Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531898 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #3675 on: February 08, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »
What you have to prove is that what he said was libellous. Something which the McCanns and their lawyers failed to prove. You believe it's true and that the Portuguese courts couldn't see that it was true, but that doesn't mean it is true, it's still just your opinion.

If you read the SC judgement it talks about the balance between the right to a good name and freedom of expression. The SC decided that freedom of expression was more important than the McCanns right to reputation which clearly to me is accepting amarals book affected the McCanns reputation and was therefore defamatory

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3676 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »
What you have to prove is that what he said was libellous. Something which the McCanns and their lawyers failed to prove. You believe it's true and that the Portuguese courts couldn't see that it was true, but that doesn't mean it is true, it's still just your opinion.
In a just system, the onus should be on the libeller to prove their claims are true, not on the libelled to prove that they have not committed the acts for which the libeller has accused them. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3677 on: February 08, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »
First read your own post.. It seems to confirm what I have said. I can recall one particular case where a journalist criticised  a judge.. SC ruled in the judges favour.. ECHR in the journalists favour. I'm not going to find it at the moment and that's why I worded my post so that a cite wasn't necessary
For future reference just preface any post with "From what I remember" and no cite is needed.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3678 on: February 08, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
Do you have examples showing that Portugal has been criticised only for putting judges and the establishment first?

Wasn't hard to find..

https://ipi.media/qa-portuguese-journalist-on-strasbourg-victory-in-defamation-case/

And interferesting..........

, I was realistic, knowing that the power of the judge I had criticised would probably lead to my losing the case in Portugal and, later, to my winning the case at the European Court of Human Rights. That’s the way things are in my country, unfortunately.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:46:17 PM by Davel »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3679 on: February 08, 2021, 01:51:15 PM »

This comment is just playing at Semantics.  I don't have to prove anything.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3680 on: February 08, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »
In a just system, the onus should be on the libeller to prove their claims are true, not on the libelled to prove that they have not committed the acts for which the libeller has accused them.

Absolutely Correct.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3681 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:23 PM »

My point is that as Amaral was found not guilty of libelling the McCanns by the highest court in Portugal it cannot be stated here as a fact that he did libel the McCanns.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3682 on: February 08, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »
My point is that as Amaral was found not guilty of libelling the McCanns by the highest court in Portugal it cannot be stated here as a fact that he did libel the McCanns.
Cite for where the SC said not guilty of libel... I think you are totally misguided and mistaken. The SC admitted amarals claims damaged the McCanns reputation... That's defamation accepted

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3683 on: February 08, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
Please provide a cite

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3684 on: February 08, 2021, 02:16:10 PM »

Amaral was not found "Not Guilty" of Libelling The McCanns.  Unless you can provide a Cite, of course.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3685 on: February 08, 2021, 02:20:26 PM »

Then there will be no problem for Amaral in finding a British publisher to progress his writing career in Britain where he apparently has a following for his literary work.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline The General

« Reply #3686 on: February 08, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »
Then there will be no problem for Amaral in finding a British publisher to progress his writing career in Britain where he apparently has a following for his literary work.
Book signing tour, audiobook, Kindle, podcasts, YouTube, I'm a Celebrity......kkeeerrchhing.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3687 on: February 08, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »
Book signing tour, audiobook, Kindle, podcasts, YouTube, I'm a Celebrity......kkeeerrchhing.

And Dancing on thin Ice

Offline The General

« Reply #3688 on: February 08, 2021, 02:33:52 PM »
And Dancing on thin Ice
I'm sure they use a regulation ice rink with 3/4" being the nominal thickness, over a reinforced concrete slab.
I doubt it though, as he may never have even seen an ice rink.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3689 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »

Amaral might run into a bit of trouble on that front.  In fact he already has from what I've heard.