Author Topic: Making a murderer - The original wrongful prosecution of Steven Avery  (Read 13702 times)

Offline lordpookles

Anyone seen it?

What did peeps think? For me it made me think about this case and how careful we should be especially when there is no evidence and especially when you have a cop on the case who has also be found guilty of corruption.

Steven Avery (born July 9, 1962) is an American convict from Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, who served 18 years in prison for a sexual assault conviction but was exonerated when DNA analysis pointed to another man.  He was released from prison on September 11, 2003. 

In 2005, Avery was arrested for and later convicted of the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach.  Both cases are the focus of the Netflix original documentary series Making a Murderer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:35:39 AM by Admin »

Offline John

Re: Making a murderer - The original wrongful prosecution of Steven Avery
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »

Making a Murderer examines allegations of police and prosecutorial misconduct, evidence tampering and witness coercion. The filmmakers look at what went wrong in the first case and question whether scientific advances and legislative reforms over the past three decades have gotten us any closer to delivering truth and justice in the system.

https://pr.netflix.com/WebClient/getNewsSummary.do?newsId=2772
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
Anyone seen it?

Steven Avery (born July 9, 1962) is an American convict from Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, who served 18 years in prison for a sexual assault conviction but was exonerated when DNA analysis pointed to another man.  He was released from prison on September 11, 2003. 

In 2005, Avery was arrested for and later convicted of the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach.  Both cases are the focus of the Netflix original documentary series Making a Murderer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery

What did peeps think? For me it made me think about this case and how careful we should be especially when there is no evidence and especially when you have a cop on the case who has also be found guilty of corruption.

Knew nothing at all about it until I found this link this morning which I have only skimmed with the intention of going back to read in some depth.
Quite disturbing.
http://www.refinery29.uk/2016/01/100539/penny-beernsten-the-rape-victim-in-making-a-murderer-speaks-out

I'll catch up on your youtube link later.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
Interesting read. The documentary was equally disturbing and had me feeling so angry at the injustice of how they proceeded with this investigation. Well worth a watch!

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
Thank you for introducing the topic Lordpookles.  It must be one of the best examples of malfeasance by those who are sworn to uphold the Law in a US State.  It was incredible that Stephen Avery's conviction was overturned after 18 long years on the basis of a single pubic hair which contained the exact DNA to a suspect who had already been identified.  And a conviction despite Steven's apparent rock solid alibi which was supported by 22 people.

I was unfortunate enough to see the Law and Justce System in the UK from both sides and despite what many people believe, there is a small percentage of police and prosecutors out there who think they are above the Law.  I haven't seen the entire video yet but I will add further comments if necessary.

I would recommend this case to anyone interested in justice.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:18:10 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that John.

The documentary series is definitely worth a watch and gripping imo. And you can get a free month at netflix, so can watch for free.

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that John.

The documentary series is definitely worth a watch and gripping imo. And you can get a free month at netflix, so can watch for free.

All I need now is the time.  Steven's lawyer summed up the investigation by the AG quite nicely as a crock of shit or to put it another way, covering their asses at any cost.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:33:03 AM by Admin »

Offline Carana

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
I look forward to watching it... but there numerous such cases now emerging, particularly in the US.

The Innocence Project appears to be (literally) life-saving for some victims of botched investigations, but unfortunately a lot of the cases rely on being able to retest DNA, and if forensic samples have been "lost" or weren't preserved correctly, then there's little to be done.

Offline mercury

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:52:07 PM »
Unfortunately in the usa they are as happy to convict just for the sake of convicting as they are trigger happy....they have a massive problem or two to put it mildly  in that country with their so called justice system, quite chlling

Must be somethng in the air..these past two weeks Ive seen four true movies about wrongful convictions and the intransigence of the "system"...not just a wrong verdict but a systematic conspiracy to jail the wrong person.....by what is no less than psycopaths in position of power......I hope ths poor b....r got a massve compensation package and the pigs responsble behnd bars where they belong

Ps LP if you were referring to GAmaral in your OP, ....hardly, doesnt even come close
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:03:06 AM by mercury »

Offline Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
They say lightening doesn't strike the same spot twice but could the Steven Avery conviction for murder this time prove that it does?

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:46:11 PM »
Unfortunately in the usa they are as happy to convict just for the sake of convicting as they are trigger happy....they have a massive problem or two to put it mildly  in that country with their so called justice system, quite chlling

Must be somethng in the air..these past two weeks Ive seen four true movies about wrongful convictions and the intransigence of the "system"...not just a wrong verdict but a systematic conspiracy to jail the wrong person.....by what is no less than psycopaths in position of power......I hope ths poor b....r got a massve compensation package and the pigs responsble behnd bars where they belong

Ps LP if you were referring to GAmaral in your OP, ....hardly, doesnt even come close

All depends your beliefs perhaps Mercury? Personally I feel there are some similarities and in the McCann case we even have a cop who has been charged with corruption... All options are on the table imo...

Offline mercury

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
They say lightening doesn't strike the same spot twice but could the Steven Avery conviction for murder this time prove that it does?

Very possible. I read the wiki entry on him. Jury members threatened/told to vote guilty?
He was meeting the reporter to talk about the first conviction...makes more sense that certain people wanted to save their hides rather than him flipping and turning into a murderer. Murdering the very person who was going to tell his story??  No motive.

Offline mercury

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
All depends your beliefs perhaps Mercury? Personally I feel there are some similarities and in the McCann case we even have a cop who has been charged with corruption... All options are on the table imo...

One is on a gargantuan scale, with many players, the other is not....there is no way the Mccanns could have been wrongfully imprisoned, they werent even arrested or charged

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
One is on a gargantuan scale, with many players, the other is not....there is no way the Mccanns could have been wrongfully imprisoned, they werent even arrested or charged

The PJ thought the McCanns were guilty...there certainly was a possibility that they could have been arrested and charged...then held on remand...that's why they needed the lawyers

Offline Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:29 AM »
Did anyone watch the Discovery Channel documentary about the Steven Avery case on Saturday night in which it was pointed out that much of the evidence was ignored by the makers of Making a Murderer?