Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413680 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1635 on: January 09, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
I'm sure we  will, and I, for one, am more than happy to wait until it is.

Me too.  Glad we've sorted that out.

Offline Benice

« Reply #1636 on: January 09, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »
It was all explained many, many moons ago.  And I don't have the time or patience to track it down.

Believe it or not, as you wish.  It isn't exactly of serious importance if that is the best Amaral can do.

IIRC the main reason was to eliminate any 'wrangling' or 'argument' if Madeleine was discovered in a foreign Country.  As a Ward of Court she would have to be immediately placed under British jurisdiction.   (From memory so can't be absolutely sure.)
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Serendipity

« Reply #1637 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
IIRC the main reason was to eliminate any 'wrangling' or 'argument' if Madeleine was discovered in a foreign Country.  As a Ward of Court she would have to be immediately placed under British jurisdiction.   (From memory so can't be absolutely sure.)

You are correct about such a status making repatriation easier  but the reason the Ward of Court status was applied for and was granted was so judges could act in Madeleine's best interests in any legal dispute namely when Mr & Mrs McCann applied to the High Court to force Leicester Police to release case documentation. 83 pages out of 11000 files were released to them.

"It emerged last night their missing daughter was made a ward of court last summer at her parents' request so judges could act in her best interests in any legal dispute."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028169/McCanns-asked-missing-Madeleine-ward-court.html

The libel trial in Lisbon is a legal dispute is it not?  One also has to wonder how the Ward of Court status will affect the McCann's application for Assistente (private prosecutor) status.

Offline Serendipity

« Reply #1638 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
Just repeating this as there is a lot of speculation that it was Goncalo Amaral who  delayed the libel trial going ahead on the 7th when in fact it was the McCann's lawyer Isabel Duarte who requested a postponement.

'Posted with kind permission from astro

Gonçalo Amaral's lawyer filed a request for the court to evaluate the McCann couple's legitimacy to file a lawsuit in their daughter's name, as she is a Ward of Court in the UK.

He did not ask for any postponement. It was the judge that issued a 15-day deadline for him to submit the relevant documentation.

Afterwards, Dr Isabel Duarte filed a document that is related to Mr Alan Pike, and asked for a postponement of Tuesday's session.

This information is not covered by judicial secrecy and can be freely shared.'

Redblossom

« Reply #1639 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
You are correct about such a status making repatriation easier  but the reason the Ward of Court status was applied for and was granted was so judges could act in Madeleine's best interests in any legal dispute namely when Mr & Mrs McCann applied to the High Court to force Leicester Police to release case documentation. 83 pages out of 11000 files were released to them.

"It emerged last night their missing daughter was made a ward of court last summer at her parents' request so judges could act in her best interests in any legal dispute."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028169/McCanns-asked-missing-Madeleine-ward-court.html

The libel trial in Lisbon is a legal dispute is it not?  One also has to wonder how the Ward of Court status will affect the McCann's application for Assistente (private prosecutor) status.

The world of legal affairs is odd at best of times....how someone can represent a child who the legal authorities of another country who know more have said is probably dead  is , well, odd...at leastafter all these years
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:30:29 PM by Redblossom »

Redblossom

« Reply #1640 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »
Just repeating this as there is a lot of speculation that it was Goncalo Amaral who  delayed the libel trial going ahead on the 7th when in fact it was the McCann's lawyer Isabel Duarte who requested a postponement.

'Posted with kind permission from astro

Gonçalo Amaral's lawyer filed a request for the court to evaluate the McCann couple's legitimacy to file a lawsuit in their daughter's name, as she is a Ward of Court in the UK.

He did not ask for any postponement. It was the judge that issued a 15-day deadline for him to submit the relevant documentation.

Afterwards, Dr Isabel Duarte filed a document that is related to Mr Alan Pike, and asked for a postponement of Tuesday's session.

This information is not covered by judicial secrecy and can be freely shared.'

Thank you!

Anyone for

?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:32:53 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Serendipity

« Reply #1641 on: January 09, 2014, 11:40:32 PM »
Thank you!

Anyone for

?

There is more hope of David Cameron switching to Labour than there is of anyone taking a slice of that humble pie ;)

Redblossom

« Reply #1642 on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »
There is more hope of David Cameron switching to Labour than there is of anyone taking a slice of that humble pie ;)

LOL! Or the pope becoming jewish or even popeye saying he hates spinach or the fonz admitting ever he was wrong

@)(++(*

Gnite

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:48:21 PM by Redblossom »

Offline sadie

« Reply #1643 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »
Is this referring to Amaral delaying the Mccann v Amaral trial on the other thread?

Cos we were talking about the delays over several years NOT the delays since Tuesday this week !

From things that I have read around I feel I am safe to say that Amaral kept producing delaying tactics to draw the period of the trial out.

This is but a small delay in comparison to the years of delay experienced before and aparantly caused by Amaral.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I have read about the Amaral delays and I cannot any more prove them.  I am too tired.

On that note, I wish you Good night

icabodcrane

« Reply #1644 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
Is this referring to Amaral delaying the Mccann v Amaral trial on the other thread?

Cos we were talking about the delays over several years NOT the delays since Tuesday this week !

From things that I have read around I feel I am safe to say that Amaral kept producing delaying tactics to draw the period of the trial out.

This is but a small delay in comparison to the years of delay experienced before and aparantly caused by Amaral.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I have read about the Amaral delays and I cannot any more prove them.  I am too tired.

On that note, I wish you Good night

Things you have  'read around'   but cannot prove because you are too tired,  is of no value here

When you are less tired,  and have evidence to support your claims,  perhaps  you can try again

good night

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1645 on: January 10, 2014, 08:05:03 AM »
Things you have  'read around'   but cannot prove because you are too tired,  is of no value here

When you are less tired,  and have evidence to support your claims,  perhaps  you can try again

good night

trying to deny amaral has continually delayed this trial either means desperation or you haven't been following the case

Cariad

« Reply #1646 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
Thank you!

Anyone for

?

Me please!

I've spent the last couple of days posting that Dr Amaral looked like a desperate man, what with these last minute documents!

Offline Victoria

« Reply #1647 on: January 10, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
I must be missing something. How can anyone claim it wasn't Amaral who caused the delay? Of course it was. He filed a last minute argument, over the weekend, in reference to an issue he could have raised months ago. That's the source of the delay.

Cariad

« Reply #1648 on: January 10, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
I must be missing something. How can anyone claim it wasn't Amaral who caused the delay? Of course it was. He filed a last minute argument, over the weekend, in reference to an issue he could have raised months ago. That's the source of the delay.

The way I'm reading it is, that although Dr Amaral filed documents, the delay was actually requested by Mrs Durate (sp?)

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1649 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »

It was Isabel Duarte who requested the postponement, when she submitted some document re Alan Pike.