Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285213 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
Hmmm. The referendum was advisory.

If the government had done its homework BEFORE a) the referendum and b) before triggering Article 50, the UK might not be in its current mess.

The referendum wasn't legally binding, but the government promised to implement the result in leaflets sent to every household. Ignoring the will of the people as Parliament is currently doing may be legal, but it's clearly not moral imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2019, 02:09:42 PM »
The referendum wasn't legally binding, but the government promised to implement the result in leaflets sent to every household. Ignoring the will of the people as Parliament is currently doing may be legal, but it's clearly not moral imo.

I think Parliament has lost all credibility now, a general election is probably the only way forward.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
I think Parliament has lost all credibility now, a general election is probably the only way forward.

Who would you vote for though John?

Personally I don't like any of them.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
It seems to me that it's time for some truth. Those who don't know should say so. Those with a vested interest should reveal it. Those taking idealogical positions should admit it.

The electorate has been subjected to so much spin and misinformation in recent years that they don't believe what anyone says any more. Therefore they made their own minds up during the referendum campaign and voted for what they wanted.

The electorate was then castigated for the way they voted. Those whose job it was to inform didn't blame themselves for dailing to convince, they blamed the voters for failing to understand. They were told they were too stupid, too racist or too old to know what they were doing.

I think the voters remember that and won't be swayed by those people in future either. I'm not a Conservative but I've seen two recently speaking calmly and, I believe, sincerely; Esther McVey and Jacob Rees Mogg. If another vote becomes a reality it is my opinion that the voters will listen to those who are calm, sincere and reassuring, not the prophets of doom.

I'd agree with most of that except that I'm not at all impressed by either Esther McVey or Jacob Rees Mogg (nor am I by a long list of other politicians for that matter).

Offline Carana

« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »

How would a general election improve the general chaos with only 10 weeks to go until D-day?

Irrespective of who one may vote for in less turbulent times, who else could steer their way through the current Brexit clusterf**k? Extremists on either side of the political spectrum are the last thing the UK needs right now, IMO.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
It's not triggering Article 50 that created the mess, it's the fact that instead of preparing for leaving the EU the government spent the time trying to make a deal. Why? No-one asked them to do that.
So everyone who voted to Leave wanted to do so immediately and without any negotiation, or to have their cake and eat it?  Do you have a cite for this?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
And in its place...?  Who is looking forward to a Brexit under a Labour government?  Anyone?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »

Personally, I don't find the lie on the side of the bus, nor waving the silly red flag that 70+ million Turks were about to invade the UK, very moral either.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
Personally, I don't find the lie on the side of the bus, nor waving the silly red flag that 70+ million Turks were about to invade the UK, very moral either.
Did you watch “An Uncivil War”?  It was terrific, and made you realise what a bunch of self-interested, reckless shysters were behind the Leave campaign.  IMO.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »

If you think your fellow citizens were taken in by the antics of either side you are sadly mistaken in my opinion. Don't underestimate the intelligence of the voters as the politicians did (and some still do).

I think our policians may need remedial English teaching. The man responsible for inventing the 'Brexit' word was just interviewed; a former adviser to Cameron. He was asked why he thought Parliament was so reluctant to leave the EU, given that the electorate voted to leave.

His answer was that 'no-one knows what 'out' means. It seems our politicians are unable to grasp that 'out' is the opposite of 'in'. It doesn't mean out of some things but still in others, or partly out but not just yet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:57:27 PM by G-Unit »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
If you think your fellow citizens were taken in by the antics of either side you are sadly mistaken in my opinion. Don't underestimate the intelligence of the voters as the politicians did (and some still do).

I think our policians may need remedial English teaching. The man responsible for inventing the 'Brexit' word was just interviewed; a former adviser to Cameron. He was asked why he thought Parliament was so reluctant to leave the EU, given that the electorate voted to leave.

His answer was that 'no-one knows what 'out' means. It seems our politicians are unable to grasp that 'out' is the opposite of 'in'. It doesn't mean out of some things but still in others, or partly out but not just yet.
But there are lots of versions of Out.  It’s disingenuous to pretend otherwise.  When the referendum was held, all the leavers I spoke to expected there to be a deal like Norway’s or Canada’s or Switzerland’s, none of them expected to sever ties immediately with no attempt at a negotiated deal.  Where do you get off on the idea that you know what was in the minds of everyone who voted to leave?

Online misty

« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
Corbyn tables vote of no confidence following catastrophic loss in Deal vote.

For: 202  Against: 432. (Majority: 230)

Who's going to get us out of this mess?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
Corbyn tables vote of no confidence following catastrophic loss in Deal vote.

For: 202  Against: 432. (Majority: 230)

Who's going to get us out of this mess?
Corbyn.   @)(++(*

Offline Carana

« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:33 PM »
Did you watch “An Uncivil War”?  It was terrific, and made you realise what a bunch of self-interested, reckless shysters were behind the Leave campaign.  IMO.

Not yet. Was it on Ch4? I watched the undercover Ch4 one about Cambridge Analytica. Quite something.

Offline Carana

« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
But there are lots of versions of Out.  It’s disingenuous to pretend otherwise.  When the referendum was held, all the leavers I spoke to expected there to be a deal like Norway’s or Canada’s or Switzerland’s, none of them expected to sever ties immediately with no attempt at a negotiated deal.  Where do you get off on the idea that you know what was in the minds of everyone who voted to leave?

I distinctly remember being told that various EU countries would be knocking down doors to keep UK trade. The EU will certainly be worse off post-Brexit, but the UK will be the biggest loser. EU countries can diversify tommorow to other members plus all the non-EU countries with which deals have been made.

The UK will have to start from scratch. And trade deals take years, not months. Even the relatively simple Canada deal took 6 years to negotiate and 2 to ratify, IIRC.