Author Topic: Blonde haired girl taken into care from a Roma couple in Dublin.  (Read 19425 times)

Opposing Pat

Blonde girl, 7, removed from Dublin Roma family.

Police in the Republic of Ireland have removed a seven-year-old blonde girl from a Roma family in Dublin.

The girl was taken into care after officers called to a house in Tallaght on Monday afternoon.

They saw a number of children, including the seven-year-old girl who has blonde hair and blue eyes.

The parents told police the child was their daughter, but officers were not satisfied with the explanation nor with the documents that were produced.

The Sunday World newspaper reported that a birth certificate was believed to have eventually been produced but officers were not satisfied with it.

The paper reported that although the couple claimed the child was born in the Coombe hospital in Dublin in 2006, the hospital had no record of the child being born on the date quoted by the parents.

Read more...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blonde-girl-7-taken-from-roma-family-in-dublin-29686005.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:00:27 PM by John »

AnneGuedes

Re: Blonde haired girl taken into care from a Roma couple in Dublin.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
A 7 years old girl is taken to her biological or not family just because of the colour of her hair and eyes, not because of bad treatments... Contagion isn't a vain word.

Cariad

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
A 7 years old girl is taken to her biological or not family just because of the colour of her hair and eyes, not because of bad treatments... Contagion isn't a vain word.

Scary isn't it? Poor kid.

Redblossom

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
Gardai also consulted experts to establish if it was physically possible for a Roma couple to give birth to a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes.

How stupid are they? Did they not do biology at school!
Of course it is....it depends on the genetic mix of  colour inherited and which one comes out more dominant
I imagine this will set up panic in that community now for those with the "wrong colour eyes" and  who dont have their papers in order for their legit children

icabodcrane

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
There  must  be more to this story than has been reported,  surely  ?

A child's colouring not being the same as the parents is not a matter for 'the authorities'   is it ? 

...  not unless they're Roma,  apparently

This is dangerous stuff

Offline south of the river

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
genetically it is impossible for two  brown eyed parents to have a blue eyed child

but I doubt this is just a random picking on a random Roma family - they must be known to the authorities or there has been a tip off from the public.

The authorities do have a responsibility to act and if the child is at risk then they need act -

suppose we will in due course 

Redblossom

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
There  must  be more to this story than has been reported,  surely  ?

A child's colouring not being the same as the parents is not a matter for 'the authorities'   is it ? 

...  not unless they're Roma,  apparently

This is dangerous stuff

I wonder if the reporter was "inspired" by recent events!

Bit more detail here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24626422

Reported because she looked nothing like her siblings

Physically or colour wise? Not all siblings look alike.

How long till Clarence comments......?

The DNA should tell anyway soon hopefully....then it will be a matter of right or wrong hospital records, charitable adoption if not theirs, abduction, etc etc....but yes, that they have powers to remove if a child is not in danger and only a suspicion she may not be theirs due to colour and looks   is quite unbelievable....they could have arranged for tests without traumatisinf the child, if theirs, I hope they sue for the distress
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:12:04 PM by Redblossom »

Redblossom

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
Black parents - white baby, anything is possible.

http://m.nbcnews.com/health/white-baby-born-black-parents-1C6437718

I didnt read the whole article, but if there was no white ancestry there, this is more of a fluke of nature....having a blonde blue eyed child while not common to Roma is not a rarity at all

Cariad

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
genetically it is impossible for two  brown eyed parents to have a blue eyed child

but I doubt this is just a random picking on a random Roma family - they must be known to the authorities or there has been a tip off from the public.

The authorities do have a responsibility to act and if the child is at risk then they need act -

suppose we will in due course

Two blue eyed parents can't have a brown eyed child. If you have brown eyes you can also carry the blue eye gene but it's masked by the dominant brown eyed gene. If you're blue eyed, you don't carry the brown eyed gene, you have two copies of blue.

Green is different again. It can manifest as hazel for a start, looking more like brown, but it isn't 'proper' brown.

Redblossom

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »

Someone on yahoo answers asked a question, why they had blue eyes whilst both their parents had brown eyes, the answer:

It is because brown eyes are dominant that they can hide for generations. Here's a quick explanation.

You inherit two genes for each trait, one from each parent. But in order for you to have brown eyes, you only have to inherit a brown gene from one parent. The other gene can be blue - but it will be overridden by the brown gene. If you then have children with a person who also has one brown gene and one blue gene, the child has a 25% chance of inheriting two blue genes and will therefore have blue eyes.

If B represents a Brown gene, and b represents a blue gene, the family tree looks like this:

Mother - Bb - brown eyes
Father - bB - brown eyes

Child can be any one of these:
Bb - brown eyes
BB - brown eyes
bB - brown eyes
bb - blue eyes

So 1 in 4 chance

Offline south of the river

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Someone on yahoo answers asked a question, why they had blue eyes whilst both their parents had brown eyes, the answer:

It is because brown eyes are dominant that they can hide for generations. Here's a quick explanation.

You inherit two genes for each trait, one from each parent. But in order for you to have brown eyes, you only have to inherit a brown gene from one parent. The other gene can be blue - but it will be overridden by the brown gene. If you then have children with a person who also has one brown gene and one blue gene, the child has a 25% chance of inheriting two blue genes and will therefore have blue eyes.

If B represents a Brown gene, and b represents a blue gene, the family tree looks like this:

Mother - Bb - brown eyes
Father - bB - brown eyes

Child can be any one of these:
Bb - brown eyes
BB - brown eyes
bB - brown eyes
bb - blue eyes

So 1 in 4 chance

yes I think you might be right - I got it the other way round - two blue eyed parents cant have a brown eyed child - A level biology was a long time ago !

Redblossom

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
Oh yes SOTR, a long time ago for me too, google is my friend these days lol

BTW, and Cariad, if you do google, apparently two blue eyed parents can have a brown eyed child....but I digress....hope this little girl and her family's situation is sorted out pdq...unless of course she was abducted and her parents are still looking for her!

Offline Apostate

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
many will remember the little blonde girl in Morroco who was one of the early "sightings"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-483941/Witness-Seeing-Madeleine-Morocco-sent-shivers-spine.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:05:55 PM by John »

Cariad

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
Oh yes SOTR, a long time ago for me too, google is my friend these days lol

BTW, and Cariad, if you do google, apparently two blue eyed parents can have a brown eyed child....but I digress....hope this little girl and her family's situation is sorted out pdq...unless of course she was abducted and her parents are still looking for her!

Brown is dominant though? If you carry the brown eyed gene you'd be brown eyed. It will always mask the blue eyed gene. If you and your mate are both blue eyed, you only carry the blue eyed gene, so you can't pass on the brown eyed gene to your offspring.

You can be brown eyed and have a blue eyed child though as you said.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
Brown is dominant though? If you carry the brown eyed gene you'd be brown eyed. It will always mask the blue eyed gene. If you and your mate are both blue eyed, you only carry the blue eyed gene, so you can't pass on the brown eyed gene to your offspring.

You can be brown eyed and have a blue eyed child though as you said.
If you have blue eyes, you're BLUE/blue. But if you have brown eyes, you can be BROWN/blue where the blue gene is recessive.
Sometimes the blue gene is expressed only after several generations : a BROWN/blue and a BROWN/blue can produce a BROWN/brown, a BROWN/blue or a BLUE/blue.