Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 409269 times)

Offline John

The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
This thread has been started in order to give everyone an opportunity to discuss and digest the reports originating from the libel trial.

Kate McCann arriving at court in Lisbon accompanied by Susan Hubbard (R) and Emma Loach (L).

Kate McCann weeped today as a friend told a Portuguese court that the family were 'devastated' by unfounded claims in a former police chief's book.  Mrs McCann was attending the court at the restart of the family's libel action against Goncalo Amaral.

• The former police chief published a book alleging she staged her daughter Madeleine's disappearance, despite lack of evidence.
  • The McCanns were arrested and formally cleared by Portuguese police.
  • Three-year-old Madeleine went missing from a resort in the Algarve in 2007

A friend of missing Madeleine McCann's family today told a £1million libel trial in Portugal that the girl's parents were 'devastated' by claims made in a book by the former police chief who
accused her of staging her daughter's disappearance, despite a lack of evidence.

Kate McCann arrived in the country today, accompanied by her mother Susan Healy for the first hearing of the case against Goncalo Amaral, who published a book making allegations about the three-year-old's disappearance.

The McCanns have strongly denied the accusations in the book, titled 'Maddie: The Truth of The Lie', which allege that Madeleine died in the holiday apartment and her parents staged a cover-up.

They have been ruled out as suspects in Madeleine's disappearance after being arrested and formally cleared by Portuguese police.

The couple say the former detective's claims have damaged the hunt for their daughter and exacerbated the anguish suffered by her relatives.

Today, Susan Hubbard, a friend of the McCanns and the wife of the family's priest, told Lisbon's civil court that Mrs McCann had been 'devastated' by the book.

Mrs McCann, who has travelled to Portugal for the hearing, could have been called as a witness but is not expected to give evidence. Instead, a number of relatives are appearing in the witness box.

They will give evidence relating to the 'damage' caused by Mr Amaral's book, which they claim has poisoned public opinion in Portugal against the family and allegedly deterred people from hunting for Madeleine.

Read more...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:26:33 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »
http://www.on-pt.com/?id=57632&feedcat=11&feedsubcat=26

You would have thought, he would at least wear a suit and tie, for court.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:17:20 PM by DCI »
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
http://www.on-pt.com/?id=57632&feedcat=11&feedsubcat=26

You would have thought, he would at least wear a suit and tie, for court.

Good to see the old chap looking so well.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Lyall

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
Sky News just showed K McCann's short statement outside the court. She's determined.

Lyall

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »
No to frighten everybody 8()-000(

Offline Luz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
No to frighten everybody 8()-000(

Really?   @)(++(*
By their faces they are the ones that look frightened @)(++(* @)(++(*

I am not sure, but I think that on this civil cases there is a counterclaim possibility. I hope so  and although it has not been announced, I hope Amaral is countersuing them.

I'll get to my books to see if that is possible....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:08:24 PM by Luz »

Redblossom

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
Sky News just showed K McCann's short statement outside the court. She's determined.

Does it matter? LOL, shes not  the judge
 @)(++(*

Redblossom

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »
Just seen Kate *Oscar hopeful* Mccann on Sky saying how much the book is making them suffer

A year or two ago  they were both saying on camera they have moved on and got on with their lives and in a happy place!!!

ye Gods
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:23:34 PM by Redblossom »

Lyall

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Brunty now says if the Met investigation "comes to nothing", McCanns will hire more PIs.

He's a cheeky chap isn't he.

Lyall

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
Does it matter? LOL, shes not  the judge
 @)(++(*

She won't let it lie Red. Until we're all wiped off the planet 8(0(*

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
Isabel Duarte speaking outside the court today admitted that she had been unable to locate the funds which Mr Amaral has accrued following the release of his book and DVD etc.

He has effectively hidden them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:33:05 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Redblossom

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Brunty now says if the Met investigation "comes to nothing", McCanns will hire more PIs.

He's a cheeky chap isn't he.

he is indeed!!! LOL at more PIs! SY have 37 .....and if they find nothing, after the PJ the UK LP and their seven detective agencies used, hiring iron man, batman, the transporter, hellraiser or someone similar might find Madeleine
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:33:59 PM by Redblossom »

Redblossom

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
She won't let it lie Red. Until we're all wiped off the planet 8(0(*

Balls not in her court though.......she should take up kamikaze training...I mean after all didnt  she say back in 2007 she had had enough and sometimes she wished she could press a button and they would  all be gone and all together? If thats not an admission of Madeleine being dead dunno what is

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
Its not about the money apparently?  ...but every little helps!   8(0(*

Redblossom

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
Its not about the money apparently?  ...but every little helps!   8(0(*

Oh its never been about money...*chortle* if it had been they would be asking for 10 million not just one in compensation, duh!!..according to clarence mitchell  their spokesman they only take on legal proceedings  with heavy hearts....i bet they are really crying tryng to fleece Amaral and destroy him, I mean I bet they were also crying when they paid metodo 3 to discredit him.....sob sob catholic compassionate sob....kate mccanns forgiven the abductor though how kind