Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530774 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #4035 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »
I have received a warning for libel - could a mod kindly tell me who I have libelled please?  If I don't know who or how I have libelled I am liable to libel again.  Many thanks for your co-operation.
You must have libelled the McCanns.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4036 on: February 11, 2021, 05:34:28 PM »
You must have libelled the McCanns.
No, I’ve just told you who I allegedly libelled (by making a factual statement).
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4037 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
Is that stipulated in the ECHR rules, i.e "once you retire you can defame your previous suspects"?   Who told him that?

As a serving PJ officer there were restrictions on Amaral's freedom of expression. Nothing to do with defamation, obviously. Not being as daft as people think, he knew that, which is why he resigned.

The judge of the first instance argued that his freedom of speech was still restricted, and used that argument to weight the balance between the competing rights in favour of the McCanns, but the appeal court disagreed.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4038 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
Amaral requested early retirement so that he could publish a book that he knew would probably make him lots of money.  Apparently it is libellous to say so though - it’s a 15% warning transgression.

But his book did make him lots of money.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4039 on: February 11, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »
As a serving PJ officer there were restrictions on Amaral's freedom of expression. Nothing to do with defamation, obviously. Not being as daft as people think, he knew that, which is why he resigned.

The judge of the first instance argued that his freedom of speech was still restricted, and used that argument to weight the balance between the competing rights in favour of the McCanns, but the appeal court disagreed.

What competing rights would that be...the McCanns right to  agood name.If amaral had not libelled them as you have claimed...what rights are you talking about

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4040 on: February 11, 2021, 05:44:10 PM »
No, I’ve just told you who I allegedly libelled (by making a factual statement).
You're obviously not a retired Portuguese police officer, or you'd have gotten away with it.

And hopefully the ECHR sees it differently.  It should not matter whether the person is retired or not. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4041 on: February 11, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
I know, so it is true to say that he resigned in order to cash in on the case IMO.  But you mustn’t actually say so because you’ll get punished.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:37:55 PM by G-Unit »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4042 on: February 11, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
I'm quite sure the McCanns were upset by the book. They thought the final report said they were innocent, then a book which suggests they weren't becomes a best seller in Portugal and sells well in other countries too. The nightmare wasn't over, it was continuing.

I wonder how upsetting it was when the Supreme Court judges disclosed that the final report didn't say they were innocent.

You obviously dont have a cite because as far as I know what you are saying isnt true. Could you therefore amend your post to show you are stating opinion not fact.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:51:38 PM by Davel »

Offline jassi

« Reply #4043 on: February 11, 2021, 05:51:40 PM »

Is that a problem ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4044 on: February 11, 2021, 06:01:00 PM »
I know, so it is true to say that he resigned in order to cash in on the case.  But you mustn’t actually say so because you’ll get punished.

As I have already stated, Amaral asked The PJ for permission to publish his book while still working for them.  They refused, so he had to retire in order to cash in on the case.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4045 on: February 11, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »
Is that a problem ?

It could well be for Amaral.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4046 on: February 11, 2021, 06:06:42 PM »
It could well be for Amaral.

In what way?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4047 on: February 11, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
In what way?

I would have thought that this was obvious.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4048 on: February 11, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
Not to me, it's not, so I'm curious as to what you come up with.
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #4049 on: February 11, 2021, 06:10:01 PM »

Not to me. Please explain.

Or maybe not -