Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531834 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #3195 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
That's what they were hoping for imo.

I think that's more than a tad ridiculous

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3196 on: August 31, 2019, 08:02:00 PM »
If it’s that hard to find then the place obviously wasn’t rocked to its foundations by all the anger (not to mention fury).

I remember the feeling as one of incredulity tempered by the hope that Kate and Gerry would have the strength to take their case to the ECHR which they have done to the obvious chagrin of one or two posters here.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3197 on: August 31, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »
I haven’t made any comment about you whatsoever. what’s the problem here?

There is none.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3198 on: August 31, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
I think it will be very interesting to see what happens..
Of course if it was a storyline in coronation street you and others would probably be intrigued
You never know what they weave into the story line.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3199 on: September 01, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
I remember the feeling as one of incredulity tempered by the hope that Kate and Gerry would have the strength to take their case to the ECHR which they have done to the obvious chagrin of one or two posters here.

Why incredulous? The first decision had already been overturned on appeal. If their application to the ECHR is as poorly prepared as their case in the Portuguese courts was you can expect to be incredulous again in my opinion.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3200 on: September 01, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Why incredulous? The first decision had already been overturned on appeal. If their application to the ECHR is as poorly prepared as their case in the Portuguese courts was you can expect to be incredulous again in my opinion.
If their case was so poorly prepared they never would have won it in the first instance.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3201 on: September 01, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
From what I have read the SC made a factual error in it's interpretation of the presumption of innocence.  They claimed it didn't apply in a civil case and from what I have read they are wrong .
There is a case on the ECHR website where the POI is used to successfully challenge the right to free speech.
The SC seem to be using the example where the POI cannot be used in a civil claim for compensation in a case such as Barry George

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3202 on: September 01, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
From what I have read the SC made a factual error in it's interpretation of the presumption of innocence.  They claimed it didn't apply in a civil case and from what I have read they are wrong .
There is a case on the ECHR website where the POI is used to successfully challenge the right to free speech.
The SC seem to be using the example where the POI cannot be used in a civil claim for compensation in a case such as Barry George

The presumption of innocence is necessary to ensure a fair trial in a criminal court. In a civil case neither side is entitled to the presumption of innocence, so the SC judges were factually correct.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3203 on: September 01, 2019, 11:16:15 AM »
The presumption of innocence is necessary to ensure a fair trial in a criminal court. In a civil case neither side is entitled to the presumption of innocence, so the SC judges were factually correct.
Do you have a cite for this?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3204 on: September 01, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »

Cite

I dont think you have a very good understanding of the issues involved. 
I have provided a cite as you are, aware from an ECHR case where the POI was applied to a civil case.
If you actually  read what the SC said on the issue... And the cite they provided... You will see that the POI does not apply to a civil claim for compensation FOLLOWING a criminal trial
Barry George being a good example

Perhaps the SC didn't understand  the principle either
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:32:39 AM by Davel »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3205 on: September 01, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »

I couldn't name one sceptic ,including myself, who has an issue with the McCanns going to the ECHR. It is just interesting in many ways, and so a discussion ensued via a forum.  Some people just look at any word in a sentence and go gaga about 'innocent'parents. They also seek out people who do not believe the parents to be so 'innocent' as no crime has been defined as yet. just tot call them  McCann bashers. I love it!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3206 on: September 01, 2019, 11:50:57 AM »
Cite

I dont think you have a very good understanding of the issues involved. 
I have provided a cite as you are, aware from an ECHR case where the POI was applied to a civil case.
If you actually  read what the SC said on the issue... And the cite they provided... You will see that the POI does not apply to a civil claim for compensation FOLLOWING a criminal trial
Barry George being a good example

Perhaps the SC didn't understand  the principle either

Civil cases look at liability, not at guilt, so the presumption of innocence isn't relevant in a civil case. The point in this case is how and why it came to be included by the claimants and if that was justified.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3207 on: September 01, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Civil cases look at liability, not at guilt, so the presumption of innocence isn't relevant in a civil case. The point in this case is how and why it came to be included by the claimants and if that was justified.

G  you can post this a thousand times. Some people will not understand, or want to accept it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:19:29 PM by Miss Taken Identity »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3208 on: September 01, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »

I've provided a cite as you must be aware as you replied to it... Where the POI was used and considered valid by the ECHR in a civil case.  Do you really not remember.. I'll post it, again later.
That shows your claim... And the claim of the SC... To be totally wrong

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3209 on: September 01, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »

I think its now 3 times Ive posted this...it shows that in a civil case for defamation the accused are entitled to the presumption of innocence. This is from the ECHR website...it proves conclusively that i am right an you are wrong..

Ruokanen and Others v. Finland
6 April 2010
The applicants were an editor-in-chief and a journalist and a publishing company. They
complained about their conviction of defamation following publication of an article stating
that a student had been raped in September 2000 by members of a baseball team at a
party to celebrate their victory in the Finnish championship. The applicants had been
ordered to pay over 80,000 euros in damages to compensate each member of the
baseball team.
The Court held that there had been no violation of Article 10 (freedom of expression)
of the Convention, finding that the domestic courts had struck a fair balance between the
competing interests involved, i.e. the applicants’ right to freedom of expression and the
right to reputation of the alleged perpetrators of a crime. It observed in particular that
imperatives other than matters of public concern had to be weighed up before an
incident was reported by the media to the public as fact. The right to presumption of
innocence and reputation of third parties was of equal importance
especially where
serious accusations of sexual misconduct were concerned

www.echr.coe.int/Documents/FS_Reputation_ENG.pdf.   page 11
ReplyQuoteNotify

Its about time you accepted you are wrong

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:19:59 PM by Davel »