News and current affairs > A look at the news stories currently making the headlines.

Trial of Curtis Reeves, Florida Cinema Popcorn Shooting.

(1/4) > >>

Wonderfulspam:

Curtis Reeves Murder Trial

On January 13, 2014, a retired police officer, Curtis Reeves (71), and his wife Vivian were preparing to watch an afternoon screening of “Lone Survivor” in a cinema in Tampa Bay, Florida.

Seated directly in front of the retired officer and his wife were another couple, Chad Oulson, a U.S Navy veteran, (43) & Nicole Oulson.

Curtis Reeves and Chad Oulson got into a dispute after Reeves told Oulson to stop texting on his phone during the movie opening previews.

Reeves left his seat & went to a reception area to complain to management about Oulson's phone use.
He then returned to his seat & according to Oulson's wife, Reeves continued to argue with Oulson.

At some point Chad Oulson took Reeves box of popcorn from him & threw it back in his face.

Curtis Reeves immediately pulled a pistol & fired one shot into Chad Oulson's chest, Oulson's wife was also hit in a finger by the same bullet, as she had her hand on Chad's chest attempting to calm him at the time.
Chad later died from the bullet injury.

Mr Reeves claims he was acting in self defence, not having known what had hit him & what might be coming next, that being 71 he was vulnerable to attack from the younger, stronger Oulson, & that being sat in his chair he had no opportunity to retreat.

A Stand Your Ground Trial was held in 2017, where a judge found Mr Reeves did not have automatic immunity.

After 8 years, due to various motions & delays, a jury trial of Mr Reeves, now 79, began this week. Currently still in jury selection, opening statements are expected to begin on Monday.

There is one low resolution black & white video of the shooting, which only shows Mr Reeves but captures the popcorn being thrown & Reeves leaning & reaching forward when shooting.

The video evidence & brief synopsis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbstx5CQng

Members of Justice Forum Jury, from the video evidence, I ask your preliminary verdict.

Did the elderly Mr Reeves genuinely believe there was an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm?

Or, did the cantankerous ex policeman simply lose his temper when Mr Oulson argued back & threw some popcorn at him?

Wonderfulspam:

Audio statements made immediately after the shooting.

Curtis Reeves:  http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1993.mp3

Nicole Oulson: http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1991.mp3

Vivian Reeves: http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1992.mp3

State of Florida vs Curtis Reeves Court Records

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/other.asp

John:
I have every sympathy with Mr Reeves, that other ignoramus got his just desserts albeit with fatal consequences. I fear Mr Reeves will be found guilty of something given recent American cases but it is impossible to say what of or what the consequences will be.

Wonderfulspam:

--- Quote from: John on February 10, 2022, 03:01:34 PM ---I have every sympathy with Mr Reeves, that other ignoramus got his just desserts.

--- End quote ---

It's a difficult one John.

Reeves was provocative & also in his statement he claims he was right back in his seat with Oulson positioning to come over the seat towards him, but the video shows Mr Reeves had to lean & reach forward to shoot Oulson.

Reeves wife immediately thought it was unjustified.

I'll be interested to see if Reeves can convince the jury.

One mildly amusing thing I find in this terrible case is that there were signs indicating firearms & phones were prohibited in the building.

Mr Reeves was breaking a firearms rule whilst berating a guy for just using his phone, he wanted to watch the movie in peace, so he shot a guy. Maximum disturbance.

All them empty seats they could have got up & sat in instead.

What a senseless killing.

(This trial is televised by the way, I will post links to the live trial daily around 2:30 gmt.)

John:

--- Quote from: Wonderfulspam on February 10, 2022, 03:09:43 PM ---It's a difficult one John.

Reeves was provocative & also in his statement he claims he was right back in his seat with Oulson positioning to come over the seat towards him, but the video shows Mr Reeves had to lean & reach forward to shoot Oulson.

Reeves wife immediately thought it was unjustified.

I'll be interested to see if Reeves can convince the jury.

One mildly amusing thing I find in this terrible case is that there were signs indicating firearms & phones were prohibited in the building.

Mr Reeves was breaking a firearms rule whilst berating a guy for just using his phone, he wanted to watch the movie in peace, so he shot a guy. Maximum disturbance.

All them empty seats they could have got up & sat in instead.

What a senseless killing.

(This trial is televised by the way, I will post links to the live trial daily around 2:30 gmt.)

--- End quote ---

Cheers Spammy. Might fit it in with the million other things requiring attention  8(8-))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version