Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284345 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #540 on: January 23, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
It was a UK vote, not a Northern Irish or Scottish vote, so that's immaterial.
Try telling that to the Irish or the Scots.   Won't it be hugely ironic if a UK vote for independence results in the destruction of the UK.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #541 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
Try telling that to the Irish or the Scots.   Won't it be hugely ironic if a UK vote for independence results in the destruction of the UK.

Perhaps Cornwall will leave the UK if we don't leave the EU, rather than be kept in against it's will. Who knows.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #542 on: January 23, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »
Perhaps Cornwall will leave the UK if we don't leave the EU, rather than be kept in against it's will. Who knows.
@)(++(*  I really don't think so, unless the Cornish are all stark staring bonkers.  Of course, we could take this to the nth degree and split the country by county into lots of little countries, or even by town.  I mean why should the people of Wakefield be controlled by a bunch of people in Parliament they never voted for and who force them to abide by the same rules and regulations as the people of London?  Independence for Wakefield from the tyranny of the unelected British bureaucrats!!!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #543 on: January 23, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
Anyway, if Cornwall left the Union then we would at least retain the Union Jack so no biggie.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #544 on: January 23, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
Anyway, if Cornwall left the Union then we would at least retain the Union Jack so no biggie.

Not quite the same.
Cornwall is a region of England.
Scotland is not.

There is a growing awareness here that no matter what the population of this country votes for, their votes are meaningless.
This can only lead to an ever increasing demand for independence.
At the time of the independence vote there were dire warnings that independence would lead to being out of the EU.
I know many who voted no to independence because they were concerned about the effect this would have.
How aggrieved they now are and if given another chance to vote for independence will now vote yes.

Oops sorry.
This was in reply to GU.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:39:26 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #545 on: January 23, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »

Not quite the same.
Scotland is not.

There is a growing awareness here that no matter what the population of this country votes for, their votes are meaningless.
At the time of the independence vote there were dire warnings that independence would lead to being out of the EU.
I know many who voted no to independence because they were concerned about the effect this would have.
How aggrieved they now are and if given another chance to vote for independence will now vote yes.

Oops sorry.
This was in reply to GU.

I can understand that. Many in Scotland must feel aggrieved at having voted 62% (or whatever it was) to stay and being forced to go with the global vote, plus  the fact that ROI might well get a better overall deal. Such a shame, IMO.

Offline Carana

« Reply #546 on: January 23, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Cornwall is the homeland of the Cornish people and the cultural and ethnic origin of the Cornish diaspora. It retains a distinct cultural identity that reflects its unique history, and is recognised as one of the Celtic nations with a rich cultural heritage.[7] It was formerly a Brythonic kingdom and subsequently a royal duchy. The Cornish nationalist movement contests the present constitutional status of Cornwall and seeks greater autonomy within the United Kingdom in the form of a devolved legislative Cornish Assembly with powers similar to those in Wales and Scotland.[8][9] In 2014, Cornish people were granted minority status under the European Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities,[10] giving them recognition as a distinct ethnic group.[11][12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #547 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »
@)(++(*  I really don't think so, unless the Cornish are all stark staring bonkers.  Of course, we could take this to the nth degree and split the country by county into lots of little countries, or even by town.  I mean why should the people of Wakefield be controlled by a bunch of people in Parliament they never voted for and who force them to abide by the same rules and regulations as the people of London?  Independence for Wakefield from the tyranny of the unelected British bureaucrats!!!

Precisely. That's how silly it is for people to retreat into their own little corners and argue that 'they didn't vote for it'. That's how elections and referendums work; some get what they want and some don't.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #548 on: January 23, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »
Michel Barnier says opposing no-deal Brexit will not stop it in March

EU’s chief negotiator warns UK will crash out unless ‘positive majority’ of MPs agree on new vision

Barnier said that extending the two years of the negotiating period beyond 29 March should not be the primary focus for the UK parliament.

“We need decisions more than we need time actually”, he said. “I don’t know whether postponing or extending will be raised but its the head of state and government that will have to answer that question by consensus. Some have said to me that if the question is raised, then why would we do that? What would the purpose be? How long would be required?”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/michel-barnier-warns-against-time-limited-irish-backstop

Offline Carana

« Reply #549 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
Precisely. That's how silly it is for people to retreat into their own little corners and argue that 'they didn't vote for it'. That's how elections and referendums work; some get what they want and some don't.

What I find irritating is that the referendum was advisory. If the government had felt obliged to send a leaflet, they  could have simply said that it was important to have input and it would be given serious consideration, bla, bla. Even better, they should have done their  homework before unleashing this mess.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #550 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »

Not quite the same.
Scotland is not.

Oops sorry.
This was in reply to GU.

Scotland is part of the UK. They voted in a UK referendum just like everyone else. Those who voted remain lost, just as others all over the UK lost.  Just over one and a half million voters were disappointed, but just over a million voters got the result they voted for. They may have been in the minority in Scotland, but this wasn't a Scottish referendum.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #551 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
Scotland is part of the UK. They voted in a UK referendum just like everyone else. Those who voted remain lost, just as others all over the UK lost.  Just over one and a half million voters were disappointed, but just over a million voters got the result they voted for. They may have been in the minority in Scotland, but this wasn't a Scottish referendum.

And your post defines exactly the reasons why there is a growing desire for independence, especially with the younger generations.
They see the futility of voting when their vote  is pointless.

It may not be in my lifetime but I believe my grandchildren will live in an independent Scotland.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:34:29 PM by Angelo222 »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #552 on: January 23, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Retreating into their own little corner is precisely what the GBP voted for, just.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #553 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »

And your post defines exactly the reasons why there is a growing desire for independence, especially with the younger generations.
They see the futility of voting when their vote  is pointless.

It may not be in my lifetime but I believe my grandchildren will live in an independent Scotland.

Imagine how it feels when you vote for something, win, and then the politicians refuse to accept the result! It's quite normal in a first past the post democracy for people's votes to be pointless. Think about Labour voters in a safe Tory seat and vice versa.

It would be interesting to see how an independant Scotland would get on. Organising it's own affairs might be harder than it thinks. I lived in the Western Isles and their contempt for Westminster was clear but so was their lack of fellow feeling for the Lowlanders. The Gaelic term for the Lowlands is a' Ghalldachd, "the place of the foreigner".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:34:53 PM by Angelo222 »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #554 on: January 23, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »

Not quite the same.
Scotland is not.

Oops sorry.
This was in reply to GU.

I think we should cut Scotland loose and see how long it takes them to mess up.  When they eventually wake up and realise that they will need a visa to work in England it will be too late. 😂😂😂
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!