Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 218585 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
Portugal: Two toddlers drown in pools

in News · 01-06-2015

Two young children have drowned in swimming pools over the weekend in unrelated incidents.

A three-year-old Portuguese boy drowned on Saturday evening in a pool at a private property in Albardeira, Lagos, in the Algarve.

According to newspaper Correio da Manhã emergency medics were called out at around 5.30pm.

Also that same evening a British toddler of the same age also drowned in a pool in a villa in Praia d’El Rei, in Óbidos, where he had been staying with his parents.

www.theportugalnews.com/news/two-toddlers-drown-in-pools/34925#comments
Merde.
What's up, old man?

Offline Admin

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:27:23 AM »
Court fails to notify murderer

Correio da Manha

By Ana Palma
28 May 2015

Barrocas Helena, mother of Ricardo Teixeira, waiting for justice for the death of son.

Ricardo Teixeira was aggressive target for four years and eventually died at the Hospital of Faro.

For the fifth time, it was yesterday postponed the Court of Portimão, the trial of a British security responsibility for the attack that caused the death of a 23 years in Oura, Albufeira, four years ago. The difficulty in notifying the defendant, 25, who went to England after the crime, is at the origin of the successive postponements. "I was afraid that this could happen, it's a shame. I suffer a lot and just wish this was over and do justice," he declared to the CM Barrocas Helena, mother of the victim, who appeared in court with placards to protest the situation. Fernando Cabrita, young family lawyer Ricardo Teixeira, confirmed the difficulty in notifying John Hodgson, which is in Kent, in the UK, the session start date led to further postponement. "Sometimes collaboration with the British authorities seems to work only to one side. I remember one case, very mediatic [the disappearance of Maddie McCann], in which the Portuguese authorities have done everything to help. Conversely, this collaboration has not gone very well, "he noted. At dawn on July 7, 2011, Ricardo was beaten on the head, in front of Matt's Bar in Oura. With the blow, the young man rolled down the stairs and suffered a head injury. He never recovered. He came into brain death and the death was declared a week later at the Hospital of Faro. John Hodgson meanwhile, traveled to England. The July 7, when complete four years of aggression, family and friends will gather on the avenue Sá Carneiro (street of Oura bars) to deposit candles and a wreath near the site of the tragedy.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=pt-BR&u=http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/eu_sofro_muito_e_so_queria_que_acabasse.html&usg=ALkJrhj4dGU3tynyjXLycg_KFOA-IYukgg

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 01:23:15 AM »
Anyone who reads my blog at ShiningInLuz will be aware that I have treated gossip of a death of a competitor at the second annual Luz triathlon on 25 Apr 2015 as being incorrect.

I managed to find on-line that Felicity Williams, 44, from Tampa Florida, died while taking part in the swimming event of the Meek and Mighty triathlon on the 25 April 2015.  It all fitted.  Female, right age, triathlon, swimming, same day.  How easy does it get?

Felicity Williams died whilst swimming in the Meek and Mighty 21st triathlon on 25 April 2015.

Diane Thomas died whilst swimming in the second annual triathlon in Luz, on 25 April 2015.

The story is on ShinigInLuz in full, but if you prefer an independent source, just Google "Diane Thomas" and triathlon.  That's all it takes.
What's up, old man?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
@ShiningInLuz do you know what stage is construction at on the plot between R. 1 Maio and R. Escola Primeira?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »
@ShiningInLuz do you know what stage is construction at on the plot between R. 1 Maio and R. Escola Primeira?
Yes.

Zero.

AFAIK, the plot is owned by the owner or owners of Estrela da Luz.  It was meant to be another venture, but the property market took a steep nose dive (nothing to do with Madeleine).

The south end of the plot was used for a short while as a car park for Spar supermarket, post-Madeleine.  That is what you see on Google streetview in Aug 2009.

If only I could get my hands on that plot then I would be a millionaire overnight.
What's up, old man?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »
@Shining Thanks for your information. What sort of fence is around the north end of the plot now? 

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
At the time of the Madeleine incident there was a sheet metal fence about 1.8m high and painted in .... sorry can't remember.  I it is on the videos of the time  It shows up I believe on the video on Youtube of 4 May 2007 when the first batch of the Tapas 9 were taken to Portimão for their initial interviews.  The site had a large sign on its corner emblazoned "Flor do Mar".  Flower Of The Sea.

I think it also turns up on a video of the first Sunday when the McCanns went to mass at Nossa Senhora da Luz.

That fence is essentially the same fence that turns in in Google streetview of Aug 2009, except by that time the fence had become a bit decrepit.  The building project had stopped.  People had clonked down one side on the west to dump rubbish.

Google Earth traces what the fence went through.

What does the fence look like now (and for around the 3 years I have been here)?  The metal panel fence was valuable.  It is probably protecting another building site.

The current fence is also around 1.8m high.  It consists of wooden posts with a green, plastic, wire mesh fence.

I doubt the current fence really tickles your interest.

Back in 2007, there were at least 2 ways to get over the fence.  At the NW end and at the S end electricity cabinets made it easy to go over the top.

I'm fairly sure the 3rd obvious way, NW side under a gap between fence and ground , is on the forum from way back.

Fences'R'Us  8((()*/
What's up, old man?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 12:21:56 AM »
Thanks Shining. This was the closest unused land to the scene, and the most invisible.

Offline John

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »

Sued for insulting GNR on Facebook

Susana Soares will be the subject of a criminal complaint.

By JFS
23 June 2015

The National Republican Guard (GNR) will for the first time, prosecute a woman for offences written on the Facebook social network.  Algarve resident Susana Soares, Fuseta, did not like to see the security force car parked in an area reserved for loading and unloading, just after she was fined 30 euros for the same reason. Outraged, the woman took photographs of the site depicting the vehicle of the GNR and used her personal Facebook account to show her discontent.

Susana Soares drew attention to the fact that none of the military were inside the car, but "inside the pastry shop having breakfast."  The author of the publication explains that she took the pictures to, "show power and corruption in this country." 

GNR refutes allegation

The GNR also used the same social network on the Internet to defend and refute the charges placed upon it by Susana Soares. The GNR admitted that the military "were in fact inside the pastry shop", but reiterates that the same were "trying to identify the driver of a heavy vehicle that parked in a place reserved for the disabled." "Having identified the situation the military GNR had no other suitable location to park to investigate the service vehicle in the area that is identified in the photograph," the spokesman added.

www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/processada_por_insultar_gnr_no_facebook.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:08:55 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »
Is that any so different from Kate McCann insulting the two GNR officers who first attended their apartment on the night her daughter mysteriously disappeared?

Tweedledum and Tweedledee I believe were the derogatory terms she used in her Madeleine book.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline misty

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:29 AM »
I do hope Soares also took a picture of the GNR officers stuffing their faces. That would take some explaining.

Offline mercury

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
I do hope Soares also took a picture of the GNR officers stuffing their faces. That would take some explaining.

is eating illegal?

Offline John

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
From Facebook

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
UK police park illegally all the time when buying breakfast, even though they really shouldn't. What a storm in a teacup. (a breakfast cup, naturally)
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
I believe the lady was upset because the guards were parked illegally in a spot which had just cost her 30 euros a few minutes earlier.  At the very least they could have rescinded her penalty but that would have involved an admission of guilt on behalf of the guards.  And as we all know, the Portuguese police do no wrong.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:41:45 AM by Mr Moderator »