Author Topic: About drawback or backspatter.  (Read 75569 times)

Offline scipio_usmc

Re: About drawback or backspatter.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
The WHF tragedy is now almost 3 decades old.  The whole world has changed during this time.  Not least in the way we communicate.  The internet offers new opportunities to exchange information and identify and procure the very best expert witnesses from across the globe.

Imo JB's defence at trial was very poor.  The prosecution's firearms expert, Malcolm Fletcher, went largely unchallenged.  The defence was supported by Major Mead who, as I understand it, was not a firearms expert.  That was then and this is now.

I am particularly impressed with Dr Jon Nordby:

http://www.finalanalysisforensics.com/media/pdfs/Jon-Nordby-CV-140813.pdf

I like the way he communicates complex information:

http://www.finalanalysisforensics.com/media/pdfs/BasicBloodstainPatternAnalysisTEXT.pdf

Dr Jon Nordby tells us the following:

"3. Draw-back effect
a) The draw-back effect sucks blood into the muzzle of a firearm
immediately after its discharge due to the partial vacuum created by
contracting discharge gasses.
b) The draw-back effect can be observed in contact gunshot wounds but
the effect(s) of compensators, suppressors and silencing devices as
well as any other intervening items may alter the outcome".

The jury was not told that a silencer might alter the outcome of draw-back.  I am keen to understand how a silencer might alter the outcome of draw-back  &%+((£

Contrary to your assertion forensics are fully supported by established branches of science eg physics, maths, logic, biology, chemistry.  There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that if the silencer was accidentally or deliberately contaminated that will now become apparent.  I would suggest sooner rather than later.  It is all to play for especially with regard to the distance the blood travelled ie the 5th baffle and the way in which it distributed ie a flake.  I believe this will tell us whether the blood was there as a result of a gunshot wound or not.

With regard to your interest in what motivates individuals to take an interest in the WHF tragedy/Jeremy Bamber's case have you ever considered your own motivations?   8(0(*

Who do you think you are kidding?  Nordby's simplistic definition doesn't even begin to discuss the 3 distinct causes of drawback which I posted about.  I posted on purpose to show it has muliple causes and facets.  The ONLY thing you care about is theat Nordby made the claim attachments sometimes alter drawback being found in the weapon.  How?  Well first of if long enough the drawback never reaches the weapon they sit in the attachment only.  Smoe attachments don't have a flush face and have holes such as flash suppressors.  This prevents the attachment from touching the body well and containing the blood of inhibits gases touchign but that doesn't mean the OTHER 2 causes of drawback still will not caus eit.

You are desperate to try to pretend that drawback will not end up in a mdoerator but it is wrong and documented in the field that bdrawback has ended up in moderators.

The defense couldn't find someone to rebut the proseuction expert's claims that the wound was a contact wound,that a contact wound in the location in question was virtually certain to result in drawback or rebut that drawback end sup in a moderator like the one belongign to the murder weapon.

Thinking you are going to find someone when the defense failed is just funny!

“...there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”  Niccolò Machiavelli

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
Who do you think you are kidding?  Nordby's simplistic definition doesn't even begin to discuss the 3 distinct causes of drawback which I posted about.  I posted on purpose to show it has muliple causes and facets.  The ONLY thing you care about is theat Nordby made the claim attachments sometimes alter drawback being found in the weapon.  How?  Well first of if long enough the drawback never reaches the weapon they sit in the attachment only.  Smoe attachments don't have a flush face and have holes such as flash suppressors.  This prevents the attachment from touching the body well and containing the blood of inhibits gases touchign but that doesn't mean the OTHER 2 causes of drawback still will not caus eit.

You are desperate to try to pretend that drawback will not end up in a mdoerator but it is wrong and documented in the field that bdrawback has ended up in moderators.

The defense couldn't find someone to rebut the proseuction expert's claims that the wound was a contact wound,that a contact wound in the location in question was virtually certain to result in drawback or rebut that drawback end sup in a moderator like the one belongign to the murder weapon.

Thinking you are going to find someone when the defense failed is just funny!

The link I provided to the document produced by Dr Nordby is entitled "Basic Bloodstain Pattern Analysis."  You will note the word BASIC.  It is intended as an overview for the everyday reader not a highly technical report.  However he does make two good points that provide food for thought with regard to JB's case:

"b) The draw-back effect can be observed in contact gunshot wounds but

You will again note the words "CAN" and "MAY". 

Everything I have read with regard to draw-back refers to blood being drawn back into the barrel of a gun.  I have not read anything where silencers etc have been referred to.  I am sure it is possible though otherwise Dr Nordby would say as much.  In any event I think you misunderstand I am not saying that draw-back would not be possible with a silencer, what I am saying is that I have a question mark as to whether blood could have been drawn back into the silencer as far back as the 8th baffle.  (I have previously stated 5th baffle but having re-read the CoA document I can see the general consensus at the hearing between the relevant expert witnesses and judges was that blood was seen as far back as the 8th baffle).  I also have a question mark about the way in which the blood was distributed ie a flake and its actual location within the silencer along with general descriptions as to where other blood was found.

As far as I am aware JB's defence have never challenged the location and distribution of the blood in the silencer?  The CoA doc states:

"457. Mr Fletcher, the firearms expert, gave evidence to explain how blood got into the moderator if it was attached, or into the barrel if there was no moderator attached. He said that the mechanism was complicated and not then fully appreciated. However, the expanding gas when the bullet left the muzzle was under normal circumstances distributed into the atmosphere. However with a contact shot there was no opportunity for this escape and the gas would follow the bullet into the wound as it expanded. Back pressure would then build up forcing the gas back out of the wound taking with it blood and tissue which would in effect be blasted back into the barrel if there was no moderator or into the moderator if one was attached. He said that even without direct contact, the same effect might occur but only if the gap between the end of the barrel, or the moderator if attached, and the skin was less than one millimetre. He said that the likelihood of such an occurrence was to an extent dependent on the part of the body to which the shot was delivered and the amount of blood present at that point".

Mr Fletcher states above "He said that the mechanism was complicated and not then fully appreciated".  This was at JB's trial.  The CCRC referred JB's case to the CoA based on LCN DNA.  It was not to challenge draw-back, the location of the blood and its distribution.  As far as I am aware the CCRC application which was rejected 2012 didn't challenge these aspects either.  You will also note above that Mr Fletcher states tissue would accompany the blood but there was no tissue just paint and a hair!

It should be possible for the likes of Dr Nordby to say whether or not the blood would have distributed as described by the expert witnesses in the CoA doc as a result of draw-back or whether it was contaminated either deliberately or accidentally:

Extracts from the CoA document which describe the location and distribution of the blood in the silencer:

"Scientific examination of the sound moderator 75. Traces of blood in the form of smears were found in three places on the outside of the moderator: on the flat surface at the muzzle end, in the knurled end and in the ridge at the gun end of the device. The blood on the outside of the moderator was confirmed to be of human origin but there were insufficient quantities to permit grouping analysis".

"Inside the moderator, on the four or five baffles nearest to the end from which the bullet would exit, there was a considerable amount of blood. At one point blood had pooled to form a flake when it dried, and this flake was subjected to group testing".

"a considerable amount of blood" inside the moderator deposited in the spaces to the sides of the baffles around the edge of the silencer".

"He suggested that the flake, which was a quarter of an inch across"

"Mr Hayward states that he could detect visible staining on the "upper baffle plates"

"Mr Hayward gave evidence of having found "a considerable amount of blood" on the "few" baffles nearest to the muzzle end. He had not noted the number of baffles but from recollection thought that it was about five".

"Mr Fletcher, the firearms expert, gave evidence that he had seen blood which went down as far as the fifth baffle and he thought that there might have been a little further in as well, may be the sixth or seventh baffle".

"Dr Lincoln recorded that on the 29 April 1986, he examined all seventeen baffles and obtained weak or very weak positive reactions indicating the presence of blood on the first eight baffles. There was no blood visible to the naked eye. He thought the findings could have been consistent with swabbing to remove bloodstains for
testing. Tests on the remaining nine baffles proved negative".

"On 8 September 1986, Dr Lincoln discussed the matter with Mr Hayward and Mr Hayward told him that there was visible blood on the first four, five or six baffle plates and "the blood staining appeared to diminish as one progressed through the baffle plates". Mr Hayward said that he had swabbed the upper baffle plates and obtained the groupings A, EAP BA. Mr Hayward had also described to Dr Lincoln the removal of the flake found trapped beneath either the first or second baffle".

"Thus it is clear that no blood was ever seen by any of those who had examined the baffles on any baffle beyond the eighth one from the bullet exiting end and nor have any tests revealed the presence of blood beyond this point. Dr Lincoln in April 1986 specifically tested all the baffles for blood and found no trace of any beyond the eighth baffle"

"Indications of blood were originally detected on the end cap, the washer, the first *eight baffles and the screw threads at the end of the sound moderator. No blood was detected on the remaining *nine baffles".

*I thought the Parker Hale silencer had 15 baffles not 17 as above?  I'm baffled if I know   8)-)))

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »
*I thought the Parker Hale silencer had 15 baffles not 17 as above?  I'm baffled if I know   8)-)))
Either the number of baffles changed with the year of manufacture (from enquiries made to Parker-Hale, as I remember reading on'tother side... which should be taken with a dollop of you know what), or Fletcher and Lincoln counted the additional washer and spring-washer as baffles, making the number up to 17. Only one washer is mentioned in the CoA document, so maybe there was a mistake in transcription there. The spring-washer is needed to keep the baffles tight and aligned.

If you're desperate, mail the original serial number to the current seller who took over from Parker-Hale, if you can find it in the gun supplier's police statement and see if they've any info in their records going back to '84...

http://www.bisley-uk.com/product_v3.php?i=PHSSA&c=23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

Failing that, try a firearms forum where someone is sure to know.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »
Holly... where do you think that shootalike photo was taken?

Was it WHF? 

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
Was it WHF?
The Rick Astley photo has intrigued me since I first saw it in one of the Murder Casebook magazines.  It was from the Anglia Press Agency just like other contemporary b&w photos taken about the WHF incident, such as the one of a detective (D.I. Ron Cook I think) examining NB's Citroen car parked outside Goldhanger cottage. The rifle has an undamaged stock where his right hand is, and the white-painted panelling behind him is similar to that at WHF, so I'm thinking the photo was taken there.  I'm sure this was a different Anschutz and moderator to the murder weapon... maybe Anthony Pargeter's?  Rick Astley is possibly a plain-clothes policeman, or might be AP himself at a long shot, although can't remember what he looked like. There is a photo somewhere or OS Quicktime video on YouTube showing a glimpse of AP.

See below...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:29:41 PM by Myster »

Offline Myster

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »
Either the number of baffles changed with the year of manufacture (from enquiries made to Parker-Hale, as I remember reading on'tother side... which should be taken with a dollop of you know what), or Fletcher and Lincoln counted the additional washer and spring-washer as baffles, making the number up to 17. Only one washer is mentioned in the CoA document, so maybe there was a mistake in transcription there. The spring-washer is needed to keep the baffles tight and aligned.

If you're desperate, mail the original serial number to the current seller who took over from Parker-Hale, if you can find it in the gun supplier's police statement and see if they've any info in their records going back to '84...

http://www.bisley-uk.com/product_v3.php?i=PHSSA&c=23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

Failing that, try a firearms forum where someone is sure to know.

Malcom Fletcher and Dr Lincoln mistaking the spring and plain washers as baffles sprung to my mind.  If this is the case it's very sloppy and somewhat worrying that forensic scientists are incorrectly identifying exhibits. It's a simple piece of kit with few components so difficult to get muddled. The flake was found under the first two baffles.  So does this relate to the spring and plain washer or 1st and 2nd baffle? 

The first third of the silencer (nearest the gun end) is an expansion chamber.  As I understand it when the bullet exits the barrel of the gun, with gases from firing, it enters the silencer/expansion chamber and loses some of the gases in the expansion chamber.  This reduces the pressure quite considerably.  Typically from 3000 psi to 60 psi.  How does this impact draw-back?  Would the drop in pressure negate draw-back?  Certainly a lot of power is lost.

I'm baffled out.  I need a drink  *&*%£

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
Malcom Fletcher from CoA doc:

"457. Mr Fletcher, the firearms expert, gave evidence to explain how blood got into the moderator if it was attached, or into the barrel if there was no moderator attached. He said that the mechanism was complicated and not then fully appreciated. However, the expanding gas when the bullet left the muzzle was under normal circumstances distributed into the atmosphere. However with a contact shot there was no opportunity for this escape and the gas would follow the bullet into the wound as it expanded. Back pressure would then build up forcing the gas back out of the wound taking with it blood and tissue which would in effect be blasted back into the barrel if there was no moderator or into the moderator if one was attached".

Malcolm Fletcher doesn't appear to have made any allowance for the gases lost in the silencer's expansion chamber as stated below:

The first third of the silencer (nearest the gun end) is an expansion chamber.  As I understand it when the bullet exits the barrel of the gun, with gases from firing, it enters the silencer/expansion chamber and loses some of the gases in the expansion chamber.  This reduces the pressure quite considerably.  Typically from 3000 psi to 60 psi.  How does this impact draw-back?  Would the drop in pressure negate draw-back?  Certainly a lot of power is lost.

http://www.finalanalysisforensics.com/media/pdfs/BasicBloodstainPatternAnalysisTEXT.pdf

(Page 6)

3. Draw-back effect
well as any other intervening items may alter the outcome.

Lol imagine if it is proven that draw-back is impossible   8)><( @)(++(*

Offline scipio_usmc

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »
The only way to prove drawbackimpossible is to establish a wound was made from too far a distance for drawback to occur.

3 different things cause drawback but it only heppens when the gun is close enough.

The woudn was determined to be a contact wound that woudl result in drawback and thus tha thad the wepaon been used without the moderator blood would have been in the rifle but it wasn't.  The defens ehas been completely unable to deal with this aspect let alone the blood found in the mdoerator.  BOTH need to be dealth with.

As for the baffles the design was changed. It had 17 at the time Nevill's purchase but they were subsequently altered to 15 that is why the relacement sets have 15 baffles now. 
“...there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”  Niccolò Machiavelli

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
The only way to prove drawbackimpossible is to establish a wound was made from too far a distance for drawback to occur.

3 different things cause drawback but it only heppens when the gun is close enough.

The woudn was determined to be a contact wound that woudl result in drawback and thus tha thad the wepaon been used without the moderator blood would have been in the rifle but it wasn't.  The defens ehas been completely unable to deal with this aspect let alone the blood found in the mdoerator.  BOTH need to be dealth with.

As for the baffles the design was changed. It had 17 at the time Nevill's purchase but they were subsequently altered to 15 that is why the relacement sets have 15 baffles now.

Thanks for clarifying the baffles.

It's absolutely not true that all contact wounds result in draw-back.

It's not even certain SC's wounds were contact but even if they were the other conditions make it an unlikely occurrence:

- Small calibre weapon
- Small bullets
- Anatomical location - neck

Now factor in the gasses dissipating in the chamber with a reduction in pressure from circa 3000 psi to circa 60 psi. 

Why do you think Dr Nordby states:

Page 6:

Please note the word "can" ie not that it will but it can.

Not only was it unlikely to have occurred with SC's wounds due to the above factors but there's much evidence to suggest it didn't:

- Lack of skin tissue
- Distance blood travelled back ie 8th baffle
- The way in which the blood was distributed

It should be possible for the likes of Dr Nordby to confirm one way or the other.

Offline scipio_usmc

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:14 AM »
Thanks for clarifying the baffles.

It's absolutely not true that all contact wounds result in draw-back.

It's not even certain SC's wounds were contact but even if they were the other conditions make it an unlikely occurrence:

- Small calibre weapon
- Small bullets
- Anatomical location - neck

Now factor in the gasses dissipating in the chamber with a reduction in pressure from circa 3000 psi to circa 60 psi. 

Why do you think Dr Nordby states:

Page 6:

Please note the word "can" ie not that it will but it can.

Not only was it unlikely to have occurred with SC's wounds due to the above factors but there's much evidence to suggest it didn't:

- Lack of skin tissue
- Distance blood travelled back ie 8th baffle
- The way in which the blood was distributed

It should be possible for the likes of Dr Nordby to confirm one way or the other.

You keep making up your own crap.

You took an Indian source that made very gernalized claims and hold that out as neck wounds rarely being able to reuslt is drawback or backspatter.  I produced a source that stated striaght out that shots to areas of the turnk that have a lot of blood available can result in backsaptter hitting a shooter who is 4 meters away. You keep intentioanlyl twisting very generalized claims to suit your agenda.   

You still keep ignoring that there are 3 distinct things that cause drawback and 2 of them are not related to contact wounds but rather back spatter generally.  Those 2 result in back spatter even when the gun is far away from the muzzle.  The distance is significant because that determines whether it will be able to go inside the gun or hit the shooter if not a contact wound.  If a contact wound then the ADDED factor of the gases come into play.

You made up from whole cloth the notion that neck wounds in the location of the fatal wound under the conditions tha texisted with a lot of blood inside from the first owund would not be likely to result in spatter.  You twisted a bunch of very generalized claims that offered nothing specifically related to the analysist that was conducted by the prosecution experts.

You also ar emaking up form whole cloth the notion 22 claibers virtually never result in spatter the truth is they often do BUT rarely result in spatter with head shots. It is the reverse of what you want to contend. 

Your own source said tissue rarely enters inside but you twisted that too and declare tissue has to be inside.  In the meantime there ocudl have been tissue for all you knwo the prosecution had no reason to mention it because until DNA testing we had no ability to try determining who tissue came from when there are multiple victims.

You make up all you own crap just like you made up all you own babble about June and Sheila's mental issues only you know even less about guns and the physiology behind bullet wounds than you do about psychology.

You ridiculously suggest you know better than the experts in the case and that based on very generlaized claims you can refute the prosecution experts though the defense found no one who could do so and still to this day have found no one who could do so.  It is really laughable.

In the menatime the only research you are willing to do on drawbakc and back spatter is ion the Internet then you claim there is a dearth of information.  The experts have a great deal of information.  If you are willing to pay or to go to libraries that have major medical journals and publications you can read all about the studies.  The books you are reaidng are to provide a very short overview so peopel are simply aware it exists.

I fed you a source that was onyl providing an overview but had more technical information than most by describing the 3 processes that can cause drawback.  Most sources don't even bother noting there are 3 and only discuss gases.  Those that do mention there are 3 usually don't bother to list them all and discuss them because they are only providing a very broad overview.  You should be happy to have read how all 3 operate.  It didn't discuss in detail how they interact with one another though it just mentions they do.

Making up your own claims that 22 claibers ar enot going to result in drawback goes no where.  You have shown yourself to have little knowledge about guns and can't possibly refute the evidence of the experts.  You need to get detailed expert evaluations to try to refute it.  The defense failed so obviously your work at finding an expert is not going to be easy especially when you don't want to pay for it. 

Offline Myster

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:15 AM »
Someone else was baffled as well...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/260691-parker-hale-moderator-re-assembly-question/

... but 17 was the correct number...

http://www.forensic-science.co.uk/bamber6.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:51:40 AM by Myster »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
You keep making up your own crap.

You took an Indian source that made very gernalized claims and hold that out as neck wounds rarely being able to reuslt is drawback or backspatter.  I produced a source that stated striaght out that shots to areas of the turnk that have a lot of blood available can result in backsaptter hitting a shooter who is 4 meters away. You keep intentioanlyl twisting very generalized claims to suit your agenda.   

You still keep ignoring that there are 3 distinct things that cause drawback and 2 of them are not related to contact wounds but rather back spatter generally.  Those 2 result in back spatter even when the gun is far away from the muzzle.  The distance is significant because that determines whether it will be able to go inside the gun or hit the shooter if not a contact wound.  If a contact wound then the ADDED factor of the gases come into play.

You made up from whole cloth the notion that neck wounds in the location of the fatal wound under the conditions tha texisted with a lot of blood inside from the first owund would not be likely to result in spatter.  You twisted a bunch of very generalized claims that offered nothing specifically related to the analysist that was conducted by the prosecution experts.

You also ar emaking up form whole cloth the notion 22 claibers virtually never result in spatter the truth is they often do BUT rarely result in spatter with head shots. It is the reverse of what you want to contend. 

Your own source said tissue rarely enters inside but you twisted that too and declare tissue has to be inside.  In the meantime there ocudl have been tissue for all you knwo the prosecution had no reason to mention it because until DNA testing we had no ability to try determining who tissue came from when there are multiple victims.

You make up all you own crap just like you made up all you own babble about June and Sheila's mental issues only you know even less about guns and the physiology behind bullet wounds than you do about psychology.

You ridiculously suggest you know better than the experts in the case and that based on very generlaized claims you can refute the prosecution experts though the defense found no one who could do so and still to this day have found no one who could do so.  It is really laughable.

In the menatime the only research you are willing to do on drawbakc and back spatter is ion the Internet then you claim there is a dearth of information.  The experts have a great deal of information.  If you are willing to pay or to go to libraries that have major medical journals and publications you can read all about the studies.  The books you are reaidng are to provide a very short overview so peopel are simply aware it exists.

I fed you a source that was onyl providing an overview but had more technical information than most by describing the 3 processes that can cause drawback.  Most sources don't even bother noting there are 3 and only discuss gases.  Those that do mention there are 3 usually don't bother to list them all and discuss them because they are only providing a very broad overview.  You should be happy to have read how all 3 operate.  It didn't discuss in detail how they interact with one another though it just mentions they do.

Making up your own claims that 22 claibers ar enot going to result in drawback goes no where.  You have shown yourself to have little knowledge about guns and can't possibly refute the evidence of the experts.  You need to get detailed expert evaluations to try to refute it.  The defense failed so obviously your work at finding an expert is not going to be easy especially when you don't want to pay for it.

(See the top of your post above).  Karma dear, Karma  @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

We can all see when you start losing the argument.  Posters and guests can judge for themselves. 

I stand by my previous comments on this thread and others can carry out their own research and form their own opinions. 

Holls -V- Scip  ?>)()<

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:52:25 PM by John »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
Someone else was baffled as well...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/260691-parker-hale-moderator-re-assembly-question/

... but 17 was the correct number...

http://www.forensic-science.co.uk/bamber6.html

I'm confused!  Was it 15 then 17 or the other way round?  Either way I wonder why the manufacturers decided to increase or decrease?  &%+((£

Offline Myster

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
I'm confused!  Was it 15 then 17 or the other way round?  Either way I wonder why the manufacturers decided to increase or decrease?  &%+((£
Parker-Hale must have used 17 baffles pre-1985 like the Bamber's moderator, then they found that 15 gave just as good a sound reduction as 17, so standardized on fewer and saved very slightly in manufacturing costs.