Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285208 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1410 on: March 03, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
How long do you imagine the process will be delayed while everyone answers more questions?

They keep attempting to buy more time for all kinds of waffly reasons.

The EU has stated time and again that if the UK came back with a concrete plan towards an end-point then they'd seriously consider granting an extension for the time needed (people's vote, or whatever). But they've got "Brexit fatigue" as well.

Even if everyone agreed on a deal tomorrow, there may well need to be a short extension in any case simply to get the legislation through.

Then, of course, there are the EU elections in a few months. Technically, if the UK isn't formally out by then, then they'd need to organise the UK side of the elections...

Offline Carana

« Reply #1411 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
Interesting on the EU car market...

The top 5 European countries for the demand in cars are Romania, Hungary, Lithuania, Greece and Croatia. And the bottom 2 are Ireland and the UK.

Hard to tell, though, how far Brexit is a factor as opposed to simply a vacuum to fill elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1102113861887541249

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1412 on: March 03, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »

The top 5 European countries for the demand in cars are Romania, Hungary, Lithuania, Greece and Croatia. And the bottom 2 are Ireland and the UK.

Hard to tell, though, how far Brexit is a factor as opposed to simply a vacuum to fill elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2017-full-year-europe-car-sales-per-eu-efta-country/amp/

UK 250000 new car Re 2017....Croatia 50000...UK looks like the second largest car market in the EU after Germany

Your post is factually incorrect... If you look at the graph you have posted it's looking at percentage change not numbers of cars sold

What period are these figures for.. It doesn't seem clear... Now the remainers, are peddling misinformation
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:41:38 AM by Davel »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1413 on: March 03, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2017-full-year-europe-car-sales-per-eu-efta-country/amp/

UK 250000 new car Re 2017....Croatia 50000...UK looks like the second largest car market in the EU after Germany

Your post is factually incorrect... If you look at the graph you have posted it's looking at percentage change not numbers of cars sold

What period are these figures for.. It doesn't seem clear... Now the remainers, are peddling misinformation

Sorry? Yes, I know it's percentage growth. I didn't say it was the number of cars.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1414 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »

You said top five countries for demand in cars.... That is not true ...they are not the top five countries  for demand... and it's one six month window... Yet you complain of brexiteers spreading misinformation
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:11:08 AM by Davel »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1415 on: March 03, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
You said top five countries for demand in cars.... That is not true ...they are not the top five countries  for demand... and it's one six month window... Yet you complain of brexiteers spreading misinformation

I don't have a problem with what I said, but you clearly do. Would you have preferred growth in demand? Obviously smaller / poorer countries won't have a comparable demand in numbers and the graph clearly states percentage growth.

And, if you noticed, I also said that it wasn't clear how much of that could be attributed to Brexit.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1416 on: March 03, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »
I don't have a problem with what I said, but you clearly do. Would you have preferred growth in demand? Obviously smaller / poorer countries won't have a comparable demand in numbers and the graph clearly states percentage growth.

And, if you noticed, I also said that it wasn't clear how much of that could be attributed to Brexit.

What you posted just isn't true... I would have preferred the truth.. That's, what I have the problem with... The tweet you link to says.. Everyone else us buying cars.. Just not UK abd Ireland... That isn't true either... Both Norway , Italy, Denmark and Switzerland have seen a decrease..
I'm glad you posted it because it shows the misinformation being spread by remainers ...you should have a problem with misinformation
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:34:22 AM by Davel »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1417 on: March 03, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
What you posted just isn't true... I would have preferred the truth.. That's, what I have the problem with... The tweet you link to says.. Everyone else us buying cars.. Just not UK abd Ireland... That isn't true either... Both Norway , Italy, Denmark and Switzerland have seen a decrease..
I'm glad you posted it because it shows the misinformation being spread by remainers ...you should have a problem with misinformation

I posted the link to the tweet because I can't find a way of simply copying the graph. I never said I agreed with the tweeter's opinion. He seems to attribute it directly to Brexit, whereas I said that the effect wasn't clear.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1418 on: March 03, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »
I posted the link to the tweet because I can't find a way of simply copying the graph. I never said I agreed with the tweeter's opinion. He seems to attribute it directly to Brexit, whereas I said that the effect wasn't clear.

You posted..

That is not true.. Those are not fron the tweet... They are your own words

Offline Carana

« Reply #1419 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
Further to  an earlier post:

A Brexit delay of longer than two months could be illegal unless the UK elects new MEPs, lawyers are warning, appearing to torpedo Theresa May’s strategy.

Article 50 cannot be extended beyond the end of May unless the UK takes part in fresh European parliament elections, according to a legal opinion issued by the German Bundestag.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-delay-article-50-theresa-may-european-parliament-meps-a8803546.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #1420 on: March 03, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »

Channel 4 News
‏Verified account @Channel4News

“David Cameron did the dirty on us and then he just skipped ship.”

Following the 2016 referendum, we spoke to voters in the Leave backing Wiltshire village of Broad Chalke. Now, as the clock ticks down to Brexit day, we revisit its residents to find out if opinions have changed.

(video clip)

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1102196085504786439

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1421 on: March 03, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
Not sure if I've already posted this. With all the fuss about the ECJ, someone took the trouble to actually go  through all 89 rulings involving the UK over the past 30 years, summarising them in an entertaining way (IMO).

Thread:
Jim Grace #FBPE
‏ @mac_puck

I recently looked at "all them rules" that the EC imposed on the UK against our will. The Brexiters also like to bewail the tyranny of the ECJ, but usually cannot cite a single judgement. So here are all 89 judgements against HMG over the last 30 years (3 per year😱). Enjoy...
4:45 AM - 6 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/mac_puck/status/1093158790394978304

A fair number of them are actually about pollution.

A good thread that one.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1422 on: March 03, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
A good thread that one.

I suspect this twitter thread has a similar amount of truth in it as the last one carana posted

Offline Carana

« Reply #1423 on: March 03, 2019, 09:09:37 PM »
I suspect this twitter thread has a similar amount of truth in it as the last one carana posted

Take your issue  up with JATO, as that appears to be the source of the graph.

JATO Dynamics Ltd is a global supplier of automotive business intelligence with headquarters in Uxbridge, London. JATO has offices in 45 countries and provides automotive intelligence for more than 50 markets.[1][2] JATO was founded in 1984 by Jake Shafran for collecting and supplying competitive business intelligence for automotive manufacturers across Europe.[3] Both trade and business media use JATO as an industry source.[4][5][6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO_Dynamics

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1424 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »
Take your issue  up with JATO, as that appears to be the source of the graph.

JATO Dynamics Ltd is a global supplier of automotive business intelligence with headquarters in Uxbridge, London. JATO has offices in 45 countries and provides automotive intelligence for more than 50 markets.[1][2] JATO was founded in 1984 by Jake Shafran for collecting and supplying competitive business intelligence for automotive manufacturers across Europe.[3] Both trade and business media use JATO as an industry source.[4][5][6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO_Dynamics

There's nothing wring with the graph.. It just doesn't support what you claimed it did.. And is further misrepresented by the Twitter post