Author Topic: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd  (Read 30366 times)

Offline Carana

Re: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
America used to be wonderful.  I wouldn't have minded it 100 years ago.  But I wouldn't be seen dead there now.  Which I could well be.

You sure about that?

100 years ago was the "Prohibition" period.

And the height of the KKK period.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »
"Racist"? Are Americans of a different "race"?
They're all sorts of races. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2021, 11:43:13 AM »
Only Good Cops are Dead Cops is another sign I see regularly displayed at BLM marches.

I don't condone the police killing anyone unless it's in self defense, defense of another.
I find things like that disgraceful and do more harm than good to such causes.  Why can't everyone just be nice and get along?  (A question I used to ask my mother as a child). 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
I have decided that I really don't care.  Three separate Charges for one supposed Crime has got to be a howl a minute.  If you don't get him on one then hope for one of the others.

They got him on all three.  Which one was it?  It surely can't be all three.  Where was he when the other two were going on?

I agree totally, this was so wrong on so many levels.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »
America used to be wonderful.  I wouldn't have minded it 100 years ago.  But I wouldn't be seen dead there now.  Which I could well be.

London isn't far behind. This must be stopped now, the lunatics are taking over the asylum.

Why is it that shooting these criminal thugs is such a bad thing, who would you call in an emergency, a thug or a police officer?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 11:51:45 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »
London isn't far behind. This must be stopped now, the lunatics are taking over the asylum.

Why is it that shooting these criminal thugs is such a bad thing, who would you call in an emergency, a thug or a police officer?
This is such a spurious argument it barely deserves an answer but I shall bless you with one anyway.

Of course it would depend on the emergency and who you were.  If you were calling in a drug debt because you needed the money urgently to pay off another supplier you'd probably call in a thug.  Or if your troublesome husband had pushed you to the limit and you wanted him to swim with the fishes, likewise.  If you are a law abiding citizen who has been the victim of crime (say a shop assistant who has just been given a counterfeit note) then you would undoubtedly call the police, however unless you were also quite morally corrupt and sadistic yourself you would hope that the police dealt with the individual in question fairly and humanely and not kneel on his neck for 9 plus minutes until he died, especially not once he had ceased resisting, and had complied with being handcuffed.  Do you really think the police should be given carte blanche to shoot anyone they fancy shooting, no questions asked?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:15:44 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »

I am a Londoner and I haven't been anywhere near for more than forty years.  I got a serious dose of pollution the last time.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2021, 03:14:44 AM »
This is such a spurious argument it barely deserves an answer but I shall bless you with one anyway.

Of course it would depend on the emergency and who you were.  If you were calling in a drug debt because you needed the money urgently to pay off another supplier you'd probably call in a thug.  Or if your troublesome husband had pushed you to the limit and you wanted him to swim with the fishes, likewise.  If you are a law abiding citizen who has been the victim of crime (say a shop assistant who has just been given a counterfeit note) then you would undoubtedly call the police, however unless you were also quite morally corrupt and sadistic yourself you would hope that the police dealt with the individual in question fairly and humanely and not kneel on his neck for 9 plus minutes until he died, especially not once he had ceased resisting, and had complied with being handcuffed.  Do you really think the police should be given carte blanche to shoot anyone they fancy shooting, no questions asked?

I think you will find that it is the bad guys that are being shot. No loss to society really imo.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2021, 07:09:59 AM »
I think you will find that it is the bad guys that are being shot. No loss to society really imo.
So police are always the good guys and always shoot bad guys and you are happy for them to be licensed to kill, (even if the occasional good guy gets killed by mistake, oh well shit happens?) And you think justice should be delivered at the end of a gun and not by lawful process?  You basically approve a return to the Wild West then.  Incredible, just incredible.

Offline Carana

« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2021, 09:36:42 AM »

Under Minnesota's sentencing guidelines, he faces 12-and-a-half years in prison for his murder conviction as a first-time offender but prosecutors could seek a maximum of 40 years if the judge determined there were "aggravating factors".
https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyds-killer-derek-chauvin-held-in-isolation-for-23-hours-a-day-in-maximum-security-prison-12283411

Seems one of the other officers (Thao) was involved in another case of police brutality against another Black guy (judging by his name) who was just walking home with his pregnant girlfriend.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/minneapolis-officer-complaints-george-floyd/index.html

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #400 on: April 22, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »

Chauvin verdict a blow to ex-police trio awaiting trial over George Floyd death Tou Thao, J Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane to go on trial in August, charged with aiding and abetting Floyd’s murder

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/22/derek-chauvin-conviction-three-former-police-officers-george-floyd
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:24:08 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2021, 05:50:52 PM »

'EXTREMELY UNLIKELY' Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict WILL stand as Biden and Waters’ comments ‘NOT significant enough’ for appeal, expert says

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14735092/derek-chauvin-biden-waters-guilty-verdict-enough-appeal/

Offline Carana

« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
Not sure if it's worth a new thread, so I'll add it here.

This is not directly related to the racial aspect of cases of excessive force, but on the excessive use of force in general. I find it depressingly masochistic.

A US police officer has been accused of dislocating the shoulder of a 73-year-old woman with dementia while arresting her, and then leaving her without medical help for six hours.

Officer Austin Hopp, of Loveland Police Department in Colorado, arrested Karen Garner in June 2020 after she allegedly left a store without paying for about $14 (£9) worth of items.

His body camera footage shows Hopp catching up to her as she walks through a field along a road.

She shrugs and turns away from him and he quickly grabs her arm and pushes her 80lb body to the ground.

She looks confused and repeatedly says: "I am going home."

The arrest, which family members say left her with a fractured arm and a dislocated shoulder, and worsened her dementia symptoms.

In footage from the station after the arrest, told fellow officers "ready for the pop?" as he showed them his body camera footage.

The footage has been released by Ms Garner's lawyer.

The surveillance video captured in the Loveland police station shows two other officers, one male and female, watching the footage with Hopp as he makes the "pop" comment. The female officer, who helped during the arrest, says: "I hate this", and put her head in her hands.

The video then shows her pull her hat over her eyes while another male officer says: "I love it."

At the time the officers were watching the footage, Ms Garner was in a holding cell a few feet away, handcuffed to a bench.

The federal lawsuit filed on her behalf earlier this month said she received no medical care for about six hours after she was taken to jail.

Later in the surveillance video, Hopp and the other male officer fist bump at the part of the body camera footage where Hopp dismisses the concerns of a man passing the arrest scene who stops to object to how Hopp is treating what the man thought was a child.

After watching that part of the body cam video a second time, the second officer on the surveillance video reacts to the man who stopped at the arrest scene by saying: "What are you doing? Get out of here. This is none of your business."

On the police station video, Hopp says he is a little worried that Ms Garner is "like senile and stuff".

Police put Hopp on leave after the lawsuit was filed and announced they would conduct an internal investigation. The arrest is also being investigated by the District Attorney's office and the city.

Loveland police declined to comment on the new video footage from the police station, citing the criminal investigation being conducted at the district attorney's request.

The lawyer representing Ms Garner and her family, Sarah Schielke, said the latest video footage needed to be released to force the department to change.

"If I didn't release this, the Loveland Police's toxic culture of arrogance and entitlement, along with their horrific abuse of the vulnerable and powerless, would carry on, business as usual. I won't be a part of that," she said.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-officer-dislocates-shoulder-of-dementia-sufferer-73-during-arrest/

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #403 on: April 29, 2021, 12:45:35 AM »

Finding Derek Chauvin guilty of murdering George Floyd was a 'no-brainer', juror says

Brandon Mitchell says they could have completed deliberations in an hour to find Derek Chauvin guilty of murdering George Floyd.

Finding Derek Chauvin guilty of murdering George Floyd was a "no-brainer", one of the jurors in the trial has said.

Brandon Mitchell said he and the 11 other jurors could have completed their deliberations within the 10 hours they actually took - and might have finished in just 60 minutes.

They did not need much thinking time, the 31-year-old high school basketball coach added.

"For the most part, we did go in and come straight out," he told NBC's Today.

The jury was unanimous in finding Chauvin guilty last week. The former police officer could now spend decades in jail.

Presenter Craig Melvin asked Mr Mitchell if there was a "tipping point" that made him think Chauvin was guilty.

Mr Mitchell said he found the evidence given by Dr Martin Tobin particularly important, because he "broke everything down but still kept it very scientific".

Dr Tobin, a world-renowned breathing expert, told the courtroom in Minneapolis he had watched the footage of George Floyd's arrest "hundreds of times", and believed the 46-year-old died from a "lack of oxygen".

"That was kind of the point where I was like, okay, I don't know how the defence comes back from this,"
Mr Mitchell said.

He was unsure whether Chauvin could have made a difference by deciding to give evidence.

"But I don't think it would have hurt," he said. "I mean, we found him guilty on all charges, so I don't think it would have hurt. It probably could have only helped him at that point."

Nevertheless, Mr Mitchell said he thought the "evidence was overwhelming that he was guilty, in my opinion. I thought it was a no-brainer".

He told the TV network: "After Dr Tobin and all the other witnesses and all the evidence, I mean, I didn't see anything, any reason why we should have taken longer than an hour (to reach verdicts)."

Asked about Chauvin's demeanour during the trial, Mr Mitchell said the now convicted murderer "looked like he was very confident the first week/week and a half".

But that confidence weakened as "more and more witnesses came up".

Chauvin and his team of lawyers "seemed like they were deteriorating, their confidence, and it was getting lower and lower and lower as the trial went on", Mr Mitchell said.

Craig Melvin brought up reports claiming one of the jurors had been "on the fence", asking Mr Mitchell: "What ultimately brought that one juror around?"

Mr Mitchell replied: "I wouldn't necessarily say they were on the fence. I think they just wanted to do their due diligence and make sure that they understood the terminology correct and they understood exactly what the judge's instructions were in relation to that specific charge."

It was suggested to Mr Mitchell that "some corners of (the) media" felt the verdict had been "predetermined", that "you felt the pressure going in, and that if you didn't come up with a guilty verdict, that things were going to go badly".

But Mr Mitchell said that was "just so dismissive of the entire process".

He added: "We're everyday civilians that put our families, our jobs, and our days aside to serve justice.

"I mean, we all walked in with an open mind, and we left with a guilty verdict. We just felt the evidence was overwhelming for our verdict. It had nothing to do with pressure from anywhere."

https://news.sky.com/story/finding-derek-chauvin-guilty-of-murdering-george-floyd-was-a-no-brainer-juror-says-12289578

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
#BREAKING: The defense attorney for Derek Chauvin has filed a motion asking for a new trial for the former police officer who was found guilty in the murder of George Floyd, citing juror misconduct and denying a change of venue.  https://8.wfla.com/33m50WF