Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413750 times)

Offline John

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #615 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »
It does seem a bit disappointing.  Maybe Anne can fill us in on how the Judge reacted to events.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #616 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
Dra Duarte asked for being informed before the 27th about the Judge's decision concerning her clients taking the stand not as witnesses but as plaintiffs, in order not to have her clients flying for peanuts, legitimately but disrespectfully of the fact that Mr McCann went twice to Lx knowing perfectly he couldn't be heard.

My feeling is that this kind of trial should occur in a continuity, for the sake of the protagonists' sharp mindedness and the dynamism of the sessions.

Is the 27th turning to be the day of all revelations ? It should be prepared to have an increase of hours, though GA's lawyer told me his allegations wouldn't be long.
Jerry Lawton, who is a nice and handsome guy, told me that 1) he's not the Jamie Oliver of the tabloids' dressing for his articles (my words, not his) and 2) he never reads his articles. But he's convinced, or wants to be, that if something he wrote was twisted he would be informed somehow, Twitter or sms.
He believes that the content is all and the form not much. What is literature for ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:26:52 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #617 on: November 05, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »
Dra Duarte asked for being informed before the 27th about the Judge's decision concerning her clients taking the stand not as witnesses but as plaintiffs, in order not to have her clients flying for peanuts, legitimately but disrespectfully of the fact that Mr McCann went twice to Lx knowing perfectly he couldn't be heard.

My feeling is that this kind of trial should occur in a continuity, for the sake of the protagonists' sharp mindedness and the dynamism of the sessions.

Is the 27th turning to be the day of all revelations ? It should be prepared to have an increase of hours, though GA's lawyer told me his allegations wouldn't be long.
Jerry Lawton, who is a nice and handsome guy, told me that 1) he's not the Jamie Oliver of the tabloids' dressing for his articles (my words, not his) and 2) he never reads his articles. But he's convinced, or wants to be, that if something he wrote was twisted he would be informed somehow, Twitter or sms.
He believes that the content is all and the form not much. What is literature for ?

This post makes very little sense..whats going on

Cariad

« Reply #618 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
Anne advises that three witnesses gave evidence today.  Two witnesses were supposed to testify this morning but Paulo Sargento got married and might well be on his honeymoon in the Caribbean. Mario Sena Lopes, the editor of G&P eventually testified.

In the afternoon three witnesses were supposed to testify but one was dismissed and two appeared. Antonio dos Santos, director of an association which counters publishing fraud and Luis Froes, manager of Valentim de Carvalhos Filmes, who couldn't recall most of what he was asked.  The judge finally asked him to do some research and come back on the 27th November to answer the same questions.

Quite a day!

Thank you Anne! I'm looking forward to the 27th  8)-)))

Benita

« Reply #619 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
I'm really sorry Anne but I don't understand this post at all.

doesn't make no sense at all  >@@(*&)

Offline John

« Reply #620 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Day 8 - Libel trial

Photo courtesy Anne Guedes

Dr Gonçalo Amaral and lawyer Dr Santos de Oliveira outside the Palace of Justice, Lisbon, earlier today.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:42:10 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #621 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »
Good grief, is that how one attends court these days?

Not quite Old Bailey style is it Neeley?  @)(++(*

Maybe Anne will tell us if they wear formal gowns or wigs in Court?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:48:18 PM by John »

Benita

« Reply #622 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
really don't see the point in the photo's tbh ...its not telling us anything is it .... 8-)(--)

AnneGuedes

« Reply #623 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
Not quite Old Bailey style is it Neeley?  @)(++(*

Maybe Anne will tell us if they wear formal gowns or wigs in Court?
Robes but no wigs. they dress in the court room, no solemnity. But everybody stands up when the Judge enters.
When Old Bailey lawyers have a 4 hours break and part of it is lunch time they dance, but on the sly.. At least I hope.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #624 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:20 PM »
OMG, What else I wouldn't hear in this case

A former Portuguese police chief blamed Madeleine McCann's parents for the three-year-old girl's disappearance to ensure detectives carried on looking for her, a former colleague claimed today.
Antonio Paulo dos Santos told a Lisbon court he believed his friend Goncalo Amaral penned a book pointing the finger at the couple because he was against the shelving of the original investigation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487987/Madeleine-McCanns-parents-suspects-Portuguese-detectives-didnt-abandon-case.html#ixzz2joeDF4LX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So now Amaral made the McCanns suspects to make them a favour ?????

Lyall

« Reply #625 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
Another rather strange post Anne.
How do you know that the old bailey lawyers have four hour lunch breaks!

Anne was being humurous 8(>((

UK trials often have lots of breaks, for legal reasons they say but who knows what they're really doing in private >@@(*&)

Benita

« Reply #626 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
OMG, What else I wouldn't hear in this case

So now Amaral made the McCanns suspects to make them a favour ?????

so many interuptions in this case its unbelievable ... imo amaral is trying to stall for some reason ..now his witness is on his honeymoon  8-)(--)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:23:59 PM by Benita »

Offline puglove

« Reply #627 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:48 PM »
I take it You are au faire with court proceedings then?

Ooh. Think it might be "au fait."

And yes, I still have a tenuous grip on my mod hat. Thanks for caring!!
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline puglove

« Reply #628 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »
My pleasure!

Ho Ho!! To be fair, I don't know enough to moderate the McCann case. As John knows. I hope that Madeleine doesn't suffer, and I hope that children will never again be left in all kinds of danger because they inconvenience their silly, selfish parents, and that is as far as my interest in the case goes. I have no idea what happened to Madeleine, and after weeks of following you lot on here, I'm none the wiser.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Lyall

« Reply #629 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
I take it You are au faire with court proceedings then?

Not professionally, I just read books about trials (and the newspapers). Lots of reasons why they send the jury out and discuss things in private, for long periods sometimes.