Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285208 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #900 on: February 03, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »

Leaving EU without a deal is 'survivable' - Liam Fox
The international trade secretary says not having a deal would put the economy under unnecessary turmoil.

By Rebecca Taylor, political reporter

Sunday 3 February 2019 13:46, UK
https://news.sky.com/story/leaving-eu-without-a-deal-is-survivable-liam-fox-11627019

Not quite the sunny uplands. Is this what people voted for?

Offline Carana

« Reply #901 on: February 04, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
 James Patrick 3rd February 2019   Alternative War, IT, Reportage, Tech   
Kremlin Social Media Backing Jacob Rees-Mogg (2018)

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/02/03/kremlin-social-media-backing-jacob-rees-mogg-2018/

Whodathunkit?

Offline Carana

« Reply #902 on: February 04, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »
An, erm, unusual perspective...

JRM:
    He played down claims that businesses need certainty - a key argument made at the moment by business leaders and MPs arguing for a softer Brexit. When it was put to him that uncertainty about the UK’s future after Brexit was bad for business, he replied:

The truth is, business is all about uncertainty ...

There is no certainty in business. The whole art of business is trying to manage uncertainty. Investment decisions aren’t made for certain facts. You can’t be certain that anyone will buy your car when you have built it. All business is based on uncertainty, and managing uncertainty.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/feb/04/brexit-latest-news-developments-pm-asks-mps-to-find-alternative-arrangements-to-backstop-as-eu-insists-those-ideas-wont-work-politics-live?page=with:block-5c580b78e4b0d86c564387e5#block-5c580b78e4b0d86c564387e5

Offline Carana

« Reply #903 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
Someone attempting to explain at the end of 2017 how these 'elites' think and why. I see no change since, they atill think they're superior;

What explains the idiocy of the liberal elite? It’s their education

it has struggled to understand those strange creatures: ordinary people.

The elite is bemused by what drives these people to make perverse decisions about Brexit......Are they racist, narrow-minded or just stupid? Whatever the reason, ordinary people have frankly been a disappointment.

Why do lawyers, churchmen, the BBC and, indeed, most educated people support the EU — an organisation as saturated with smug self-righteousness as it is with corruption; one which created the euro, which in turn has caused millions of people to be unemployed; an organisation which combines a yawning democratic deficit with incompetence over immigration and economic growth?

Let’s try to understand why members of the elite get so cross when others don’t take the same view of Brexit...as they do.....People talk of a culture of entitlement among those who live on benefits. But the elite has its own entitlement culture. They think that because they studied English literature at Durham they understand the world better than a plumber in Croydon. They think they are superior and therefore their view should prevail. They also think they are morally superior
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/what-explains-the-idiocy-of-the-liberal-elite-its-their-education/

Wouldn't JRM, with hedge funds in Ireland, and what I find to be a patronising tone on matters that he really knows nothing about (or else pretends not to) classify as one of the elite?

Offline Carana

« Reply #904 on: February 04, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
Ah. I'd forgotten that the MP (Daniel Kawczynski, Shrewsbury) who stated categorically that the UK wasn't a recipient of the Marshall Plan is the same one who "formally asked" the government of Poland to veto any motion in the EU to extend Art. 50.

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1090532149760008192

How does that compute with the concept of parliamentary democracy or even UK sovereignty?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #905 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »

Wouldn't JRM, with hedge funds in Ireland, and what I find to be a patronising tone on matters that he really knows nothing about (or else pretends not to) classify as one of the elite?

We have been patronised by all and sundry in my opinion.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #906 on: February 04, 2019, 01:25:24 PM »
We have been patronised by all and sundry in my opinion.

True to a certain extent. And those who were brought up to "respect one's elders / superiors" may not have questioned it.

The captain of the Titanic is no longer around to give his view...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #907 on: February 04, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
True to a certain extent. And those who were brought up to "respect one's elders / superiors" may not have questioned it.

The captain of the Titanic is no longer around to give his view...

That respect was mostly lip service, not sincere imo.The power structure is much less obvious than it used to be. If you didn't pretend to respect certain people they thumped you.or sacked you.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #908 on: February 04, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
That respect was mostly lip service, not sincere imo.The power structure is much less obvious than it used to be. If you didn't pretend to respect certain people they thumped you.or sacked you.

Yes, but I wonder whether that may still be true for a lot of people. You expect a doctor or a lawyer to know their stuff, so why not politicians?

I didn't know what this GATT Art 24 thing was about, so I went to find out. And it's not at all what the ERG claims it is, yet they keep spouting it, in a patronising voice, as some kind of Harry Potter type of magical formula. It's not. LOL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:41:43 PM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #909 on: February 04, 2019, 09:44:45 PM »
Yes, but I wonder whether that may still be true for a lot of people. You expectt a doctor or a lawyer to know their stuff, so why not politicians?

I didn't know what this GATT Art 24 thing was about, so I went to find out. And it's not at all what the ERG claims it is, yet they keep spouting it, in a patronising voice, as some kind of Harry Potter type of magical forumula. It's not. LOL

If people assumed politicians knew their stuff they know better now unless they're blind and deaf. 
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
If people assumed politicians knew their stuff they know better now unless they're blind and deaf.

I never assumed the average politician knew, their stuff... Far from it. Most.. I think..... Are poorly qualified to make, any important decisions... But it doesn't matter because normally they simply vote as they are told to...

Offline Carana

« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2019, 11:10:13 PM »
I, for one, assumed JRM knew what he was talking about when he kept citing Art 24, and so didn't take much notice. Then something else he said later madee me go and check.

Not sure if i can find the clip of him saying, in this patronising voice of his, that the solution was simply to invoke Art. 24.

If I didn't find the situation so serious, I'd find it to be as cringeworthingly funny as the "Office".

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #912 on: February 05, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
I never assumed the average politician knew, their stuff... Far from it. Most.. I think..... Are poorly qualified to make, any important decisions... But it doesn't matter because normally they simply vote as they are told to...

It doesn't matter in this case either. All they need to do is accept the result of the referendum. Refusing to obey the party whips may hamper their promotion prospects. Refusing to obey the result of the people's democratic vote may lose them their jobs.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #913 on: February 05, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
It doesn't matter in this case either. All they need to do is accept the result of the referendum. Refusing to obey the party whips may hamper their promotion prospects. Refusing to obey the result of the people's democratic vote may lose them their jobs.
The fact they some seem prepared to risk both indicates the strength of their beliefs and the fact that they believe they are acting in the country’s best interests, not their own. IMO.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #914 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
The fact they some seem prepared to risk both indicates the strength of their beliefs and the fact that they believe they are acting in the country’s best interests, not their own. IMO.

They might just be listening to those who shout the loudest. I don't think they realise how they are damaging their own and Parliament's credibility.
Result = happy posting.