Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413699 times)

Offline jassi

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1440 on: January 05, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
He's the easiest target as the others are rather more faceless organisations.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1441 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
Am I missing something here? 'twas my understanding there are 4 defendants in this case although Amaral would seem to be presented as the bogey man in chief.

Your new here so I will explain, everything is Amarals fault.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1442 on: January 05, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »
Your new here so I will explain, everything is Amarals fault.

Yes, even down to the poor weather that fateful week.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1443 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
Am I missing something here? 'twas my understanding there are 4 defendants in this case although Amaral would seem to be presented as the bogey man in chief.

Amaral kicked it all off.  He made the accusations and the rest of them ran with it.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1444 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
Yes, even down to the poor weather that fateful week.

yep he  even made gerry and kate and the tapas   go to the tapas bar and abandon their kids powerful man isnt he!!!

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1445 on: January 05, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Amaral kicked it all off.  He made the accusations and the rest of them ran with it.

Yes & it was Amaral & Cristovao who snatched Maddie.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1446 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
Yes & it was Amaral & Cristovao who snatched Maddie.

Come on.  I never said that.

Estuarine

« Reply #1447 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
I think you all missed the point !

Cariad

« Reply #1448 on: January 05, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
I think you are wrong about the prejuduices...its simple understanding of the evidence...did the mccanna lie in their statements..I say no...did they lie about the shutters ...I say no....did the dogs prove a cadaver had been present..I say no...has their behavior since shown them to be guilty...no

then theres the fact theyve never been arrested and the ag report said there was no evidence they had committed any crime...

i was right about the ST article, when most on here accepted it ...and Im right about the Mccanns

Yes, I have been absent so missed most of the Times debate, but I'm happy to concede that your predicted outcome was correct on that one. I believed a denial would imminently follow the article, should there be one, you said 'wait and see'.

We'll see soon enough (I hope) who's right on this one. 

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1449 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
I think you all missed the point !

Not really.  We all have different points.  But the other Defendants will win or lose along with Amaral.  The only difference is that they can better afford to lose.

But when push comes to shove it was the accusations of Amaral that motivated the whole their money making exercise.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1450 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »
This is the critical part of this document...in us law it is called libel per se and includes accusations of a criminal nature,which reverses the burden of proof...if portuguese law is the same then it is ammaral who has to prove...the truth is none of us know

It seems hugely complex (I'm not a lawyer).

My understanding is that normally, in Portuguese civil and commercial litigation, the burden of proof lies with the plaintiff.

Upon appeal, whether the original ruling was upheld or overturned, the burden of proof in the Murat case was shifted to the media. As I understand the ruling, the media have both rights and duties. In his case, the (unfulfilled) duties of the media prevailed in terms of ruling in his favour. *

There are similarities, but also differences, between the two cases.

* Edited for clarification as it wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:04:53 PM by Carana »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1451 on: January 05, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Not really.  We all have different points.  But the other Defendants will win or lose along with Amaral.  The only difference is that they can better afford to lose.

But when push comes to shove it was the accusations of Amaral that motivated the whole their money making exercise.

In some respect in the UK at least he would be in a stronger position than the others as it was his Opinion.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1452 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »

They are film-makers and publishers - of course they are out to make money. Do you think Corner's film making company didn't make money out of the work they did?

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1453 on: January 05, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
It seems hugely complex (I'm not a lawyer).

My understanding is that normally, in Portuguese civil and commercial litigation, the burden of proof lies with the plaintiff.

Upon appeal, whether the original ruling was upheld or overturned, the burden of proof in the Murat case was shifted to the media. As I understand the ruling, the media have both rights and duties. In his case, the (unfulfilled) duties of the media prevailed.

There are similarities, but also differences, between the two cases.

Its probably quite simple but we dont know in what situations the burden of proof is changed...that would perhaps give us the answer

Estuarine

« Reply #1454 on: January 05, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »
In some respect in the UK at least he would be in a stronger position than the others as it was his Opinion.