Author Topic: For How Long Should the Review Be Funded ?  (Read 11233 times)

Offline gilet

Re: For How Long Should the Review Be Funded ?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
It should be funded till the police (the experts) determine there is nothing more they can practically do. Then it should be re-funded/opened as soon as either new evidence is available or new techniques are considered as possible sources of such evidence. It should not be a financial decision and it would be obscene if politics became involved in such a decision.

However, I do believe that some indication should be available to the public as to what is being done which costs such large sums. Is it manpower? Is it complex computer work? Is it large amounts of travel? 

The reality I suppose, is that if there are thirty detectives involved for about two years or more then costs will mount rapidly. Conservatively each will cost about £50,000 a year with salary, insurance, office base, expenses etc. So £3,000,000 would be eaten up very quickly in two years with 30 people involved.

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
As a UK taxpayer I have no problem with the review going on for as long as the Police think it is worthwhile.

I don't expect to be updated during the process and am happy to wait for the outcome.

(will it have been a waste of time and money faithlilly if the end result is that the Mccanns are charged with something? - after all that is what people were shouting out for and in fact were submitting dossiers and videos to assist the Police in reaching that conclusion)

AnneGuedes

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
If Scotland yard, having reviewed all existing evidence, come to the conclusion that Madeleine was abducted,  then the  'investigative'  element of their remit should continue  (  and be funded )  until  they find the child, or definitive evidence of what happened to her

I really don't see how anyone  ( particularly the McCanns )  would be prepared to accept anything less

...  it would be akin to British police saying,  "yeah, we think someone snatched this British child from her bed,  and may still be holding  her captive somewhere  ...  but  *shoulder shrug*  it ain't our problem"

Agreed.

What we don't know, but which I hope is also happening, is that the process of collating all the information from various police forces onto a database will serve as a template for other such situations. And, perhaps, restore mutual confidence as regards cooperation.
Agreed too.
May be the mutual confidence isn't, deeply, as bad as that.

ferryman

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Agreed.

What we don't know, but which I hope is also happening, is that the process of collating all the information from various police forces onto a database will serve as a template for other such situations. And, perhaps, restore mutual confidence as regards cooperation.

That's certainly a crucial point ...

registrar

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
I don't give a toss about how much money is spent on the review

Prince Harry flies multi million aircraft in wars no sensible person wants or needs

Just so he can be photographed in his Ray-Bans

An English child goes missing in the Algarve

yes, I'm happy for my tax money to be spent on that

Offline Luz

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
With a reported 4.5 million pounds having already been spent on the Scotland Yard review and with no visible signs that they are any nearer to establishing what happened to Madeleine how long should taxpayers money be spent on this ?

With only £600,000 having been spent on the Jill Dando case review is a disproptionately large amount of money being spent on this case considering the crime happened on foreign soil ?

It should never had started. It's a ridiculous waste of money and manpower just to review papers. Considering that the portuguese investigation was accompanied by UK police, and that all the PIs work was just to throw sand into people's eyes, what does Grange expect to accomplish?!

So far they reached the brilliant conclusion that Madeleine could  be either alive or dead. That I could do without spending a pence.

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
With a reported 4.5 million pounds having already been spent on the Scotland Yard review and with no visible signs that they are any nearer to establishing what happened to Madeleine how long should taxpayers money be spent on this ?

With only £600,000 having been spent on the Jill Dando case review is a disproptionately large amount of money being spent on this case considering the crime happened on foreign soil ?

It should never had started. It's a ridiculous waste of money and manpower just to review papers. Considering that the portuguese investigation was accompanied by UK police, and that all the PIs work was just to throw sand into people's eyes, what does Grange expect to accomplish?!

So far they reached the brilliant conclusion that Madeleine could  be either alive or dead. That I could do without spending a pence.

amaral couldn't

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »
Luckily luz it is not your money that is being spent is it.

Offline Admin

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

You certainly have a point to some extent Luz.

Reviewing the evidence won't necessarily get Madeleine back but may apportion blame and lead to a prosecution. 

We thought the whole idea was to get her back though?   8-)(--)  Maybe we are wrong??

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »

bump because luz is denying she said this (on another thread)

Offline Luz

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »

You DEFINITELY HAVE A READING PROBLEM. I said «So far they reached the brilliant conclusion that Madeleine could  be either alive or dead. That I could do without spending a pence.» (check above), not that I could do the review without spending a pence, as you affirmed on the other thread.

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »
why did you miss this bit out of your reply:

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

using the first part of what you originally said - you don't agree with it do you?

it's not your pence they are using you know - they are MINE.

registrar

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »

You DEFINITELY HAVE A READING PROBLEM. I said «So far they reached the brilliant conclusion that Madeleine could  be either alive or dead. That I could do without spending a pence.» (check above), not that I could do the review without spending a pence, as you affirmed on the other thread.

In English please

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 10:58:52 PM »
it's simple - she is saying she could have said that Madeleine is either dead or alive, that the review is a waste of time and that she could have said that for free.