Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530819 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #1830 on: June 24, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
Never tust the press.
One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive.

i dont trust the press..Ive actually been featured by name in the sun..re a professional matter.... but my very well reasoned opinions are based on the statements of harrison and grime
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:39:29 PM by Davel »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1831 on: June 24, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »
Never tust the press.
One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive.

... and it may not have been a bad idea to do just that to afford them the protection provided by arguido status under Portuguese law and not done in desperation to apparently extract a confession all else having failed. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1832 on: June 24, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
  ... and it may not have been a bad idea to do just that to afford them the protection provided by arguido status under Portuguese law and not done in desperation to apparently extract a confession all else having failed.

IYO
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1833 on: June 24, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »

There should be an IMO in there somewhere unless you have incontrovertble evidence your assertion is true.
You being a Mod and all...tsk tsk
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1834 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »

There was nothing wrong in trying to elicit a confession imo, it is after all a tried and tested police procedure in every jurisdiction in the world.  Why do you condemn the Portuguese police for doing something which was their right as investigators ie to get to the truth by every legal avenue possible?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1835 on: June 24, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
there was a possibility of a cadaver being there ...without the dogs...Im quoting Harrison..

Im happy to accept that there was a cadaver in  5a...I dont need the dogs to tell me that
Could you give me the actual quote from Harrison you are referring to please?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1836 on: June 24, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
There should be an IMO in there somewhere unless you have incontrovertible evidence your assertion is true.
How can you ever find "incontrovertible evidence" of an assertion prefixed by "and it may not have been a bad idea".

Saying "And it may not have been a bad idea" clearly shows the concept is based on opinion.  We could write IMO after it just to be pedantic.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1837 on: June 24, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »
How can you ever find "incontrovertible evidence" of an assertion prefixed by "and it may not have been a bad idea".

Saying "And it may not have been a bad idea" clearly shows the concept is based on opinion.  We could write IMO after it just to be pedantic.

True, however to be grammatically correct no such caveat attaches to the latter part of the sentence.
"and not done in desperation to apparently extract a confession all else having failed".
In that case opinion is being passed off as fact and you as another Mod are excusing it.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1838 on: June 24, 2018, 10:05:09 PM »
True, however to be grammatically correct no such caveat attaches to the latter part of the sentence.
"and not done in desperation to apparently extract a confession all else having failed".
In that case opinion is being passed off as fact and you as another Mod are excusing it.
All that last bit hinges on the word "apparently", so that too is a way of seeing things, an opinion in other words.
It is an opinion expressed in terms of opinion.
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1839 on: June 24, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
For anyone who wishes to understand why the SC judges said the archived case couldn't be reopened if it was archived using 277/1, Euros 89 will buy the book they quoted from;

http://www.almedina.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=23805
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1840 on: June 24, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »
For anyone who wishes to understand why the SC judges said the archived case couldn't be reopened if it was archived using 277/1, Euros 89 will buy the book they quoted from;

http://www.almedina.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=23805
Would that be in Portuguese?
Moderation

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1841 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »
There should be an IMO in there somewhere unless you have incontrovertble evidence your assertion is true.
Did you miss John's post where he pointed out that there is more than one way of expressing opinion?

NB
apparently - adverb  ~ so the story goes - so I'm told - allegedly - as far as one knows - by all accounts - so it seems
That is only Google.  I recommend you check others.

Perhaps you are unaware that criticism of a moderator more often than not leads to the award of points.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1842 on: June 24, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
IYO

You are mistaken.

Please allow me to direct you to an example of a post which actually does not have a caveat ...
"One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive."  http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg470596#msg470596

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1843 on: June 25, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »
There was nothing wrong in trying to elicit a confession imo, it is after all a tried and tested police procedure in every jurisdiction in the world.  Why do you condemn the Portuguese police for doing something which was their right as investigators ie to get to the truth by every legal avenue possible?
The role of the police is to investigate.  Not to decide who is guilty without benefit of due process and to be pressurised into 'confessing'.
In my opinion that is not law enforcement and one wonders how many criminals have been let off the hook as a result and free to commit further crimes.
Every jurisdiction in the world suffers from miscarriages of justice some of which may very well be as a direct result of overzealous police tactics such as you describe.

Moita Flores:
Things were different in my time. She would have been under such an attack that before she realised anything, she'd be in jail.
Goncalo Amaral:
Right, but in your time, in our old times, investigation was made with fuel. Now we all move on honey.
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Nigel/id173.htm

Offline misty

« Reply #1844 on: June 25, 2018, 01:40:54 AM »
As written by Sergey Malinka earlier this year in relation to Kate....