Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531870 times)

Offline Icanhandlethetruth

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #3750 on: February 09, 2021, 01:01:34 PM »
To be fair, claiming he can prove something as a fact goes beyond mere opinion, surely?

Not really, its his opinion that he can prove it from his hypothesis of the evidence.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3751 on: February 09, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »

I can hardly wait for The ECHR.  What a hoot that is going to be.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3752 on: February 09, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
Once again it doesn’t quite state that does it?  It actually states that subsequent civil proceedings (mainly compensatory) to criminal proceedings, the presumption of innocence does not apply. The key word is subsequent. The meaning is totally different from your implication.

"Nevertheless, the Court of Justice of the European Union has decided that the principle of presumption of innocence does not apply to subsequent civil proceedings (mainly compensatory) to criminal proceedings, at risk of depriving the victim of her own right to accede to the courts and to be compensated (Cf. the judgements in Y vi's Norvvay (56568/00) of 11/ 5/2003 and Diacendo vs Italy (124/04) of 05/07/2012)."

I'm fairly sure I know what it means.. Why do you think the SC mentioned it when afaiac it has no relavenve to this case.. Did they misunderstand it..
To me that can be the only explanation
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:18:45 PM by Davel »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3753 on: February 09, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
I can hardly wait for The ECHR.  What a hoot that is going to be.

I agree.. I've looked at a lot of law and past cases... The McCanns seem to have a very strong case

« Reply #3754 on: February 09, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »
I'm fairly sure I know what it means.. Why do you think the SC mentioned it when afaiac it has no relavenve to this case.. Did they misunderstand it..
To me that can be the only explanation

You really are priceless., That you presume to know more about Portuguese legal matters than Portuguese Supreme Court judges in a Portuguese court. But I will humour you, why did they mention it then?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3755 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
Not really, its his opinion that he can prove it from his hypothesis of the evidence.
So if he claimed he saw Gerry carrying Madeleine's body through PdL then that would be opinion too.  When is making any statement not an opinion?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

« Reply #3756 on: February 09, 2021, 01:31:53 PM »
So if he claimed he saw Gerry carrying Madeleine's body through PdL then that would be opinion too.  When is making any statement not an opinion?

How can it be opinion, he is stating a fact that he saw Gerry not a hypothesis from the archiving report that he based his book on. The book is opinion, the SC ruled that, you don’t have to agree with the verdict but please accept it happened.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3757 on: February 09, 2021, 01:34:28 PM »
I agree.. I've looked at a lot of law and past cases... The McCanns seem to have a very strong case

With my past experience I am pretty certain that I can rely on Supporters to behave with decorum.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3758 on: February 09, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »
You really are priceless., That you presume to know more about Portuguese legal matters than Portuguese Supreme Court judges in a Portuguese court. But I will humour you, why did they mention it then?

We all know far too much about Portuguese Supreme Court Judges.

Offline The General

« Reply #3759 on: February 09, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »
With my past experience I am pretty certain that I can rely on Supporters to behave with decorum.
Let's hope they do, eh, given the depths plumbed thus far.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3760 on: February 09, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »

Do you accept its not relevant to this case.. If it isn't then why mention it.
If the Mcccanns win then it looks as though I do understand the law better. Portugal success rate for accepted cases at the ECHR  is 4 %.. That doesn't look too good

Offline The General

« Reply #3761 on: February 09, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »
Do you accept its not relevant to this case.. If it isn't then why mention it.
If the Mcccanns win then it looks as though I do understand the law better. Portugal success rate for accepted cases at the ECHR  is 4 %.. That doesn't look too good
So they're due a win. Positive signs.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3762 on: February 09, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
How can it be opinion, he is stating a fact that he saw Gerry not a hypothesis from the archiving report that he based his book on. The book is opinion, the SC ruled that, you don’t have to agree with the verdict but please accept it happened.
Of course the book is opinion... But is it honest opinion and does that rule apply. In Portugal. The ECHR seem to have a similar principle to it but Amaral falls far short of it.
It may be opinion but he's stating it as fact. Opinion can be defamatory

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3763 on: February 09, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
Let's hope they do, eh, given the depths plumbed thus far.

Keep on digging.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3764 on: February 09, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »
He stated as fact that he could prove Madeleine died in the apartment did he not?  So it's not an opinion.   You could argue that if he says "I saw Gerry" it was only his opinion he saw Gerry and he may have been mistaken.  How do you decide what is and isn't someone's opinion?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly