Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 843793 times)

Offline carlymichelle

Lets see what happens.

and if he is successful, this will go on for years to come.

there was such excitment about  GA  losing everything too wasnt there??  they should be careful what they wish for...

stephen25000

there was such excitment about  GA  losing everything too wasnt there??  they should be careful what they wish for...

As we have seen, the Portuguese system is very slow, and nothing should be taken for granted.

Offline Mr Gray

I'm still delighted with the outcome...we all knew it could drag on with appeals...it's great that amaral has been humiliated by his own countries court

Offline Lace

Is he going to appeal against the fact that he was still a Police Officer when he wrote his book?

Good luck with that one.

The money should go where it rightly should in the fund for Madeleine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:25:15 AM by Angelo222 »

stephen25000

Is he going to appeal against the fact that he was still a Police Officer when he wrote his book?

Good luck with that one.

The money should go where it rightly should in the fund for Madeleine.

Let's see what happens, shall we.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:46:48 AM by Eleanor »

Alfred R Jones

Good to see that the McCanns will be able to counter-appeal (in the unlikely event that Amaral's appeal is successful).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:18:00 PM by Alfred R Jones »

Offline Jean-Pierre

Jumping the gun a bit, perhaps.

Amaral has the right to appeal. 

Whether he has the ability to appeal remains to be seen.

He will need to establish grounds for appeal.  And find a lawyer willing and able to take the case.

Time will tell. 

Offline Montclair

Jumping the gun a bit, perhaps.

Amaral has the right to appeal. 

Whether he has the ability to appeal remains to be seen.

He will need to establish grounds for appeal.  And find a lawyer willing and able to take the case.

Time will tell.

Gonçalo Amaral already has a lawyer.

Offline Brietta

Gonçalo Amaral already has a lawyer.

Mr Amaral's lawyers tend to come and go quite a bit ... he has parted company with a few. It remains to be seen how far the appeal process will progress, but it cannot be denied he is starting off on the back foot as it seems he is yesterday's man in the court of public opinion which most sceptics back hands down.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

Mr Amaral's lawyers tend to come and go quite a bit ... he has parted company with a few. It remains to be seen how far the appeal process will progress, but it cannot be denied he is starting off on the back foot as it seems he is yesterday's man in the court of public opinion which most sceptics back hands down.

What you or I or the public at large think of Dr Amaral is irrelevant. It will be a matter of law.
Unless of course in Portugal there is a requirement to grab a gash hand off the street and say "ere mate give us a verdict on this will ya?". Even the most biased supporter cannot believe that will be the case.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

What you or I or the public at large think of Dr Amaral is irrelevant. It will be a matter of law.
Unless of course in Portugal there is a requirement to grab a gash hand off the street and say "ere mate give us a verdict on this will ya?". Even the most biased supporter cannot believe that will be the case.

We have seen an example of Portuguese Law in operation with Judge Maria Emilia de Melo e Castro presiding. 

I doubt she has left many opportunities to appeal her decision so I rather suspect the auspices are less than favourable for such.
However it will be of interest to see what unfolds.

What has become very clear from her ruling is the rather tawdry circumstance in which the accusatory book was written; the author discarding integrity to make a quick buck while denigrating the presumption of innocence which as a law officer he was obliged to uphold.
To me that reads like a law enforcement officer with a contempt for the law, you put whatever interpretation on it you wish.

If you are happy to support such an individual that is fine by me ... but do try to keep your personal little digs out of your posts to me ... utterly tiresome and sooooo playgroundy.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

I think Goncalo Amaral may very well be on a hiding to nothing if he is allowed to appeal the decision made against him for the simple reason that he used privileged information and ignored the presumption of innocence.

The McCanns have clearly proved their point in a Portuguese Court.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:56:19 AM by Eleanor »

Offline Mr Gray

Amaral is basically bankrupt...both financially and morally. He has been humiliated totally by the court in his own country. He has a choice of handing all his money to the McCanns or appealing. The appeal won't cost him apenny because he has nothing. He can count on the financial support of a handful of misguided supporters and who knows...if an appeal is allowed he just may get a better result next time...and if he doesn't...he has lost nothing

stephen25000

Amaral is basically bankrupt...both financially and morally. He has been humiliated totally by the court in his own country. He has a choice of handing all his money to the McCanns or appealing. The appeal won't cost him apenny because he has nothing. He can count on the financial support of a handful of misguided supporters and who knows...if an appeal is allowed he just may get a better result next time...and if he doesn't...he has lost nothing

His assets seized for now. Clearly yes.

The mccanns going to get money from him , doesn't look like it.

Mind you,increasing legal bills for sure, which will mount , year after year, with appeal after appeal, all the way to the European Court of Human Rights.

and that going by the backlog of nearly 70,000 cases, is a fiar way in the future.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:23:37 AM by Eleanor »

Offline Mr Gray

His assets seized for now. Clearly yes.

The mccanns going to get money from him , doesn't look like it.

Mind you,increasing legal bills for sure, which will mount , year after year, with appeal after appeal, all the way to the European Court of Human Rights.

and that going by the backlog of nearly 70,000 cases, is a fiar way in the future.

and all this time amaral lives in penury...for the rest of his miserable life is a phrase that I have heard brfore
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:24:04 AM by Eleanor »