Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 531822 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #4875 on: January 17, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »
In a civil trial the accusor must prove their allegations. Witness Maria Isabel Stilwell gave evidence, but all she could offer is 'a feeling'. The allegation was not provable.

"ID - Did the attention of the public and the media decrease after the publication of the book and the broadcast of the documentary?
IS says she "has a feeling" it did.

ID - Are there numbers, notes supporting this?
IS says that as a newspaper editor she knows when an issue is important."
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2411.0
you can’t prove the book didn’t harm the search can you?  Thought not.  @)(++(*
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4876 on: January 17, 2023, 09:07:47 AM »
you can’t prove the book didn’t harm the search can you?  Thought not.  @)(++(*

I don't need to.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4877 on: January 17, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »
I don't need to.
that’s beside the point, the fact is you couldn’t anyway even if you did need to.  Perhaps you will now learn not to ask me such similarly ridiculous questions in future.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4878 on: January 17, 2023, 09:30:21 AM »
Bearing in mind that Madeleine could have been in France, I remember that a lot of people around here were convinced that The McCanns had killed Madeleine, so they certainly weren't looking out for her, although I remained mindful for a very long time.  And Amaral was responsible for their attitude because people in general thought that he knew what he was talking about.

I was working for an English couple at the time who owned a house here and a house in Praia da Luz and they believed Amaral, although they were more concerned with how it all affected their bookings.  But they did eventually become rather more sceptical about The PJ.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4879 on: January 17, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »
I don't need to.

Of course you don't.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4880 on: January 17, 2023, 09:37:00 AM »
that’s beside the point, the fact is you couldn’t anyway even if you did need to.  Perhaps you will now learn not to ask me such similarly ridiculous questions in future.

The difference between me and the McCanns is that they did need to prove their allegation in court.
Result = happy posting.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4881 on: January 17, 2023, 09:47:55 AM »
Of course you don't.

Nor does anyone else
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4882 on: January 17, 2023, 09:58:14 AM »
The difference between me and the McCanns is that they did need to prove their allegation in court.
I think it's a reasonable conclusion for them to have held, however impossible to prove and they should have been advised of that from the off imo.  I guess they allowed their hearts to rule their heads which is never a good thing when it comes to pursuing any legal action. 

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4883 on: January 17, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »
I think it's a reasonable conclusion for them to have held, however impossible to prove and they should have been advised of that from the off imo.  I guess they allowed their hearts to rule their heads which is never a good thing when it comes to pursuing any legal action.

It kept Madeleine in The News.  Fifteen years later and here we still are.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4884 on: January 17, 2023, 10:35:22 AM »
It kept Madeleine in The News.  Fifteen years later and here we still are.
Good point.  They were simply pursuing any and every action they could to keep the fight to discover what happened to their daughter alive.  Some actions were more successful than others.  And - at the end of the day "Madeleine" by Kate McCann outsold Amaral's tome by a massive factor, so in the battle of the books they won that one hands down.  And the investigation finally got going again and on the right course, having initially been led up a blind alley. 

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4885 on: January 17, 2023, 10:44:00 AM »
Bearing in mind that Madeleine could have been in France, I remember that a lot of people around here were convinced that The McCanns had killed Madeleine, so they certainly weren't looking out for her, although I remained mindful for a very long time.  And Amaral was responsible for their attitude because people in general thought that he knew what he was talking about.

I was working for an English couple at the time who owned a house here and a house in Praia da Luz and they believed Amaral, although they were more concerned with how it all affected their bookings.  But they did eventually become rather more sceptical about The PJ.

I think the problem is that everyone believed Amaral at the time and until very recently.

The McCanns did not take immediate action when his book was first published - they were far too busy campaigning and looking for their missing daughter.

But as the only people who were actively looking for Madeleine in the firm belief she might still be a living breathing child as there is absolutely no evidence to the contrary, they were best placed to make the assessment about what was and what was not prejudicing public opinion.

The propaganda hive built around Amaral and his cronies was deemed by them to be the worst factor damaging their at the time lone search for Madeleine.
As the people most in the know about the effect the lies were having, they took legal action to stop it.

I think they were perfectly within their rights to do so and I think that at the time it was absolutely the correct decision for them to make bearing in mind that the alternative would have been to roll over and allow Amaral to say and print whatever nonsense came into his head without challenge.

That would have blown any case they had for continuing the search for Madeleine right out of the water.

The McCanns were doing their utmost to find Madeleine: Amaral was doing his utmost to convince the world Madeleine was dead.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:01:33 AM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4886 on: January 17, 2023, 10:49:20 AM »

There is an insurmountable chasm between you and the McCanns.

They were looking for their missing child.

You are a self confessed member of an organisation diametrically opposed to everything the McCanns stand for.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4887 on: January 17, 2023, 10:57:56 AM »

I think they had no choice VS.  I think it was a pragmatic decision taken to halt the frenzy of misinformation on the airwaves.  Which I for one really do think it was aimed at ensuring Madeleine joined Joana in the box marked "sorted".

I think it is instructive that judges throughout the long procedures continually found in their favour.  Always to be overturned at the appeal stage.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4888 on: January 17, 2023, 10:59:11 AM »

They shared it with their lawyer who included it in her case. She can hardly be blamed if Kate insists on clinging to her opinions.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4889 on: January 17, 2023, 11:02:11 AM »
I think they had no choice VS.  I think it was a pragmatic decision taken to halt the frenzy of misinformation on the airwaves.  Which I for one really do think it was aimed at ensuring Madeleine joined Joana in the box marked "sorted".

I think it is instructive that judges throughout the long procedures continually found in their favour.  Always to be overturned at the appeal stage.

How many judges found in their favour?
Result = happy posting.