Author Topic: What was it that jogged Mr Smiths memory?  (Read 9947 times)

Offline John

What was it that jogged Mr Smiths memory?
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
I have separated this thread off since the topic under discussion has changed somewhat.

The image below is what apparently jogged Mr Smiths memory of the events of 3rd May 2007 when he and his family encountered a man carrying a child in the same manner.

Gerry and Kate McCann return from Portugal.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:52:22 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

Re: What was it that jogged Mr Smiths memory?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
None of Martin Smith's kids agreed with him.

In the rogs, I found it interesting that they were trying to remember their own memories (what their individual recollections were) and tried to divorce those from what they had later heard or had otherwise perhaps falsely assimilated. Even to the point of disagreeing with their spouses' recollections.

Such in-depth interviews should have taken place whilst memories were fresh (without the press interference of RM having been made arguido), by officers trained in such interview techniques.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:28:16 AM by John »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
None of Martin Smith's kids agreed with him.

In the rogs, I found it interesting that they were trying to remember their own memories (what their individual recollections were) and tried to divorce those from what they had later heard or had otherwise perhaps falsely assimilated. Even to the point of disagreeing with their spouses' recollections.

Such in-depth interviews should have taken place whilst memories were fresh (without the press interference of RM having been made arguido), by officers trained in such interview techniques.
Mr Smith said the rest of the family, except for his wife who agreed with him, didn't. We don't know whether they said "we can't say" or "he's definitively not the one" (which, imo, would have allowed Mr Smith to desist without feeling a coward).
Did the TP3 wrote a letter begging pardon to Robert M. ? Not many would have reacted as he did. He's really the guy depicted in the Times.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:28:57 AM by John »

ferryman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
except for his wife who agreed with him,

Wasn't Mr Smith's wife ambivalent?

I think she said it could have been Gerry

Offline Carana

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »

Martin didn't say anything much different, except that he was presumably asked to express his doubt on a scale.

ferryman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »

Martin didn't say anything much different, except that he was presumably asked to express his doubt on a scale.

The thing I'd love to know is what Mr Smith thinks now ...

AnneGuedes

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »

Exactly.

Offline Benice

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »

He didn't even say it was Gerry himself who reminded him of the man he saw - it was the way he was holding/carrying his sleeping child that looked familiar to him.       His memory had not been jogged by all the pictures of Gerry that he must have seen previously on TV and in the Press.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

debunker

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Mr Smith said the rest of the family, except for his wife who agreed with him, didn't. We don't know whether they said "we can't say" or "he's definitively not the one" (which, imo, would have allowed Mr Smith to desist without feeling a coward).
Did the TP3 wrote a letter begging pardon to Robert M. ? Not many would have reacted as he did. He's really the guy depicted in the Times.

See above comment. Interesting use of the word 'desist'.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:30:01 AM by John »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
He didn't even say it was Gerry himself who reminded him of the man he saw - it was the way he was holding/carrying his sleeping child that looked familiar to him.       His memory had not been jogged by all the pictures of Gerry that he must have seen previously on TV and in the Press.
Right. It wasn't his face (nobody said so), but the uncomfortable holding that... struck him, which is coherent with his assumed incapacity to recognize the carrier. You don't expect a father to hold his child clumsily and this detail is likely kept in memory.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:30:35 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »
Right. It wasn't his face (nobody said so), but the uncomfortable holding that... struck him, which is coherent with his assumed incapacity to recognize the carrier. You don't expect a father to hold his child clumsily and this detail is likely kept in memory.

I never understood what was clumsy in the way Gerry carried Sean down the steps of an aircraft.

The little boy was, and stayed, sound asleep (despite getting out of seats, out of the plane, all the noise on a tarmac).

This little boy was totally limp in his daddy's arms and his daddy was obviously looking down to see where he was going.

There aren't 10,000 ways to carry a child of that age down such steps.

Could THAT similarity have triggered a flash memory?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:30:57 AM by John »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:17:35 PM »
I never understood what was clumsy in the way Gerry carried Sean down the steps of an aircraft.

The little boy was, and stayed, sound asleep (despite getting out of seats, out of the plane, all the noise on a tarmac).

This little boy was totally limp in his daddy's arms and his daddy was obviously looking down to see where he was going.

Have you seen the video or a photo ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:31:30 AM by John »

Offline Benice

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »

That is exactly what happened in my opinion Carana.  How many other ways are there of carrying a sleeping child of that age and size down aircraft steps?   Only one IMO and that's exactly the same except on the R/H shoulder.    Only a small baby would be carried differently.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:31:56 AM by John »
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
But Mr Smith doesn't say it's the way to carry in itself, it's the fact the carrier did it uncomfortably, as someone who isn't trained to.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:10:49 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline Carana

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

Have you seen the video or a photo ?

Of what? Gerry carrying his little boy down the steps and reading out a statement on the tarmac with his little boy fast asleep on one shoulder? Yes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:32:20 AM by John »