Author Topic: The Defence Will State Their Case  (Read 599639 times)

Offline justsaying

Re: The Defence Will State Their Case
« Reply #1830 on: October 01, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
There is plenty of evidence to support the conviction, the confession being the first and foremost. Followed by DNA which was said by forensic scientists to be a billion to one match. No-one is laughing at you Nine, it is the conspiracy theories which seem pretty far out.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1831 on: October 01, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
The idea behind the theories, is it shows that anything could have happened other than what has been said....  As I keep saying a story on the stand without evidence to support it is just that....

A story!!

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1832 on: October 01, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
There is plenty of evidence to support the confession. Unfortunately Nine, you overlook every single bit of it. The story he gave was pretty convincing, enough to see him convicted at the very least.

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1833 on: October 01, 2018, 09:11:45 PM »
Tabak took the stand in court and told the jury exactly how he killed her. How is that not evidence? It is evidence against him of the strongest kind. He told the jury he strangled her, how would he know she had been strangled if he did not do it himself?

Offline [...]

« Reply #1834 on: October 01, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
The Index of William Cleggs Book....   I'll mark the ones I'm not sure of, difficult to read

Index

Affair, rumours of 260
Africa 217
Alumci 187 *

Allied Brish bank 177*
Allies, the 90
abervautive, arguing in the 133,177

Altum, Brian 124
Alzhemers Disease 94
Amsterdam 255
Andrusha the b........ 111, 117
anti-Semitic 91
Antoinette,Marie 63
Archbishop of Canterbury 267
Armed robbery, 59, 273
Armstrong Dean 244
Asia 217
Asperger's syndrome 38
asphyxiated 67
assault 239
Assize Court 30
Astor Lady 46
Atkinson,Richard 38
Attorney General 86,87,178
Australia 121,226

Bachelor of Laws 28
Badge,peter 93
Balkan free regiment 90
Balkans 181
Banfield, Don 169-174
Banfield, Lynette 170-174
Banfield Shirley 170-174
Bank of England 120
bank security 273
Banstead 79
Barclays Bank 29
Bar Council 192
Bar exams 31,43
bar mess 100
Barnet & Camden Rent Tribunal 48
Barry 77
Bar standards board 197
Bar,the 271
Basildon 100
BBC Today program 200
Beaumont QC, Peter 101
Bedford Row 177,200
Belarus 82,92,102,111
Belfast 148,150,152
Belfast Crown Court 149
Berkshire 38
Bingham,Lord 141
Birmingham Six 66
Bishops 152
Bisset, Samantha 35,42
Bisset jasmine 38
Blackberries 264
Blackfriars Crown Court 269
black market fuel 87
Blair,Tony 104,178,269
Bosnia 182
Bosnian Serb Army 182
Bowers, Nicholas 85
Bow Street Magistrates Court 49,112
Brent Walker 144
Brest-Litovsk 110
Bribery Act, 218
bribery and corruption 217
Bristol 241
Bristol Crown Court 246
Bristol Ram 241
Bristol University 28
Britain 90,95
British Army 151,262
British companies 218
British Empire 225
British Overseas Territories 226
Britton, Paul 18
Brixton 20
Broadmoor High Security Hospital
Brooks, Charlie 256-269
Brooks, Rebekah 257-259
Browning, Professor 115
Bryant-Heron QC Mark 260
Bulsara, Barry 206
burglary 48
Burke QC, Trevor 259
Butte Mining 123-129
Butte Mountain 122,123
Callaghan, James 178
call to the bar 32

Can't see any more of the index on the image....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline [...]

« Reply #1835 on: October 01, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »
Tabak took the stand in court and told the jury exactly how he killed her. How is that not evidence? It is evidence against him of the strongest kind. He told the jury he strangled her, how would he know she had been strangled if he did not do it himself?

We all were already aware that she had been strangled... DCI Phil Jones told us so I believe it was on the 28th December 2010

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1836 on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Ok I will take your word on that, if you have any news reports on that before the confession that would be great. However, it still does not explain why he took the stand and explained in detail how he killed her if he did not do it. It is still really strong evidence of his guilt.

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1837 on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
Oh and the billion to one match DNA would also point to his guilt too. Along with the fact he was googling the difference between murder and manslaughter prior to his arrest - this was all pretty damning evidence from which the jury could infer guilt.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1838 on: October 01, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
Ok I will take your word on that, if you have any news reports on that before the confession that would be great. However, it still does not explain why he took the stand and explained in detail how he killed her if he did not do it. It is still really strong evidence of his guilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8noQpXm0HQU

Police Announce Murder enquiry launched over death of Joanna

Avon and Somerset Constabulary
Published on Dec 28, 2010

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Jones has today (28/12/10) confirmed that the investigation into the death of 25-year-old Joanna Yeates is now a murder enquiry. http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/jo
Category
News & Politics

At around 58 seconds DCI Phil Jones uses the word STRANGULATION

Everything about this case was in the media on facebook, or twitter...  Anyone could have put together a garbled version of supposed events that took place.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline [...]

« Reply #1839 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:34 PM »
Oh and the billion to one match DNA would also point to his guilt too. Along with the fact he was googling the difference between murder and manslaughter prior to his arrest - this was all pretty damning evidence from which the jury could infer guilt.

DCI Jones says at the Leveson it was partial a low copy DNA...  It was as much use as a chocolate teapot.... And even more to the point, DNA doesn't have a sell by date, transfer can happened, they lived in the same building and used the same gate... Also everyone used the main entrance to collect their mail.. anyone could have transferred Dr Vincent Tabak DNA to any location....  And anyone could have picked Dr Vincent Tabak's DNA up!!

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1840 on: October 01, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
Ok, so he confessed to her murder. Took the stand in court and confessed before a jury, and his DNA got on her by other means of transfer... Based on his confession, I very much doubt the DNA was innocently transferred to his murder victim.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1841 on: October 01, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
Think Bills short of a bob or two....
We’re in crisis, our courts are worse than in the Third World

ONE OF the country’s leading barristers warns the judicial system is in crisis and worse than some Third World countries.
By JAMES MURRAY
PUBLISHED: 02:07, Sun, Sep 30, 2018 | UPDATED: 02:29, Sun, Sep 30, 2018

William Clegg, QC, a leading defence lawyer who has worked on high profile cases for half a century and whose clients have included Prince Andrew, said the profession is under attack from cutbacks and revealed he worried about the fairness of trials in the future.

He said morale in the judiciary was at “an all-time low”, with staff shortages, broken facilities and “a general feeling of squalor”.

Speaking from his chambers, 2 Bedford Row in central London, Mr Clegg said barristers now had to have a private income to be able to operate, which he claims sets back diversity by up to 40 years. Mr Clegg, whose clients have included Barry George and Colin Stagg, paints a worrying picture in his book, Under The Wig, published this week.

He said: “At the moment the profession is in crisis and the court system is in crisis.

“It is unbelievable that if you go to a busy crown court in London you will find lavatories that don’t work, lifts that are broken, carpets that are threadbare, roofs that leak and a general feeling of squalor that is difficult to believe when you are in one of the biggest economies in the world.

“Incredibly, if you go to the Third World and a court there, you find they are often in pristine condition – spotless and there is a great pride in the fact that they are able to keep their courts in an immaculate state. There is none of that in this country.” He said government cuts were to blame, explaining: “The profession has been attacked on all fronts by the Government.
“There is no department which has lost more money by way of a percentage of its turnover than the Lord Chancellor’s Department and the Ministry of Justice. They have been hit the hardest of any departments. As a result morale in the judiciary is at an all-time low.

“There are staff cuts, the effect of which means courts cannot sit because there is nobody to open them.

“I have been in court where we are due to start a trial at 10 o’clock but not been able to start it until 10.30 because there is no usher and no clerk to open the door and let me in because one clerk is having to do two or three courts at the same time. And one usher is having to do two courts.” He said the situation is so bad everyone has become “completely depressed” by the way the court system operates.
Mr Clegg added: “The barristers, the practitioners, have had their fees savaged to a fraction of what they were.

“When I defended Barry George [for the murder of Jill Dando] I was paid approximately half as much Michael Mansfield QC was for defending him in his first trial. If I were to defend him today I would be paid half as much again.

“Barristers are undervalued by the Government and it’s getting to the stage now where despite great strides the profession has made to increase diversity in the profession, the fees are so low that unless you have a private income you can’t afford to be a barrister doing publicly funded work.

“It is setting back diversity 30 or 40 years. You either have to have a private income, family money, or you have to subsidise the publicly funded work with private work. In a chambers like this one a lot of our turnover is from private paying individuals – most of it, in fact. Some will take out a second mortgage to pay for their defence. Some will be covered by insurance, the directors of companies. Sometimes a trade union will pay, sometimes a local authority will pay.

Looks like Bill has forgotten all about Dr Vincent Tabak....  And Joanna Yeates..

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/1024725/We-re-in-crisis-our-courts-are-worse-than-in-the-Third-World

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1842 on: October 02, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
He must have forgotten about all his other clients too considering he only mentions two of them  @)(++(*

Offline [...]

« Reply #1843 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
He must have forgotten about all his other clients too considering he only mentions two of them  @)(++(*

There doesn't appear to be many pages in his book for a man with an illustrious career...  The Master Defender appears to have omitted many volumes.. 

Offline [...]

« Reply #1844 on: October 03, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »
William Cleggs Interview on Radio 2 .... A pre recorded Interview.. On Radio 2 today..

A most important insight into his views about people he has defended:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Steve Wright:

William Clegg QC is with us and we are gonna talk about Williams book. The book is called Under The Wig.William Clegg QC has been a barrister for 47 years and has become the go to lawyer for complex murder and fraud cases.
William is head of one of London's leading chambers and tomorrow he publishes his first book Under The Wig a lawyers stories of murder,guilt and Innocence. It's basically a memoir that takes you behind the scenes of what its like to be a top lawyer. So.. Lets go back and find out your history first of all.
I know that you are from South end on Sea, when did you get into lawyering?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

William Clegg:

Well I went to University in 1968 which er, is exactly 50 years ago, to read law there and after that I became a barrister and started in practice on my own account in 1972.

Steve Wright: And that was always your intension yer?

William Clegg: Always was..

Steve Wright: Why?

William Clegg: Always was fascinated by the law, I think with the interest stemmed primarily from television, I enjoyed arguing and talking and giving talks and debates and I just thought that it was probably the best job in the world.

Steve Wright: Perry Mason was largely responsible for you going into the law, thats put what you say in the book...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Someone: No

____________________________________________________________________________________________

William Clegg: True.. I used to watch Perry Mason every week and he never lost a case. And i thought thats the job for me.

Steve Wright: You prefer to defend,

William Clegg: I defend 99% of the time

Steve Wright: And when you prosecute thats something completely different?

William Clegg: It is I do it occasionally, i think I'm better suited temperamentally to defending.

Steve Wright: Oh thats an interesting remark.. why?

William Clegg: I don't know really, i think as my career has developed i have done more defending therefore I'm more comfortable with it, I've had more success defending in as much my biggest cases have tended to be defence cases ,because of that when I've been offered work it tends to have been bigger defence than bigger prosecution cases.

Steve Wright: We've all seen programs on television, you mentioned Perry mason earlier on, but we've all seen back in the old days LA Law and all of these programs that depict what it's like within law firms. Is it very much like that? Is there back biting? Is there competitiveness.

William Clegg: Not so much no.. As a barrister you have to be a member of what we call a set of chambers , which is an office really, that we share the overheads of but we don't share profit. That really in the best way has a collegiate atmosphere, your there to support each other, there is comparatively little jealousy and back biting, and certainly nothing like you see on the television.

Steve Wright: You talk in the book about making sure that you pay attention to all the details of a particular case, why is that important, because do a jury really follow the detail.

William Clegg: A jury might not follow all the detail, but it's essential that you have mastered every detail of a case, in order to ascertain exactly what it is that is most important, what it is that is going to appeal to a jury and even more important than that, dangers of missing something that you night have over looked, that could ultimately lose a case.

Steve Wright: And nervousness before a case and or before a verdict

William Clegg: One is always nervous before going into court if you're not it's probably time to give up, and the tension before a verdict is returned in a major criminal trial is like no tension you would ever experience in the West End.
Steve Wright: But surely you know that you've done well, before the verdict.
William Clegg: You never know..whether you've won or lost

Steve Wright : really

William Clegg: You hope you've won you suspect you might have lost, but you never know and a jury can always surprise.

Steve Wright: Can you sense the way that a case is going because, a case would typically last, what, 2 weeks , 4 weeks. Longer maybe sometimes.

William Clegg: Some of my cases have lasted over 6 months, you try all the time to work out what the jury are thinking, whether they like this point, whether they don't like that point, whether they're with you or against you. It's a very inexact science. I've known juries who smile at you for 2 months and then convict in record time, and juries that look as stern as stern can be and come in and find you not guilty in no time at all.

Steve Wright: umm.. William Clegg is here barrister discussing his book Under The Wig a lawyers stories of Murder, Guilt and Innocence, and we are gonna come back right in a moment don't go..

Song Playing.......  Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross (Best that you can do)

Steve Wright: All right... William Clegg barrister, is back with us, his book is called Under The Wig a lawyers stories of Murder, Guilt and Innocence. Looking through the book, I'm quite interested in the way that you have to be, i think you say unemotional about each case. How is that possible?

William Clegg: Yes.. It is very difficult to remain unemotional, I think it come with experience and training. It's not always possible, sometimes you inevitably get caught up in the emotion of a case and that emotion will build up as you approach verdict. I think in a sense the more detached you can be, often the better you can present the case.

Steve Wright: I think you'll know the question that I've been working up to and I think you'll probably expecting it and you always have an answer for it.. Are you ready for it here we go.. The questions basically if you're defending somebody and you know that he or she did it, no matter what it is, then how can you possibly defend them?

William Clegg: If you know in the strict sense of that word that somebody has done it then your not allowed to defend them.. So if they were to say I have done this but I want to get off you have to say i cannot defend you.

Steve Wright: and theres never been a case where that has happened?

William Clegg: There's never been a case where someone has said that to me and I have defended them, No... It would be a serious act of professional misconduct... What you of course do do, is defend people who the evidence tends to suggest very strongly is guilty. But... If they tell you that they didn't do it, how ever strong the evidence is, you have to defend them, and we operate a system called the cab-rank rule by which we are required to set the next brief we are offered, even if the case is unattractive, and the reason for that is to ensure that is that nobody is left without representation. 

Steve Wright: So you would have gone into court in your career, more or less knowing that someone did the crime but you have to defend them, because on their word, they told you that they didn't..

William Clegg: That is true, but I've also gone into court to defend people who everybody thought was guilty, who said they did not and it transpired ultimately they were proved to be innocent and they would never have been defended by anybody had we been allowed to pick and choose our cases.. 

Steve Wright: William revisits in this book many of the famous trials that he was involved in, they include 'The First Nazi War Crimes prosecutions in Britain, he was also involved in 'The Phone Hacking Trial'.. The man given life because of an ear print, perhaps you might want to talk us through that one... Interesting

William Clegg: That was a young man who was convicted of Murder , the victim of burglary, her house was entered, via a window on the ground floor, when the Police Investigated they found on that window an ear print, which was the only clue left behind by the burglar.

Steve Wright: I've never heard of an ear prints before,

William Clegg: To be honest nor had I.. It was a new an emerging science, and the Police found an expert in Holland, who was prepared to say , ear prints are unique to each person in the same way that a finger print is

Steve Wright: Really..

William Clegg: And that expert said that that ear print matched the man in the dock. I was brought in to conduct his second appeal which was won and then just at the time of his retrial, advances in DNA evidence was able to establish , that the DNA profile found in the centre of the ear print was from somebody else.The Prosecution offered no evidence. and there is an example of an innocent man

Steve Wright: Yes

William Clegg: Wrongly charged with Murder,who might have never have been defended had people read the papers and thought, it's obviously him the experts says so....

Steve Wright: Yer... Fascinating talking to you, thank you so much for coming in and talking to us about this book, the book is called 'Under The Wig' .. talking of which, you don't really think we should wear the wigs anymore..

William Clegg: I'm very much in favour of the abolition of the wig , I think it's ridiculous to put a bit of dead horse hair on your head in order to administer justice..

Steve Wright: It's kind of frightening don't you think,it's kind er,

Someone: Formality

Steve Wright: It gives a formality, exactly..

William Clegg: I don't think you need to put a wig on your head to achieve formality, you should be able to acheive formality without that as every other country does.

Steve Wright: Point well made,.. A Lawyers Stories of Murder, Guilt and Innocence by William Clegg QC is published tomorrow in hardback, thank you very much, William Clegg everybody... thank you

Song Finished with: I Gotta Feeling Black Eyed Peas (Tonights gonna be a good night)

I hope to revisit this and see how William Cleggs Defence of Dr Vincent Tabak plays out..  I believe I need to understand how the defence council works, to get a better understanding of how and why he defended Dr Vincent Tabak..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000kct