Author Topic: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.  (Read 267374 times)

stephen25000

Re: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.
« Reply #1320 on: July 31, 2014, 07:41:59 PM »
Why didn't the PJ ... they are the lead authority after all?

I agree, all involved should have released the e-fits.

There were no excuses.

Offline misty

« Reply #1321 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »
The Smith e-fits were not released for specific reasons known only to the PJ. I can fully understand the McCanns wanting them suppressed in view of one's similarity to Gerry, when he had credible witnesses placing him elsewhere.
I find it almost unbelievable that in the small parish of Luz not one person appears to have been able to put an alternative name or sighting to those e-fits and that speaks volumes to me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:23:47 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1322 on: August 01, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
The Smith e-fits were not released for specific reasons known only to the PJ. I can fully understand the McCanns wanting them suppressed in view of one's similarity to Gerry, when he had credible witnesses placing him elsewhere.
I find it almost unbelieveable that in the small parish of Luz not one person appears to have been able to put an alternative name or sighting to those efits and that speaks volumes to me.

There could be a very simple reason why the e-fits weren't released earlier. As the parting of ways was less than amicable with Halligen & co., the McCanns may not have actually had them in their possession or may not have had the legal right to reproduce them. Once the Met got involved, they could have put pressure on whoever had them to cough up.

Alternatively, they were advised not to for some reason.

I can't see a reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn't have done otherwise. Withholding them due to the fact that one vaguely resembes Gerry doesn't make sense to me as the other one doesn't, and the fuller-face one resembles numerous other people, including a former PT cop, turned Maddie "expert" (not Amaral for once).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:30:29 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1323 on: August 01, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
I find it almost unbelieveable that in the small parish of Luz not one person appears to have been able to put an alternative name or sighting to those efits and that speaks volumes to me.

Not to me. If you don't want your name, family photos and a confidential statement splashed all over the Internet, it's best to contact the police quietly via Crimestoppers, the Met, or the Madeleine hotline. Or PJ Porto, if recent PT leaks only came from Faro.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:30:55 AM by John »

ferryman

« Reply #1324 on: August 01, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
The e-fits were in the hands of British and Portuguese police by October 2009 and were almost certainly not produced until after the shelving of the first investigation in August 2008, when Martin Smith realised he had been mistaken to suppose the man he had seen was Gerry.

To suggest anything was 'hidden away for 5 years' is patent nonsense.

I think Scotland Yard and the PJ both felt the context a live investigation was necessary to release the efits.

That's why they waited until the crimewatch programme to release it ....

Offline misty

« Reply #1325 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
Not to me. If you don't want your name, family photos and a confidential statement splashed all over the Internet, it's best to contact the police quietly via Crimestoppers, the Met, or the Madeleine hotline. Or PJ Porto, if recent PT leaks only came from Faro.

Had someone already given either police force a positive ID, are we really expected to believe that SY would have been digging up PDL & questioning random witnesses BEFORE asking the PJ to arrest the individual concerned?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1326 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
The e-fits were in the hands of British and Portuguese police by October 2009 and were almost certainly not produced until after the shelving of the first investigation in August 2008, when Martin Smith realised he had been mistaken to suppose the man he had seen was Gerry.

To suggest anything was 'hidden away for 5 years' is patent nonsense.

I think Scotland Yard and the PJ both felt the context a live investigation was necessary to release the efits.

That's why they waited until the crimewatch programme to release it ....

I wonder if he couldn't sleep when he allegedly changed his mind.

"He has not slept and is worried sick. He states he was watching the 10 pm news on BBC and saw the McCANNS getting off the plane and coming down the steps. He states it was like watching an action replay of the night he saw the male carrying the child back in Portugal. He states the way Gerry was carrying his twin triggered something in his head. It was exactly the same way and look of the other male seen the night Maddy went missing. He also watched ITV news and SKY news and inferred it looked like the same person both times carrying the children. Is asking a member of the OP Task Force to ring him back. He was with a group of 9 family and friends the night he saw the male in Portugal. He sounded quite shaken and worried whilst speaking to me."
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1327 on: August 02, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
The whole smith efit subject is extremely suspect.

Smith admits he recognised Gerry from the way he carried a child on the plane steps and admits he didn't get  a clear look at his face. Having then seen Gerry's face multiple times on TV  an e fit is produced which resembles Gerry....totally bizarre
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:38:14 AM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1328 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
Immediately after the event Jane Tanner saw a man carrying a child. 
That event has been systematically rubbished from that day to this.

The people who pore over every word in the files looking for inconsistencies have overlooked the consistencies of the amazing similarities in descriptions of tannerman and smithman; bearing in mind that Jane’s description was given immediately after the event and the other at a remove.

At a time when questions were being asked about Robert Murat – he is eliminated from this sighting when he is specifically mentioned as not being the carrier.

At a time when Madeleine’s parents were arguidos in the case – Madeleine’s father is identified as the carrier.

I have my doubts if the efits come from this source; but you certainly give pause for thought and discussion on the whole sighting, Misty.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:39:58 AM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1329 on: August 02, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Ok, so, back on topic.

The claim that the Smith e-fits were supressesed.

Does anyone remember seeing them e-fits prior to October last year?

No?

Right, that's that one solved then.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1330 on: August 02, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Ok, so, back on topic.

The claim that the Smith e-fits were supressesed.

Does anyone remember seeing them e-fits prior to October last year?

No?

Right, that's that one solved then.

Who do you think suppressed these E-Fits?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1331 on: August 02, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »
That b*stard Amaral  8()(((@#
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1332 on: August 02, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
Who do you think suppressed these E-Fits?

All those who had access.
The Pj had archived the case, so they weren't interested.
Leicestershire police were no longer involved, so they weren't interested.
Who does that leave?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1333 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
That b*stard Amaral  8()(((@#

So glad we agree about something at long last.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1334 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »

Back On Topic, please.