 29, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »
Thank you for clarifying how much good work Anne actually did.

I should add that interpreting and translating ordinary text is one thing but legalese is a nightmare at the best of times and translating Portuguese legalese into English legalese is the ultimate nightmare but Anne did a remarkable job.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:11:30 PM by John »