Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530803 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #1515 on: June 20, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »
20 years in the case of "The McLibel Trial".

yes its a disgrace isnt it

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1516 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

All in the above.
So Murat hasn’t been cleared then?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1517 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:31 PM »
yes its a disgrace isnt it
Ten years of the ECtHR faffing about didn't help.
It could have been worse. A fraud case in India went on for ca 40 years, IIRC, only to be tossed out when the last living witness turned his toes up.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1518 on: June 20, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
its a pity the appeal to the ECHR takes so long...its a pity justice takes so long

I'd be careful what you wish for if I were you. Litigation is always risky and the outcome can be disappointing.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1519 on: June 20, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
I'd be careful what you wish for if I were you. Litigation is always risky and the outcome can be disappointing.

are you under the impresion im considering litigation,,,,what gives you that idea

Offline Carana

« Reply #1520 on: June 20, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
What they printed were personal attacks on his character;

“Robert Murat is a predator who visits sites containing sexual violence”
http://theportugalnews.com/news/robert-murat-wins-slander-case-as-kate-mccann-visits-luz/28371

Yes, I know. After a year of merciless attack, he was only awarded €10k - and that only on appeal. I'm not sure who leaked in that instance, the "witness" in question (whom Murat successfully sued) or whether it was that naughty fan again.

His family was also hounded in the UK.

He did get a substantially bigger award from the UK media.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1521 on: June 20, 2018, 10:17:05 PM »
Ten years of the ECtHR faffing about didn't help.
It could have been worse. A fraud case in India went on for ca 40 years, IIRC, only to be tossed out when the last living witness turned his toes up.

Yeah, not sure how many of us will be around in 2118...

Offline Carana

« Reply #1522 on: June 20, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »
What they printed were personal attacks on his character;

“Robert Murat is a predator who visits sites containing sexual violence”
http://theportugalnews.com/news/robert-murat-wins-slander-case-as-kate-mccann-visits-luz/28371

The nature of the attacks were different, but some of the allegations against him were also of a criminal nature.as well.

What's the difference?

Does it all really hinge on that reconstruction?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1523 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
The nature of the attacks were different, but some of the allegations against him were also of a criminal nature.as well.

What's the difference?

Does it all really hinge on that reconstruction?
Could they all agree to do a reconstruction now and put it behind them?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline misty

« Reply #1524 on: June 20, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
Yes, I know. After a year of merciless attack, he was only awarded €10k - and that only on appeal. I'm not sure who leaked in that instance, the "witness" in question (whom Murat successfully sued) or whether it was that naughty fan again.

His family was also hounded in the UK.

He did get a substantially bigger award from the UK media.

I note that the court did not apparently say the published allegations against RM were untrue, merely that they were not in the public interest & an infringement of his rights.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1525 on: June 21, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »
I note that the court did not apparently say the published allegations against RM were untrue, merely that they were not in the public interest & an infringement of his rights.

That seems to be a difference in that system - whether what is said is true or not doesn't appear to matter; what does is the damange caused by what is said.

I was going to post an extract from something to that effect the other day and promptly lost it.

IIRC, he also sued the so-called witness and won. At least one of those allegations defies the imagination. Well mine, anyway. lol

Offline misty

« Reply #1526 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »
That seems to be a difference in that system - whether what is said is true or not doesn't appear to matter; what does is the damange caused by what is said.

I was going to post an extract from something to that effect the other day and promptly lost it.

IIRC, he also sued the so-called witness and won. At least one of those allegations defies the imagination. Well mine, anyway. lol

I wonder what happened in the cases he brought against other Portuguese media outlets?

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Nigel/id218.htm

The lawyer tells how the PJ's attitude changed Publico

by Idalio Revez
05 March 2010
snipped
Concerning the British media, his position is very critical: "The press was biased. The news was broken in the following way: "This man is guilty, we have already caught him and it was even us who turned him over to the police"," he says, alluding to the journalist who said she had noted "strange" signs in Murat during his contact with the media. But there is a difference in the way that these cases are handled in Portugal and in England. The lawsuits that were filed against the British press were swiftly settled with a "deal" concerning the amount of the compensation. In our country, "there is no evolution" concerning the five lawsuits that have been filed almost one year ago.

"The sensationalist newspapers are sensationalist by nature. The others just did their job," he says.

and https://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2009/05/robert-murat-sues-jornal-do-barlavento.html

Robert Murat, an arguido that was cleared in the Maddie case stated that he is to start judicial proceedings over defamation against Portuguese media. He claims compensation amounting 140 thousand euros.

Articles and contents that were allegedly published and broadcast by Jornal do Barlavento, Jornal de Notícias and TVI are at stake.

source: Diário de Notícias, 22.05.2009

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1527 on: June 21, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
dog days are here!
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1528 on: June 21, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »
Could they all agree to do a reconstruction now and put it behind them?

Bit late in the day I'd have thought. There was enough difficulty in remembering things clearly just a year later
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:01:40 AM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1529 on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
Bit late in the day I'd have thought. There was enough difficulty in remembering things clearly just a year later
Allow a week to sort things out.  I can't see how a full reconstruction of the events could be re-enacted in just one night.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:20:01 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation