Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531844 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #4080 on: February 11, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
I'm saying no-one can predict if a book is going to sell well or not.

Cristovao's Book sold so why should Amaral think his wouldn't?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4081 on: February 11, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
So is this libellous from Brunt and Sky...

Sky

'Police Match Madeleine DNA To Hire Car'

8:26pm UK, Monday September 10, 2007

Portuguese police say they have found firm DNA evidence that the body of Madeleine McCann was in the boot of the family's hire car five weeks after she went missing, sources have told Sky News.

A policeman delivers flowers to the McCanns

Sky crime correspondent Martin Brunt, speaking from Portimao, said police were "adamant" they had found the most "damning" evidence yet implicating either one or both of the McCanns in their daughter's death

You know as well as I do that was a devastating report for the reputation of the McCanns.  I'd say it was "potentially libellous" on the part of Sky News.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4082 on: February 11, 2021, 07:38:06 PM »
You know as well as I do that was a devastating report for the reputation of the McCanns.  I'd say it was "potentially libellous" on the part of Sky News.

its not libellous...Brunt is simply repeating the PJs claim

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4083 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
its not libellous...Brunt is simply repeating the PJs claim
But the PJ didn't make their claims public, did they?   IMO it was a leak designed to undermine the McCanns. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4084 on: February 11, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »
Cristovao's Book sold so why should Amaral think his wouldn't?

I don't know what Amaral thought, and neither do you. I know what he said and if he was lying as has been implied that can't be proved imo.

It seems he made the correct decision to resign when the Portuguese judges ruled that his freedom of expression was not restricted, as it would have been had he stayed in his job.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4085 on: February 11, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
But the PJ didn't make their claims public, did they?   IMO it was a leak designed to undermine the McCanns.

Yet Brunt and Sky repeated it.

Looking at the evidence i think the PJ actually beleived it.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4086 on: February 11, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »
I don't know what Amaral thought, and neither do you. I know what he said and if he was lying as has been implied that can't be proved imo.

It seems he made the correct decision to resign when the Portuguese judges ruled that his freedom of expression was not restricted, as it would have been had he stayed in his job.

You dont know what the MCcanns thought but have claimed you do

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4087 on: February 11, 2021, 07:54:37 PM »
Yet Brunt and Sky repeated it.

Looking at the evidence i think the PJ actually beleived it.
Two wrongs don't make a right.  Three wrongs makes it even worse.  It is a matter of training and learning how to interpret DNA results.  Even the members on the forum would hold multiple views on the subject.
Moderation

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4088 on: February 11, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
I'm saying no-one can predict if a book is going to sell well or not.
Even if it sold less than 10 copies the intent was still to cash in on the case IMO
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:37:51 PM by G-Unit »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4089 on: February 11, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »

He clearly wanted to go on to mouth off about the case, not retire quietly to tend his vegetable patch.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4090 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:25 PM »
Surely that is overstepping the mark Brietta.  The discussion was on topic, but it appeared that Eleanor was getting herself into difficulty.  I thought she should have deleted or at least amended her comment, but it was still there.

I have replied to this on the appropriate thread, Rob.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4091 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:04 PM »

He states quite clearly that his gripe was because he "responds to the need I felt to defend myself, having been discredited by the institution for which I worked for more than twenty-six years, without being given any chance to explain myself, publicly or within the institution itself."

His wife wrote of the ignominy of his last day at work when apparently no-one spoke to him.

To cap it all the tax guys caught up with his bad debt and helped themselves to a chunk of his pension until the debt was cleared.

Did it never occur to you that it might have been preferable for Amaral to resign and be able to claim the residue of his pension he was entitled to retain from the tax guys rather than gamble on perhaps losing it all if his forthcoming torture trial went badly for him.
Which in the event was rather prescient of him.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4092 on: February 12, 2021, 01:05:51 AM »
He states quite clearly that his gripe was because he "responds to the need I felt to defend myself, having been discredited by the institution for which I worked for more than twenty-six years, without being given any chance to explain myself, publicly or within the institution itself."

His wife wrote of the ignominy of his last day at work when apparently no-one spoke to him.

To cap it all the tax guys caught up with his bad debt and helped themselves to a chunk of his pension until the debt was cleared.

Did it never occur to you that it might have been preferable for Amaral to resign and be able to claim the residue of his pension he was entitled to retain from the tax guys rather than gamble on perhaps losing it all if his forthcoming torture trial went badly for him.
Which in the event was rather prescient of him.
Are we supposed to feel sorry for him or something?

Prescient "having or showing knowledge of events before they take place"  Well his boss probably told him what was going to happen.  That is the way it works when you get the boot.
Moderation

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4093 on: February 12, 2021, 07:19:39 AM »
Even if it sold less than 10 copies the intent was still to cash in on the case IMO
There’s no IMO about it.  He wrote the book as a commercial endeavour.  The book which was about the case was to make him money.  He couldn’t be sure how much prior to publication but he knew it would earn him something.   Therefore it is not an opinion to say he cashed in on the case.  He did.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4094 on: February 12, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
There’s no IMO about it.  He wrote the book as a commercial endeavour.  The book which was about the case was to make him money.  He couldn’t be sure how much prior to publication but he knew it would earn him something.   Therefore it is not an opinion to say he cashed in on the case.  He did.
Did the issue of making money come into the appeal to the ECHR.  I'm thinking the first court hearing went hard on the sales of the book and the copies on hand.  But does any of that come into the current situation? 
Moderation