Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285158 times)

Offline Sunny

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #825 on: January 31, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »
So far. But in the event of a no-deal, what's to stop the UK importing goods (e.g. meat products or whatever else) from e.g. the US or elsewhere with lower phytosanitary standards and trying to re-export it via Ireland to the rest of the EU?

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/06/13/clean-break-why-the-sanitary-and-phytosanitary-framework-matters/

The country of origin would still be where we imported it from unless you are talking about companies committing fraud.  If they were going to commit a fraud of that type they probably would be trying to pass off horse as beef or something equally illegal.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #826 on: January 31, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
The country of origin would still be where we imported it from unless you are talking about companies committing fraud.  If they were going to commit a fraud of that type they probably would be trying to pass off horse as beef or something equally illegal.

I expect most manufacturers / exporters would want to keep to EU rules, but the EU would presumably still want reassurance. It the situation were another country leaving, presumably the UK would also want a similar reassurance that dodgy / banned goods weren't sneaking in. More controls / paperwork than now, I would think, which takes us back to the backstop conundrum.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #827 on: January 31, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
So far. But in the event of a no-deal, what's to stop the UK importing goods (e.g. meat products or whatever else) from e.g. the US or elsewhere with lower phytosanitary standards and trying to re-export it via Ireland to the rest of the EU?

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/06/13/clean-break-why-the-sanitary-and-phytosanitary-framework-matters/

Britain used to import New Zealand Lamb, until they dumped New Zealand, in favour of The EU.

France has had New Zealand Lamb in its super market freezer cabinets for all of the 25 years that I have lived here.  How did that come about?

France is not sheep country, and the price of fresh lamb here is way beyond your average consumer.

Mostly a few odd farmers keep a herd of sheep which they sell off to any comers.  But I wouldn't mind betting that most of it in supermarkets is imported.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #828 on: January 31, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
The reference to 2nd and 3rd generation Irish voters is only one of the misleading statements.
Good luck with responding to the post.

The reference to 2nd and 3rd generation Irish voters is indicative of the attitude of some here  in Scotland who do not like the independence movement, not for political reasons but for entirely different reasons.
I've seen quite enough of Mistaken posts to know exactly her agenda.

Trying to belittle me just doesn't work. Save for  the playground.

I have no agenda I voted with a concience and I am entitld to do so. As the mjority who cared did! 

It is the Irish catholics  who hate the English and that influence was brought across the Irish sea  when the troubles were in full swing.

I have a distrust and dislike of all religions which preach hatred and is complicit in murder/torture rape or men women and children who pay into the coffers for the privelidged pampered holy people- on behalf of God ofcourse.

I see your fustration at not being able to repond to my posts in an adult manner.  oh and so can many others.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #829 on: January 31, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
Britain used to import New Zealand Lamb, until they dumped New Zealand, in favour of The EU.

France has had New Zealand Lamb in its super market freezer cabinets for all of the 25 years that I have lived here.  How did that come about?

France is not sheep country, and the price of fresh lamb here is way beyond your average consumer.

Mostly a few odd farmers keep a herd of sheep which they sell off to any comers.  But I wouldn't mind betting that most of it in supermarkets is imported.

The Uk still import NZ lamb. however, we have a lot of sheep here in Scotland. Those who reside in Skye have a special kind of sheep.  On the mainland the sheep walk along the side of the road and watch for traffic- on skye they just bloody walk right in front of you. I named them the kamakaze sheep!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #830 on: January 31, 2019, 06:12:52 PM »
Trying to belittle me just doesn't work. Save for  the playground.

I have no agenda I voted with a concience and I am entitld to do so. As the mjority who cared did! 

It is the Irish catholics  who hate the English and that influence was brought across the Irish sea  when the troubles were in full swing.

I have a distrust and dislike of all religions which preach hatred and is complicit in murder/torture rape or men women and children who pay into the coffers for the privelidged pampered holy people- on behalf of God ofcourse.

I see your fustration at not being able to repond to my posts in an adult manner.  oh and so can many others.

And yet again your bigotry is shining brightly  and clearly for all to see.

Why you have chosen to bring into the discussion the "hatred of the English " is beyond me.
What on earth the  question of Catholic 2nd and 3rd generation Irish voters has to do with the independence movement is irrelevant.
Seeking independence has nothing to do with hatred of anyone.

It is a pity you have chosen to sully this thread with your unpleasant and bigoted views.
As I have said your agenda is all too clear.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #831 on: January 31, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »

Not quite sure I understand how that market works.

Sheep

Ireland exported 13,000 tonnes of sheep meat to the UK in 2016.
    In the UK market, almost 90% of UK lamb imports come from outside the EU (New Zealand and Australia), while UK exports go predominantly to four EU Member States, with France accounting for 50% of these.
    The key issue for the sheep sector will be the decisions taken on the division of the large EU TRQ for New Zealand lamb– any displacement of NZ lamb imports, which currently go to the UK market, could have a negative impact on the overall value of the EU lamb market.

https://www.ifa.ie/brexit/brexit-ireland/

Offline Erngath

« Reply #832 on: January 31, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
I've been reading that some folk are stockpiling certain food items incase there is a no-deal Brexit.
Having taken delivery of a grocery order this afternoon, I decided to pay attention to where the items originated.
It is sometimes difficult to know as some are labelled packed in the UK but may not be sourced here.
So far the potatoes, carrots, beef, lamb, haddock,cream, butter and fresh beef burgers originate in Scotland.
The cheese is labelled British.
Cucumber from Morocco, sweetheart cabbage  from Spain,  and lager from Italy.
So no need to stockpile any of those except the cabbage and lager.lol.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #833 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »
The Uk still import NZ lamb. however, we have a lot of sheep here in Scotland. Those who reside in Skye have a special kind of sheep.  On the mainland the sheep walk along the side of the road and watch for traffic- on skye they just bloody walk right in front of you. I named them the kamakaze sheep!

I remember the days when the Bus would stop to get some sheep or other off the road.  There was nothing strange about that.  I can't remember if the Bus was late.  It didn't matter.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #834 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »
I've been reading that some folk are stockpiling certain food items incase there is a no-deal Brexit.
Having taken delivery of a grocery order this afternoon, I decided to pay attention to where the items originated.
It is sometimes difficult to know as some are labelled packed in the UK but may not be sourced here.
So far the potatoes, carrots, beef, lamb, haddock,cream, butter and fresh beef burgers originate in Scotland.

Where did the Whiskey come from?  You never can tell these days.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #835 on: January 31, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
In 2015 29% of food consumed in the UK came from the EU, 19% from the rest of the world put together.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #836 on: January 31, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »
Where did the Whiskey come from?  You never can tell these days.

What we have in the house is definitely Scotch Whisky.
I don't like it but can enjoy  a Glayva.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #837 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
In 2015 29% of food consumed in the UK came from the EU, 19% from the rest of the world put together.

It's the Italian food and wine which I will be stockpiling @)(++(*

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #838 on: January 31, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
What we have in the house is definitely Scotch Whisky.
I don't like it but can enjoy  a Glayva.

Don't worry about it.  I'll drink yours.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #839 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
It's the Italian food and wine which I will be stockpiling @)(++(*

You want some Pasta?  I've got loads of it.