Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413733 times)

C.Edwards

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #420 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
You're quite right. It was a request, not a demand. I stand corrected. Turning up was a little premature though. I'm sure he'd have been aware that there's a five day wait between a request and a decision.

A cynic might say that the whole point of the exercise was to be seen to be turned away. The UK media is quite clearly prepared to stick with that side of events and shows little sign of reporting the reasons why he wouldn't have been able to testify anyway.

I must say I would love to hear both Gerry McCann and Goncalo Amaral testify. It would be almost worth the price of a plane ticket over there.

stephen25000

« Reply #421 on: October 04, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
HERE'S ANOTHER VIEW ON THE CASE.

'That case has been privileged to unprecedented media coverage (for the type), it has been world news on and off (more on than off) ever since the child disappeared, don't Scotland Yard see that all options have been exhausted and that is the reason the case was archived? How much more public money are they intending to waste before they stop this ridiculous masquerade?

It's like a dormant volcano - just waiting to erupt at the slightest provocation.'

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #422 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »

'That case has been privileged to unprecedented media coverage (for the type), it has been world news on and off (more on than off) ever since the child disappeared, don't Scotland Yard see that all options have been exhausted and that is the reason the case was archived? How much more public money are they intending to waste before they stop this ridiculous masquerade?

It's like a dormant volcano - just waiting to erupt at the slightest provocation.'

I think referring to Maddie as "the child" is an absolute disgrace

Lyall

« Reply #423 on: October 04, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »

I think we have to remember they were instructed to do it, by the PM no less. Nobody seemed too enthusiastic before Brooks got involved.

Offline John

« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read everything which has been posted this afternoon but it is rather telling what the honourable Judge had to say on Wednesday about the possibility of Mrs Healey testifying.

Following an observation by Amaral lawyer Dr Santos de Oliveira to the effect that Mrs Healey's evidence mustn't have been so important since Isabel Duarte chose to give her up in the first place.  The Judge said that Isabel Duarte had relinquished all additional witnesses except for Mrs Cameron.  She added that the production of testimony evidence up until now does not lead the Court to believe that the witness Susan Healy's knowledge is relevant to the discussion about the case considering her relationship with Kate McCann and the fact that lawyer for the plaintiffs had officially given her up. She therefore didn't give permission for the witness to be called.

Oh dear!! 8(8-))
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

C.Edwards

« Reply #425 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

Well I'm glad you took the time to come in and tell us that, it's greatly enhanced the thread.  Perhaps you could write to your MP?  A strongly-worded letter should get things off your chest  8((()*/

You do realise those aren't Stephen's words, right?  The quote marks give it away.  Some people don't like to personalise things by using names as though they know people. Some don't like to use "Gerry" or "Kate" as it implies familiarity. Maybe the poster Stephen quoted feels the same way about Madeleine.  Who, let's not forget, hated to be called "Maddie" as you keep doing.

stephen25000

« Reply #426 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

NOW YOU'VE WALKED INTO THAT ONE.

The true disgrace, and make no mistakes about this, are the mccanns, who left 3 small children by themselves and unprotected as they wined and dined, night after night.

DISGRACEFUL BARELY COVERS WHAT THEY DID.

Offline John

« Reply #427 on: October 04, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
As the trial has now begun hearing from Defence witnesses I fear Gerry McCann has lost any opportunity he ever might have had to testify.  You never know though...it is Portugal.   8(0(*

ps  The Henrique Machado evidence shortly!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

stephen25000

« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
Well I'm glad you took the time to come in and tell us that, it's greatly enhanced the thread.  Perhaps you could write to your MP?  A strongly-worded letter should get things off your chest  8((()*/

You do realise those aren't Stephen's words, right?  The quote marks give it away.  Some people don't like to personalise things by using names as though they know people. Some don't like to use "Gerry" or "Kate" as it implies familiarity. Maybe the poster Stephen quoted feels the same way about Madeleine.  Who, let's not forget, hated to be called "Maddie" as you keep doing.

8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

C.Edwards

« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
As the trial has now begun hearing from Defence witnesses I fear Gerry McCann has lost any opportunity he ever might have had to testify.  You never know though...it is Portugal.   8(0(*

Is that right?  I've lost track a bit as the last thing I saw was Trish Cameron's testimony.  Where are we up to now?

Remind me who Machado is please John.

Lyall

« Reply #430 on: October 04, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

>@@(*&) Strange isn't it. They only had four years to prepare for this. I don't think any judge would be impressed by last minute changes.

Offline John

« Reply #431 on: October 04, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
Is that right?  I've lost track a bit as the last thing I saw was Trish Cameron's testimony.  Where are we up to now?

Remind me who Machado is please John.

Henrique Machado – Staff reporter with the Portuguese Morning Mail (Correio da Manhã) newspaper in Lisbon since 2005.   He speaks to the interviews he published in collaboration with Dr Amaral.

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #432 on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
Delays and postponements happen all the time in court cases. There is nothing sinister about it. A few years ago, I was to be a witness on behalf of the company I worked for at the time. I went to the courthouse in Portimão with the other witnesses and lawyer and I never saw the inside of the courtroom. Twice it was postponed and the third time the two parties came to an agreement.

Pardon me for thinking that from the begining of this this case Amarals side seemed to have more delays/ postponements than normal.

C.Edwards

« Reply #433 on: October 04, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
Pardon me for thinking that from the begining of this this case Amarals side seemed to have more delays/ postponements than normal.

Being generous, we don't yet "know" which side requested the January delay. That seems to be rather a large factor in this case and it *may* have been the McCanns.  If it was Amaral, you have a very good point and I unreservedly apologise.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #434 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »

I think Gerry said the very same thing in Lisbon 2010.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?