Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285214 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #780 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
France is going to do anything to jeopardize expats bringing money into their country or the many French working in the UK.

Why would any country not want (legal) money coming into their country?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #781 on: January 30, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »
A range of comments I found interesting ...in no order.

Nina Schick
‏Verified account @NinaDSchick

It’s going well so far - Spain is lobbying furiously to put the question of Gibraltar back on the table should the WA be reopened. Other member states want to look again at fishing rights in UK waters.

John Simpson
‏Verified account @JohnSimpsonNews

When I was the BBC political editor, in the early 1980s, I was shocked by the ignorance of most MPs about the way the outside world worked. Judging from today's proceedings in Parliament, things don't seem to have changed much.

Peter Grant MP
‏Verified account @PeterGrantMP

Peter Grant MP Retweeted Jessica Elgot

Your reminder, as happens every time MPs vote on Brexit, that Tory MPs are allowed to change their minds from 2 weeks ago but 60 million people are not allowed to change their minds from over 2 years ago.

Peter Jukes
‏Verified account @peterjukes

1. Never call a referendum with a binary choice which actually has multiple answers.
2. Never start a clock on negotiations before you’ve worked out what you negotiating positions is.
3. Don’t expect your trading status to increase because you screwed up 1 and 2.

Scientists for EU
‏ @Scientists4EU
21h21 hours ago

US meat lobby "wants the sale of growth hormone-fed beef, currently banned in the UK and EU, to be allowed in the UK" post-Brexit.

So much control.

Yvette Cooper
‏Verified account @YvetteCooperMP

My speech from earlier on why No Deal & WTO tariffs would hit manufacturing, public services & hard pressed families - and why Govt needs to make sure we don’t end up with a No Deal cliff edge at end of March
https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/1090359099328475138

Two tweets on happily denying what Digby-Jones had said previously:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1090413046927970304

I quite like Digby Jones.... I met him about 40 years ago before he made his mark...met him in a pub called..The Digby.. He wasn't allowed to speak and explain but he campaigned fir Brexit... So that makes me feel better... As he explained the Germans sell us a million cars, a year... Make all our trains... So they will want to trade with us and where the Germans lead others  will follow
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:12:36 PM by Davel »

Offline Carana

« Reply #782 on: January 30, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
I quite like Digby Jones.... I met him about 40 years ago before he made his mark...met him in a pub called..The Digby.. He wasn't allowed to speak and explain but he campaigned fir Brexit... So that makes me feel better... As he explained the Germans sell us a million cars, a year... Make all our trains... So they will want to trade with us and where the Germans lead others  will follow

I listened to him last night and this morning.

So, he's gone from assuring everyone that not a single job would be lost, to now saying that people will be glad in 100 years' time that they'd got out... Not sure about anyone else, but I doubt that I'll be around to verify that.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/801457523949715456/video/1
https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1090587682453868544

There have also been some odd clips last night or this am, in which he stated that the EU wouldn't let the UK
"leave". When asked, he kept dodging the issue: he made it sound as if the UK couldn't leave the EU, but the context was the backstop.

Couldn't make head nor tail of it.

NB

Here's one (interviewed by Andrew Neil).
https://twitter.com/GeoFreC/status/1090622606070505474

Hmm, no sorry, that's just a very short clip. I listened to a longer clip. He also refused to clarify the difference between the EU and the CU in the interview with Femi, posted earlier.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:33:16 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #783 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
Here's another one.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Lord Digby Jones has said he will only support Theresa May's Brexit deal if the backstop clause "is revoked".

The cross-bench peer claimed that the backstop, which would keep the UK tied to the customs union, was not what leave voters wanted.

"Yes I am [supporting Brexit deal], with one exception, which is that I'm not going to vote for it in the Lords if we don't get that last little clause to move which says if we're still in the backstop as they call it, this thing that happens if we haven't sorted out Northern Ireland by the time the transition period ends, then the EU reserve the right to say when we can leave," he told Julia Hartley-Brewer.

Read more at https://talkradio.co.uk/news/lord-digby-jones-says-he-will-only-support-brexit-deal-if-backstop-clause-revoked-18112728968#WTbmGIG3chpjTlQt.99

Offline Carana

« Reply #784 on: January 30, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
Unless this is incorrect, the EU (and May) want a backstop in the WA. Which it is.

It would come into effect in the event of a no-deal, or if no broad deal is agreed with the EU after the transition period - which can be extended once, if need be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-44615404

Offline Sunny

« Reply #785 on: January 30, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
Unless this is incorrect, the EU (and May) want a backstop in the WA. Which it is.

It would come into effect in the event of a no-deal, or if no broad deal is agreed with the EU after the transition period - which can be extended once, if need be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-44615404

Sorry Carana what is a WA?
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #786 on: January 30, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
Sorry Carana what is a WA?

Sorry, Withdrawal Agreement.

Offline Angelo222

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:39:24 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #789 on: January 30, 2019, 04:48:40 PM »
Oh dear. Farage (and Bridgen yesterday) waffling about Article 24 of the GATT. Again.

My best guess is that their idea orginated from the ERG. All the actual WTO trade negotiators that I read have been banging their heads trying to point out that their understanding is simply wrong. It came up again yesterday evening in the Commons and Stephen Baker pointed out that their understanding of it was wrong.

But it seems to be a cornerstone of how they think they can sail with a no-deal exit.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1090641013570502657

I have more links if anyone is really interested.

Sir Ivan Rogers tries to explain...
https://twitter.com/BackTheMacUK/status/1090642385435009025
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:54:30 PM by Carana »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #790 on: January 30, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »
I think it's too late to blame campaigners for the way people voted. All campaigns have a goal; to ensure their view prevails. In an ideal world campaigners would carry out careful research and present an honest case. In the real world they don't. Anyone who doesn't know that is living in a bubble.

It's also too late to suggest that those who voted to leave were deceived wuthout realising it. Those who think their fellow citizens are easily duped are treating them just as the media and some politicians did. It suggests that the poor ignorant easily led voters made a mistake. How patronising.

I think the truth is that people knew what they preferred and voted for it. It doesn't matter what their reasons were, it's the result that matters.
Idon’t think it’s patronizing to say that some if not most people who voted in the referendum didn’t fully understand the ramifications of Brexit, details which are now much clearer. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #791 on: January 30, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
Idon’t think it’s patronizing to say that some if not most people who voted in the referendum didn’t fully understand the ramifications of Brexit, details which are now much clearer.

It's a bit like anything really. Take the Poll Tax. The people experienced it and rejected it. For all they knew they were jumping from the drying pan into the fire, but they didn't care so long as they got out of the frying pan.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #792 on: January 30, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
It's a bit like anything really. Take the Poll Tax. The people experienced it and rejected it. For all they knew they were jumping from the drying pan into the fire, but they didn't care so long as they got out of the frying pan.
It’s a bit more complex than the Poll Tax plus no one voted for that one way or the other.  It did cause riots however, perhaps we have those to look forward to later in the year.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #793 on: January 30, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »

A problem is that, once people had experienced the poll tax and expressed their disagreement with it, it was scrapped and life went back to normal.

With Brexit, there won't be any going back. Not for a generation or more and not with the concessions that the UK has had so far.

JRM & co. insist that a no-deal is nothing to worry about, but still don't grasp that Article 24 won't apply, but which they seem to be counting on. And those who think the UK can simply walk away from their side of the divorce bill (the EU also has obligations to fulfill towards the UK) and retain any sort of credibility are dreaming. IMO.

And then there are those who advocate "technological" solutions to the Irish border, but are incapable of explaining what they might be and how they might work. From everything I've read so far, that may not be surprising as they don't exist
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:14:34 PM by Carana »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #794 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
It’s a bit more complex than the Poll Tax plus no one voted for that one way or the other.  It did cause riots however, perhaps we have those to look forward to later in the year.

A dreadful tax.
She who introduced it in Scotland first, will be long remembered .
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.