Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 281195 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
If they are not EU citizens or paying up front, I begrudge it.
"That'll be cash on the barrelhead, son
You can take your choice
You're twenty one
No money down
No credit plan
No time to chase you
'Cause I'm a busy man"

Join the waiting list squire.

The rich stockpiling only works with goods that can be stockpiled. Bread was rationed when I was a kid.

Bread was rationed from July 1946 for two years. You mist be older than me if you can remember that. Rationed goods which could be stockpiled included tea, canned, dried and bottled foods, petrol and coal. During WW2 the nation's health actually improved because everyone got a better diet than before. My mother hated butter but accepted her allocated ration then mashed it up with margarine to disguise the taste.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
I joked on FB today that I hoped there would be enough mangelwurzels to go round post-Brexit and my 80 year old mother replied:
“IMHO a diet of mangelworzels is HUGELY preferable to staying in the EU”.  Typical Brextremist is my dear ol’ ma, she’s positively looking forward to a return to post-war Britain!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
I joked on FB today that I hoped there would be enough mangelwurzels to go round post-Brexit and my 80 year old mother replied:
“IMHO a diet of mangelworzels is HUGELY preferable to staying in the EU”.  Typical Brextremist is my dear ol’ ma, she’s positively looking forward to a return to post-war Britain!

Your jokes seem to have a habit of falling on stony ground, don't they?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Your jokes seem to have a habit of falling on stony ground, don't they?
I do find that the Leave Brigade are very po-faced and humourless when it comes to Brexit.  Anyhow, I look forward to hearing your advice on what I need to do to mitigate the effects of a no deal Brexit on my business.  In your own time of course..l
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
Bread was rationed from July 1946 for two years. You mist be older than me if you can remember that. Rationed goods which could be stockpiled included tea, canned, dried and bottled foods, petrol and coal. During WW2 the nation's health actually improved because everyone got a better diet than before. My mother hated butter but accepted her allocated ration then mashed it up with margarine to disguise the taste.

I remember throwing snowballs at mi mum in food queues in the winter of 1947, I was 10 when sweets finally came off ration and 11 when meat came off ration. My eldest sister had to take her ration book with her when she went to university in 1948. The middle sister went to university in 1953 so presumably had to take her ration book too. Something ain't quite right if it takes nine years to stop rationing basic food stuffs, greedy toffs notwithstanding. Or it could be we are not self sufficient in food nor have been since the Napoleonic Wars.
I made it to 75 this year. Mr Reaper had a pop at me late spring. He came down the road with everything he had hoodie, scythe and all but failed dismally. I'll go when I am good and ready don't phone me I'll phone you Mr Reaper.... 8(>((
Wikipedia is quite amusing in places on rationing, especially the Cambridge experiment. The eye opener is the extra points given to diabetics all those years ago. There is an interesting display in Poole Museum re early 1950s rationing shown as a typical kitchen and pantry/larder of the time. It's not particularly inspiring. Having lived through rationing and digging bleeding allotments at age seven/eight I don't have many nostalgic memories of it.
If it happens soon I'll sit on a wagon with an overunder 10 gauge making sure Chris Grayling hoes his row.... @)(++(*

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2018, 10:15:49 PM »

She's a gem VS.   8(0(*
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »
No Deal will never happen.
It's politicians we are talking about here remember.

They have no veto as far as I understand Alice.  If there is no deal we leave the EU on the 29th March 2019 by default.  I think this is what the government are now preparing for, nothing else will ever get past a divided Parliament.

IMO the writing is now on the wall. A 'No Deal Brexit' is a real possibility despite Remainers in Parliament attempting to talk it down.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-planning-eu-commission-citizens-rights-business-economy-theresa-may-a8690476.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:33:47 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »
They have no veto as far as I understand Alice.  If there is no deal we leave the EU on the 29th March 2019 by default.  I think this is what the government are now preparing for, nothing else will ever get past a divided Parliament.

IMO the writing is now on the wall. A 'No Deal Brexit' is a real possibility despite Remainers in Parliament attempting to talk it down.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-planning-eu-commission-citizens-rights-business-economy-theresa-may-a8690476.html
IMO there will be a deadline extension and the agony will continue for a further six months, year, whatever.   

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »
I remember throwing snowballs at mi mum in food queues in the winter of 1947, I was 10 when sweets finally came off ration and 11 when meat came off ration. My eldest sister had to take her ration book with her when she went to university in 1948. The middle sister went to university in 1953 so presumably had to take her ration book too. Something ain't quite right if it takes nine years to stop rationing basic food stuffs, greedy toffs notwithstanding. Or it could be we are not self sufficient in food nor have been since the Napoleonic Wars.
I made it to 75 this year. Mr Reaper had a pop at me late spring. He came down the road with everything he had hoodie, scythe and all but failed dismally. I'll go when I am good and ready don't phone me I'll phone you Mr Reaper.... 8(>((
Wikipedia is quite amusing in places on rationing, especially the Cambridge experiment. The eye opener is the extra points given to diabetics all those years ago. There is an interesting display in Poole Museum re early 1950s rationing shown as a typical kitchen and pantry/larder of the time. It's not particularly inspiring. Having lived through rationing and digging bleeding allotments at age seven/eight I don't have many nostalgic memories of it.
If it happens soon I'll sit on a wagon with an overunder 10 gauge making sure Chris Grayling hoes his row.... @)(++(*

I'm merely 74. No sign of the Reaper yet, but he sneaks up on people sometimes doesn't he? I remember rationing of course, but not feeling deprived at all. Sweets were an occasional treat anyway and my mother was a fabulous cook; I can still remember her liver and bacon for example. Due to clothes rationing she used to go to jumble sales, buy adult knitwear and unwind it to make woollies for me. She also cut down adult dresses to make my clothes. I remember the discomfort of old houses in winter most. Draughty with frost on the inside of the windows, just one coal fire, freezing bedrooms and bathrooms, slippery eiderdowns I had a hot water bottle and bedsocks, but woke up with a freezing nose.

My husband had an overunder, but I don't remember the guage.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:13 PM »
IMO there will be a deadline extension and the agony will continue for a further six months, year, whatever.

That can only happen if the UK Government and the EU both agree to it.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2018, 11:16:24 PM »
That can only happen if the UK Government and the EU both agree to it.
I am well aware of that, thanks.  Now, what should I be doing in advance of a no-deal Brexit to keep my business afloat, please?

Offline Sunny

« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
I am well aware of that, thanks.  Now, what should I be doing in advance of a no-deal Brexit to keep my business afloat, please?

How can G-Unit advise you on your business without knowing what type of business it is, a shop, a factory, a cleaning business.  All will have different needs IMO.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2018, 11:24:16 PM »
How can G-Unit advise you on your business without knowing what type of business it is, a shop, a factory, a cleaning business.  All will have different needs IMO.
I’ve no idea but she claimed earlier that she could (see below) so I continue to wait patiently...

“I can think of a few things you can do to inform yourself of future problems. Have you done anything at all?”

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »

I told you how it works.

1. You tell me what you have already done.
2. I will then tell you of anything else I can  think of which might help.

Without 1 you don't get 2.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
I told you how it works.

1. You tell me what you have already done.
2. I will then tell you of anything else I can  think of which might help.

Without 1 you don't get 2.
I think you will find I have already answered.  But here it is again:  I have taken no steps so far to help mitigate the effects on my business of a no deal Brexit.  Now please educate me.