Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 281026 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2019, 09:47:20 AM »
Let me know if you require any more evidence.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
As this subject seems to interest you perhaps you could spend an hour or two researching whether or not a vote to leave the EU was understood by all to mean no single market and no attempt at brokering a deal with the EU, switching automatically to WTO two years after triggering Article 50.  Who talked about that in the Leave campaign?

Point being that the UK will trade with the EU on our terms. We will continue to buy French and German cars, French and Italian wine and Belgium chocolate on our terms. If we don't like them there are alternatives.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »
Boris Johnson didn’t appear to support leaving the EU with no deal and  trading on WTO terms with our nearest neighbours:

“Johnson called for Britain and the EU to negotiate a free-trade agreement – dubbed “Super Canada” – mirroring the deal the bloc signed with Ottawa in 2016.
It removed the vast majority of customs duties on exports crossing the Atlantic.
He conceded that negotiating such an agreement, which would aim for mutual recognition of standards to keep goods moving and also include services, may require extending any Brexit transition period beyond 2020”

I wonder what his position is now?

Boris has said lots of things over times...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-secret-pro-eu-article-revealed-expressing-doubts-brexit-a7363781.html

https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/boris-johnson-brexit-speech-changed-his-mind-remain-2018-2

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
Point being that the UK will trade with the EU on our terms. We will continue to buy French and German cars, French and Italian wine and Belgium chocolate on our terms. If we don't like them there are alternatives.
"Our terms" meaning considerably more expensive.  What marvellous terms they will be.  Oh well.  I'm sure the British public will be delighted when prices go up on all of these things, it's what they voted for after all.  Meanwhile they will be able to enjoy cheap foodstuffs from outside the EU like chlorine washed chicken (If Trump decides to do a trade deal with us, and it's a big if).  I say “they” as I don’t eat chicken, chlorinated or otherwise, and prefer my food to have done as few airmiles as possible.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:18:39 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline John

« Reply #365 on: January 16, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
"Our terms" meaning considerably more expensive.  What marvellous terms they will be.  Oh well.  I'm sure the British public will be delighted when prices go up on all of these things, it's what they voted for after all.  Meanwhile they will be able to enjoy cheap foodstuffs from outside the EU like chlorine washed chicken (If Trump decides to do a trade deal with us, and it's a big if).  I say “they” as I don’t eat chicken, chlorinated or otherwise, and prefer my food to have done as few air miles as possible.

A small price to pay initially for getting out of what is effectively a German Superstate by the back door.

The food standards in the UK will not be compromised following Brexit, this is simply scaremongering oka project fear.  Goods will inevitably be cheaper in the long run as countries begin to trade with the UK on WTO rules.

Having seen he way the EU has destroyed Spain the sooner we get out the better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:12:01 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #366 on: January 16, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
A small price to pay initially for getting out of what is effectively a German Superstate by the back door.

The food standards in the UK will not be compromised following Brexit, this is simply scaremongering oka project fear.  Goods will inevitably be cheaper in the long run as countries begin to trade with the UK on WTO rules.

Having seen he way the EU has destroyed Spain the sooner we get out the better.
How you have the nerve to talk about "scaremongering" in the same breath as emoting about "German Superstate" and "destroying Spain" is beyond me...

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
How you have the nerve to talk about "scaremongering" in the same breath as emoting about "German Superstate" and "destroying Spain" is beyond me...

Are you denying the influence Germans have in the EU?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »
Are you denying the influence Germans have in the EU?
Of course I'm not denying they are one of the key players in the EU and therefore influential.  What does John mean by the EU being a German Superstate then?  I suppose you don't see that as hysterical hyperbole or scaremongering.   I would call it Germanophobia, with its roots in a deep fear and mistrust of the Germans because of two world wars. 

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
Of course I'm not denying they are one of the key players in the EU and therefore influential.  What does John mean by the EU being a German Superstate then?  I suppose you don't see that as hysterical hyperbole or scaremongering.   I would call it Germanophobia, with its roots in a deep fear and mistrust of the Germans because of two world wars.

Sir Bill Cash MP, speaking in Parliament on the 'Withdrawal Agreement', says the EU is nothing more than an attempt to create a German Superstate.  I happen to agree with Sir Bill, Germany has got too big for its boots again and should have its powers in Europe trimmed.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:02:15 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-eu-referendum-single-market-brexit-a7104846.html

Boris Johnson backtracking madly following the referendum. He seemed to be trying to soften the blow for some reason.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Sunny

« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
Boris Johnson backtracking madly following the referendum. He seemed to be trying to soften the blow for some reason.

He does a lot of backtracking does Boris.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline John

« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »
Does anyone think Theresa May will lose the confidence vote tonight.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »
Does anyone think Theresa May will lose the confidence vote tonight.

Not a chance. The DUP have said they will support her as they don't want Jeremy Corbyn in power and the Conservatives will not vote to oust themselves either.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »
Oh, and this
https://www.markpack.org.uk/154126/leave-voters-expected-britain-stay-single-market/

They seem to have asked those who voted leave if they voted to leave the single market as well as the EU. The one third who said yes probably knew the two things were linked. Did the other two thirds understand this? Even Boris Johnson seemed to think the UK could pick and choose which EU institutions they left or stayed in. If the politicians didn't understand what the vote was about they need to resign imo.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0