Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 219789 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »

Similar perhaps to the Portuguese " thicko" lorry driver who killed an entire family of of six in Cheshire by breaking the law in using his mobile  while driving?
If a lorry driver killed 6 whilst using his mobile phone, then I, personally, would label him as much more than a 'thicko'.  I would put him inside, and throw away the key.

What is your point?   *%87
What's up, old man?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
If a lorry driver killed 6 whilst using his mobile phone, then I, personally, would label him as much more than a 'thicko'.  I would put him inside, and throw away the key.

A Portuguese lorry driver and no "if " about it.
I'm not surprised that you choose to miss the point!!
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »

A Portuguese lorry driver and no "if " about it.
I'm not surprised that you choose to miss the point!!
I don't choose to miss the point.

According to VS, I am racist because I said that PROBABLY yes PROBABLY, the person driving the wrong way on the wrong carriageway of the A22 would be someone who normally drives on the left, whilst here we drive on the right.

Drunk driver on the wrong carriageway.

&%%6

How simple does it get?

I have no interest in your xenophobia.  The report is clear.  It does not refer to the nationality of the driver, as I said.

You have just done another Dunblane escalation.

Why?   *%87
What's up, old man?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
I don't choose to miss the point.

According to VS, I am racist because I said that PROBABLY yes PROBABLY, the person driving the wrong way on the wrong carriageway of the A22 would be someone who normally drives on the left, whilst here we drive on the right.

Drunk driver on the wrong carriageway.

&%%6

How simple does it get?

I have no interest in your xenophobia.  The report is clear.  It does not refer to the nationality of the driver, as I said.

You have just done another Dunblane escalation.

Why?   *%87

I do wonder if your "news" would have been deemed worthy of posting if it wasn't for the fact that the "drunk" was most likely a "Britto Thicko"??
I doubt it!!
And you accuse me of xenophobia
. &%%6

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

I do wonder if your "news" would have been deemed worthy of posting if it wasn't for the fact that the "drunk" was most likely a "Britto Thicko"??
I doubt it!!
And you accuse me of xenophobia
. &%%6
News and current affairs from the Algarve.

Would you prefer that I stop posting them?
What's up, old man?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
News and current affairs from the Algarve.

Would you prefer that I stop posting them?

Not at all.
You obviously feel that it is a worthwhile exercise.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »
How many countries drive on the 'wrong' side of the road?  How many of those visit the Algarve?  I don't know about the Irish.

But it still suggests a Britto Thicko.

If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, and brays like a donkey, then my money is on donkey.

&^^&*

Oh Dear.  I don't know if you know that I often support my country of choice, and so I understand why you do.  But there has to be a bit of common sense.

I sometimes still go to the wrong door of my car, but I never actually get into it, or drive on the wrong side of the road.

As an expat in France I am pleased that you love Portugal.  It is always a whole new ball game.  And people like you and me aren't hide bound.

I visited the Algarve three times during the Two Glorious Revolutions.  There were Two you know, during which the real horror stories reinvented themselves, and sadly are still of some importance.

The oldest of The judiciary are corrupt.  And still adhere to The Salazar Regime.  Nothing will be done until they rae all gone.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
How many countries drive on the 'wrong' side of the road?  How many of those visit the Algarve?  I don't know about the Irish.

But it still suggests a Britto Thicko.

If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, and brays like a donkey, then my money is on donkey.

&^^&*
You have decided to jump to a prejudiced conclusion, based on zero evidence.  It's a bit like those Daily Mail readers who assume every act of terrorism is by a Muslim, or every person who sticks a knife into another person must be black. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »

And yet you're happy to label a drunk behind the wheel a "thicko".  Bloody bizarre.  IMO. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
A friend of ours soent quite a long time in Germany. After his return he was driving along a quiet road one day when he saw a lorry voming towards him on his side of th road. As they got closer to each other his nerbe broke and he switched to the other side of the road. The lorry driver's nerve went at the same moment and he switched too.They avoided each other in the end and our friend suddenly realised it was him who had been driving on the wtong side.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »
https://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmjornal.pt%2Fportugal%2Fdetalhe%2Fmae-desespera-por-filha-menor-desaparecida-no-algarve%3Fref%3DHP_DestaqueLateral

This is news about a 15 year old girl who went missing 20 days ago from her home in the Algarve.  Her mother suspects paedofilia.

This may be true.  However, the girl's story is much more complex.  The family had moved from Lisbon around a year ago.  There, the girl had run away from home 4 times, and she had also been institutionalised.

I am simply stacking this up for future reference.

The girl's name is Sofia Gil.

The PJ are investigating the disappearance.

What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
https://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmjornal.pt%2Fportugal%2Fdetalhe%2Fmae-desespera-por-filha-menor-desaparecida-no-algarve%3Fref%3DHP_DestaqueLateral

This is news about a 15 year old girl who went missing 20 days ago from her home in the Algarve.  Her mother suspects paedofilia.

This may be true.  However, the girl's story is much more complex.  The family had moved from Lisbon around a year ago.  There, the girl had run away from home 4 times, and she had also been institutionalised.

God help her then.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #297 on: April 13, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
"April has just broken up and in Tavira the weather is not cold, but it is still not on the terrace. The Três Palmeiras restaurant, on the south bank of the Gilão river, is the exception. Outside, the tables are filled with foreigners who arrive in the Algarve looking for beaches with warm water, clean sand and freshly grilled fish. There is no way, however, to go to the island of Deserta, at this time of the year only within the reach of those who have their own boat. "It is our little paradise", says João Diniz, resident and surfer of habitual presence in the island. There, the sand is "white, white" and the water "the most clear of the Algarve", describes.

A few weeks ago, the scenario changed. The rising wind that comes from the Strait of Gibraltar and causes waves with more than two meters brought more than changes of tide. Old rags, tires, appliances, shopping trolleys and much plastic left the shore leaving a litter carpet in the sand."

From today's Diário de Notícias.

There's more, but unless you want to pay for a premium account, there is no point in pasting the link.

Luz is in western Algarve.  Tavira is in eastern Algarve.  The only connection to Madeleine's disappearance that I know of is a very obscure one.

'My' Luz is properly called 'Luz, Lagos'.  That means Luz in the district of Lagos.  That's because the district of Tavira also has a Luz, more properly called 'Luz, Tavira'.  I'd guess they also have a church called Nossa Senhora da Luz.

I have eaten in the town of Tavira, in pre-MBM days, so I wasn't looking for anything other than a restaurant.  My only memory is that we drove around the town 3 times not finding a parking space, and my beloved had lost the will to live.  She was saying loudly it was time to head back to base.

I got out and put her in the passenger seat.  She does not do 'Portuguese' parking.  I do.  I stuck the car half on half off a pavement on a corner.  It would either survive or it wouldn't.  We went off for a stroll in Tavira and a meal. The car was non-dented and non-booked when we came back to return back to our holiday home.

The word Luz is used for other reasons.  One team in the Portuguese first division plays home games at the Stadium of Light.  It is also used in offers of joint electricity and gas from one supplier, when electricity is often referred not as electricity but as luz, or light.
What's up, old man?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #298 on: April 13, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
"April has just broken up and in Tavira the weather is not cold, but it is still not on the terrace. The Três Palmeiras restaurant, on the south bank of the Gilão river, is the exception. Outside, the tables are filled with foreigners who arrive in the Algarve looking for beaches with warm water, clean sand and freshly grilled fish. There is no way, however, to go to the island of Deserta, at this time of the year only within the reach of those who have their own boat. "It is our little paradise", says João Diniz, resident and surfer of habitual presence in the island. There, the sand is "white, white" and the water "the most clear of the Algarve", describes.

A few weeks ago, the scenario changed. The rising wind that comes from the Strait of Gibraltar and causes waves with more than two meters brought more than changes of tide. Old rags, tires, appliances, shopping trolleys and much plastic left the shore leaving a litter carpet in the sand."

From today's Diário de Notícias.

There's more, but unless you want to pay for a premium account, there is no point in pasting the link.

Luz is in western Algarve.  Tavira is in eastern Algarve.  The only connection to Madeleine's disappearance that I know of is a very obscure one.

'My' Luz is properly called 'Luz, Lagos'.  That means Luz in the district of Lagos.  That's because the district of Tavira also has a Luz, more properly called 'Luz, Tavira'.  I'd guess they also have a church called Nossa Senhora da Luz.

I have eaten in the town of Tavira, in pre-MBM days, so I wasn't looking for anything other than a restaurant.  My only memory is that we drove around the town 3 times not finding a parking space, and my beloved had lost the will to live.  She was saying loudly it was time to head back to base.

I got out and put her in the passenger seat.  She does not do 'Portuguese' parking.  I do.  I stuck the car half on half off a pavement on a corner.  It would either survive or it wouldn't.  We went off for a stroll in Tavira and a meal. The car was non-dented and non-booked when we came back to return back to our holiday home.

The word Luz is used for other reasons.  One team in the Portuguese first division plays home games at the Stadium of Light.  It is also used in offers of joint electricity and gas from one supplier, when electricity is often referred not as electricity but as luz, or light.

That was interesting.  You should Blog about that.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

The PJ have located Sofia Gil in Lisbon, at the home of a friend from her old school in that area.  So unlikely to be paedofilia but rather her 5th time of running away from home.
What's up, old man?