Author Topic: Madeleine McCann - The request for satellite imagery  (Read 23933 times)

Redblossom

Re: Madeleine McCann - The request for satellite imagery
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
Sorry, the article doesn't even make sense to me.

And the article doesn't answer my question as to why Portugal didn't use its diplomatic contacts with the US (if the PJ seriously thought that military satellites could have identified whoever was carrying Madeleine that night in a sleepy village).
The reason the article does not make sense is because it is a load of rubbish

Offline Carana

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »

And the article doesn't answer my question as to why Portugal didn't use its diplomatic contacts with the US (if the PJ seriously thought that military satellites could have identified whoever was carrying Madeleine that night in a sleepy village).

Well, I agree with you on that.

Offline gilet

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
Yes a great shame the British government didn't ask the yanks for help as thry intimated they could or would do.

I wonder would that have been because the UK government understood that it was a pipedream with no substance to it? Unlike Amaral there are people in the British Government who actually understand the nature of satellite imagery and knew full well that the idea that there were images of PDL at the ridiculous resolution that C.Edwards has claimed was simply not true. Why waste time persuading the US government to hand over something they understood did not exist. No problem for Amaral, by then he was an unemployed man with plenty of time to dream his dreams.

It is pointless continually trying to goad me. You are quite simply wrong.  Resolutions of less than 15cm have been available to the military for more than 10 years. They now have resolutions an awful lot less than that.  Even commercial resolutions are now 50cm.  I only respond now in order to stop your propaganda going unchallenged. Good evening to you <raises top hat> .

Absolutely nobody is challenging the resolutions you claim. It takes about 20 seconds to google that information. 

The question is not about the current situation, nor about the basic technical abilities of the satellites.  The question relates to the situation six years ago in what is effectively an area of absolutely no strategic significance in terms of satellite imagery.

There is nothing anywhere which even suggests that there was any such high resolution imagery of the PDL area. Even the article which has been posted refers only to sweeps of the country related to military and government facilities. As there are none in that village (unless you can suggest otherwise) then it rather answers that point. 

Are you genuinely suggesting that the US had, in 2007, (or even has now) satellites trained on every single point of the globe (or even, lets just say, every populated point on the globe) which are continuously focusing on at resolutions of .50 metres or less? If so then I am afraid you are away with the fairies in the realms of crazy conspiracy nonsense. The expense and the date storage required would be huge.

As I pointed out earlier, if that was the case why has not one single case ever (to the best of my knowledge and clearly yours) been solved by police requesting either military or commercial satellite imagery? If you could answer real questions such as that instead of just giving generalities which bear no relation to the real situation then perhaps your rather condescending approach to posting might be more effective. Till then, I suggest you doff your ridiculous top hat once again and knuckle down to some real research into the matter.

The article posted refers only to "formal request". In a matter of this nature the formal approach is (as you may or may not be aware) only one method of inquiry. When it is specifically referred to in this way it is highly suggestive that other routes of inquiry were in fact used.

It is pie in the sky (see what I did there?) for Amaral to be placing reliance of this approach. It shows sheer desperation that his hopes rest on Julian Assange and a chance that a few images might be forthcoming by some illegal means from extreme high-resolution satellites which almost certainly were never trained on a place as lacking in strategic importance as PDL. That is not expert policing, it is bordering on insanity.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:24:15 AM by gilet »

Redblossom

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »

Which begs the question why a so called home office minister would talk shyte..that is a certain ALAN MILBURN, as well as  jacqui smith, home office minister who DELAYED the rogatory interviews, what a cow..
 8((()*/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:50:47 PM by Redblossom »

registrar

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
there is a lot of pain and anguish to be avoided

by realising that Amaral - is a clown

who does not know his a.se from a hole in the ground

debunker

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50:20 AM »

Which begs the question why a so called home office minister would talk shyte..that is a certain ALAN MILBURN, as well as  jacqui smith, home office minister who DELAYED the rogatory interviews, what a cow..
 8((()*/

The Portuguese were unable to comply with the agreed stipulations for rogatory interviews. When eventually the got the paperwork filed correctly, the rogatories went ahead legally. It is the role of the government to protect citizens from ill conceived attempts by foreign justice systems to interrogate British citizens.

stephen25000

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

I recommend that you look in a mirror first before you criticize others.  8(0(*

debunker

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »

I recommend that you look in a mirror first before you criticize others.  8(0(*

Hypocrite hoist by your own petard.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »

8((()*/

The Portuguese were unable to comply with the agreed stipulations for rogatory interviews. When eventually the got the paperwork filed correctly, the rogatories went ahead legally. It is the role of the government to protect citizens from ill conceived attempts by foreign justice systems to interrogate British citizens.

It is also important for the country making these application, to file these things correctly, as any case made from incorrect filing will be null and void in a Court of Law later.  Thereby allowing a possible criminal to go free.

Mr. Smith was not subjected to a Rogatory Interview because he was listed by Portugal as a British Citizen, which he is not.

Offline gilet

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

8((()*/

It is also important for the country making these application, to file these things correctly, as any case made from incorrect filing will be null and void in a Court of Law later.  Thereby allowing a possible criminal to go free.

Mr. Smith was not subjected to a Rogatory Interview because he was listed by Portugal as a British Citizen, which he is not.'

So it wasn't just Amaral's team that was incompetent (his own statement about the photographers and fingerprint bods being evidence for that among other things) but other Portuguese were also incompetent, filing the rogatory request incorrectly and even failing to realise that Irish Citizens are not from the UK. Truly lamentable policing and diplomacy. 

It begs the question, had the PJ and other authorities been on the ball could more have been done to discover what happened to Madeleine McCann? I know what my response to that question is.

ferryman

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »

8((()*/

Mr. Smith was not subjected to a Rogatory Interview because he was listed by Portugal as a British Citizen, which he is not.

True, but I've never particularly seen that as a big deal.  It was a straightforward administrative error which could, easily, have been rectified simply by sending a second rogatory letter to the Irish Republic rather than Westminster.

What is of more interest to me is why the error wasn't rectified.

I suspect that's probably because Mr Smith was not, after all, deemed to be such a crucial witness.

Offline gilet

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

8((()*/

True, but I've never particularly seen that as a big deal.  It was a straightforward administrative error which could, easily, have been rectified simply by sending a second rogatory letter to the Irish Republic rather than Westminster.

I suspect that's probably because Mr Smith was not, after all, deemed to be such a crucial witness.

Yes, if he had been so crucial, then I am sure it would have been followed up. 

Offline Carana

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Martin Smith seems to have been a clincher according to GA... But then GA does seem to have been a bit confused about the 60-80% issue and as to who - in that family - actually shared his doubt.

GA also seems to have been a bit confused over several issues, including DNA. He, along with others in his team, had a professional and emotional stake in trying to resolve the case and were no doubt exhausted.

Redblossom

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »

Martin Smith seems to have been a clincher according to GA... But then GA does seem to have been a bit confused about the 60-80% issue and as to who - in that family - actually shared his doubt.

GA also seems to have been a bit confused over several issues, including DNA. He, along with others in his team, had a professional and emotional stake in trying to resolve the case and were no doubt exhausted.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm

His wife agreed with him

After seeing the BBC news at 10 PM, footage on the 9th September 2007 I contacted Leicestershire police with this information. During that time I spoke to all my family members who were with me on the night of 3rd May 2007 about this and the only one who felt the same way as me was my wife. She had seen the video clip of Gerard McCann walking down the stairs of the plane earlier that day. We did not discuss this until some days later.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:13:00 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Carana

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm

His wife agreed with him

After seeing the BBC news at 10 PM, footage on the 9th September 2007 I contacted Leicestershire police with this information. During that time I spoke to all my family members who were with me on the night of 3rd May 2007 about this and the only one who felt the same way as me was my wife. She had seen the video clip of Gerard McCann walking down the stairs of the plane earlier that day. We did not discuss this until some days later.

During that time I spoke to all my family members who were with me on the night of 3rd May 2007 about this and the only one who felt the same way as me was my wife. She had seen the video clip of Gerard McCann walking down the stairs of the plane earlier that day. We did not discuss this until some days later. This statement has been read over to me and is correct.

His wife may well have shared his doubt - they presumably live in the same household. The rest of the family apparently did not.

ETA: Or may have simply agreed that it was a possibility and to share the doubt with the police.

I see nothing wrong with that - it's trying to be helpful to the police. But any experienced police force would be able to sort the well-meaning, but potentially irrelevant, chaff from the wheat.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:35:16 PM by Carana »