Author Topic: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.  (Read 265373 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.
« Reply #360 on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »
The Telegraph won't have a copy of the suppressed report - they're just reporting what another paper is reporting. Newspapers do this all the time when they don't have their own source.
Are your sure that e-fit suits you ?

Offline Apostate

« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »
I don't think the Mccanns will react either. Because it's true. If an active police investigation was that important they would have asked for it to be kept open in 2008.

This is MASSIVE news. It makes a mockery of their 'no stone unturned' campaign.

No Stone Unturned*

* [except ones we don't want people looking under]

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »
I don't think the Mccanns will react either. Because it's true. If an active police investigation was that important they would have asked for it to be kept open in 2008.

This is what you think with the limited information you have.

Jesus kept saying, "Father, forgive them, because they don't know what they're doing."  8(0(*

AnneGuedes

« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
It makes a mockery of their 'no stone unturned' campaign.
It must be reckoned that clever Mrs Janet Kennedy, in December 2007, stated that instead of turning all stones, le motto had become "we'll never loose hope, never".

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

this woiuld be massive news if it were true..we don't know yet

Cariad

« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »
This is what you think with the limited information you have.

Jesus kept saying, "Father, forgive them, because they don't know what they're doing."  8(0(*

and Dave Lister said "I'm not a God, I've just been misquoted".

It must be reckoned that clever Mrs Janet Kennedy, in December 2007, stated that instead of turning all stones, le motto had become "we'll never loose hope, never".

The really should have taken that advice!

this woiuld be massive news if it were true..we don't know yet

You said "lets wait and see if other papers print it". We waited. We saw.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
The content of the news article(s) is not really the point. The real story here is that two papers have now printed stories that paint the McCanns in a less than glowing light.

This is on top of the Murdoch controlled Fox news in the US who interviewed some 'expert' who was also critical.

This is worrying news for the McCanns - we all know how quickly the media can turn against people and they do have a massive influence on public opinion.

N

I doubt very much that Murdoch is aware of that article..it is blatantly libellous in the libel capital of the world, the two reporters who wrote the article have already cost the times 500K in a libel case..what were they thinking...I don't think the McCanns will be at all worried when papers are telling the world they are no longer suspects and the PJ are looking for an abductor

Offline Victoria

« Reply #367 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
I don't think the McCanns would react to The Times story or any story about them at this point.

They right now got what they wanted, there is an active police investigation looking for Madeleine. Nothing else matters.

Absolutely. There is simply no need for them to react. Two police forces are investigating abduction which is all that they require.

Incidentally though I would say - on the subject of the efits, people do realise they are classed as intellectual property, right? In other words the efits can be owned. And the right to publish or distribute them belongs to the owners who are not necessarily the people who commissioned them.  Think about it.

Cariad

« Reply #368 on: October 27, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
Absolutely. There is simply no need for them to react. Two police forces are investigating abduction which is all that they require.

Incidentally though I would say - on the subject of the efits, people do realise they are classed as intellectual property, right? In other words the efits can be owned. And the right to publish or distribute them belongs to the owners who are not necessarily the people who commissioned them.  Think about it.

That doesn't really explain the letter from lawyers demanding confidentiality does it?

Offline Victoria

« Reply #369 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
That doesn't really explain the letter from lawyers demanding confidentiality does it?

Yes it does, when you consider what that letter related to. The implication some,of you are seeing in the article is that the McCanns attempted to enforce confidentiality in relation to the efit. In fact, confidentiality was enforced in regard to the whole report - how do you know this wasn't a clause relied upon to stop the investigators using personal information available to them to sell stories to journalists or write their own books? Nothing to do with the efits. The problem is  the two issues got conflated in the fall out.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #370 on: October 27, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »

Intellectual property ? Are you dreaming ? Would you hang these "pieces of art" in your garage ?
The people who draw faces on the pavements do better work.
The detectives contracted by the Fund were paid and had to execute orders. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #371 on: October 27, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
Intellectual property ? Are you dreaming ? Would you hang these "pieces of art" in your garage ?
The detectives contracted by the Fund were paid and had to execute orders. Nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't have to be good to be classed as intellectual property, Anne. The fact is, those drawings belong to the people who created them not to the people who commissioned their creation. The McCanns had no right to distribute the efits. They would have done if a positive relationship had been maintained between them and their PIs but unfortunately that relationship deteriorated.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

Anne I don't think you quite grasp the principle of intellectual property..it is a bit intellectual

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »

if the McCanns employed a cleaner now they would be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement..there is nothing sinister

AnneGuedes

« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
It doesn't have to be good to be classed as intellectual property, Anne. The fact is, those drawings belong to the people who created them not to the people who commissioned their creation. The McCanns had no right to distribute the efits. They would have done if a positive relationship had been maintained between them and their PIs but unfortunately that relationship deteriorated.
Have you a link to the contract specifying the e-fits belong to the e-fitters ? And can you explain why the Fund would pay for a e-fit it without being allowed to use it ? Finally did SY pay some kind of royalties to the authors ?