Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531917 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #3330 on: September 03, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »
Interesting little debate, so what do I think?

As soon as you say "I think I'm right" it seems like you are presenting your opinion as a fact.  But I must admit even I would fall into that trap, so I'm going to let it go.

If I say I think I'm right then I'm stating opinion. This, was, established some time ago as I remember

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3331 on: September 03, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »
So any Police Officer can say what he likes without proof?  There's interesting.
I don't know about just any police officer but a retired ex-police officer can it seems.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3332 on: September 03, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »
G-unit was showing that the McCanns were aware of the "Duty of Reserve".
The ECHR only deal with human rights... I don't see that the duty of reserve will come into it.  The duty of reserve may have been relavent in the Portuguese court....but I dont think has, any relevance, at the, ECHR
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:40:51 AM by Davel »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3333 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:20 AM »
I don't know about just any police officer but a retired ex-police officer can it seems.

He has been allowed to by the Portuguese justice system... Whether the ECHR agree us, another matter

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3334 on: September 03, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
If I say I think I'm right then I'm stating opinion. This, was, established some time ago as I remember
If you are right, your view can't be improved on so it becomes equivalent to a fact.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3335 on: September 03, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
Let's get back on topic please.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:32:35 PM by John »
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3336 on: September 03, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
If you are right, your view can't be improved on so it becomes equivalent to a fact.

If I'm right it is a fact. .but I haven't claimed to be right... Why the persistent argument

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3337 on: September 03, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
The ECHR only deal with human rights... I don't see that the duty of reserve will come into it.  The duty of reserve may have been relavent in the Portuguese court....but I dont think has, any relevance, at the, ECHR

You are forgetting that the applicants must give the national courts the opportunity to deal with any violations of the Articles. The McCanns gave the courts two examples of how, in their opinion, Article 6 had been violated. The courts disagreed.

In their application to the ECHR, the McCanns must use the same examples otherwise they won't have given the national courts the opportunity to redress the alleged violation. IMO.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline The General

« Reply #3338 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
If I'm right it is a fact. .but I haven't claimed to be right... Why the persistent argument
But if you're not sure that you're right, how do you know the other person isn't either?
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3339 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
You are forgetting that the applicants must give the national courts the opportunity to deal with any violations of the Articles. The McCanns gave the courts two examples of how, in their opinion, Article 6 had been violated. The courts disagreed.

In their application to the ECHR, the McCanns must use the same examples otherwise they won't have given the national courts the opportunity to redress the alleged violation. IMO.

I'm not forgetting anything.. Again you are, stating your opinion as fact.
Are you suggEsting the mccanns case is inadmissible because they failed to give the domestic court the chance to remedy their greivance?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3340 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
But if you're not sure that you're right, how do you know the other person isn't either?
They may be...the case may be thrown out... Who knows... I just happen to think it won't be based in reading past cases

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3341 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »
I'm not forgetting anything.. Again you are, stating your opinion as fact.
Are you suggEsting the mccanns case is inadmissible because they failed to give the domestic court the chance to remedy their greivance?

That is a condition of applying to the ECHR;

The principle of subsidiarity requires that national courts must have the opportunity to
prevent, detect and redress the alleged violation(s) themselves. If they fail to provide
redress, an application may be made to the Court.
https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Q_A_Lawyers_Guide_ECHR_ENG.pdf

In addition;

Violations of Articles of the Convention must be pleaded substantively at first instance, with specific
reference to the applicable Convention Articles. It is essential to plead the same Convention arguments on appeal, then to the highest national court, or any other constitutional court or court of cassation which acts as a court of last resort.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3342 on: September 03, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »

The principle of subsidiarity requires that national courts must have the opportunity to
prevent, detect and redress the alleged violation(s) themselves. If they fail to provide

In addition;

Violations of Articles of the Convention must be pleaded substantively at first instance, with specific
reference to the applicable Convention Articles. It is essential to plead the same Convention arguments on appeal, then to the highest national court, or any other constitutional court or court of cassation which acts as a court of last resort.

So is, that a, yes... A no... Or a don't know

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3343 on: September 03, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »

In addition;

Afaiac... And I would think afa the Mccanns lawyers, are concerned... All this has already been done

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3344 on: September 03, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
Your opinion almost exclusively aligns with Davel.
Your opinion rarely aligns with a 'sceptic', irrespective of the topic.

Of course it does.  Who do you think I am? 

But I am awfully glad that you said "Almost" and "Rarely".  Thanks at least for that.