Author Topic: Website that analyses the Anni Dewani murder in detail  (Read 163231 times)

Offline mercury

Re: Website that analyses the Anni Dewani murder in detail
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
I find it odd the man has done everything he can to avoid being cross-examined in public:  if it were me I'd be doing everything I could to bring those involved to justice - the way Anni's father has behaved in fact.  I think he treated her father with the utmost disrespect.

He doesn't seem a very likeable or believable man whichever way you cut it. JMHO.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:00:29 PM by mercury »

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
I find it odd the man has done everything he can to avoid being cross-examined in public:  if it were me I'd be doing everything I could to bring those involved to justice - the way Anni's father has behaved in fact. 

Agreed.

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
What is he doing in seeking justice for Anni? He seems to have kept a low profile as possible since the court case, no campaigns, no TV appearances, no book telling his side of the story to get public opinion on board, etc. And what of the animosity between him and Anni's family?

Agreed it is strange that he hasn't told his side of the story. As someone who followed the case, I would give my left arm to hear him explain a few of the unknowns that only he can answer.

I don't think the animosity between the Dewani and Hindocha families is at all surprising, given the revelation that their daughter died on honeymoon with a man who was having adulterous gay affairs on the side. One would hardly expect them to feel kindly towards him, even if they did believe that he had no role in the murder.

Likewise from the Dewani side, its easy to understand why relations are frosty toward the Hindochas, since they probably feel like the Hindochas enabled and encouraged the malicious prosecution of their family member for four years.   

Offline mercury

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
Agreed it is strange that he hasn't told his side of the story. As someone who followed the case, I would give my left arm to hear him explain a few of the unknowns that only he can answer.

I don't think the animosity between the Dewani and Hindocha families is at all surprising, given the revelation that their daughter died on honeymoon with a man who was having adulterous gay affairs on the side. One would hardly expect them to feel kindly towards him, even if they did believe that he had no role in the murder.

Likewise from the Dewani side, its easy to understand why relations are frosty toward the Hindochas, since they probably feel like the Hindochas enabled and encouraged the malicious prosecution of their family member for four years.

So what, in your opinion, explains Dewani's  silence / inaction all this time if you are of the view he wants justice for Anni?

Malicious prosecution? Were Anni's family the ones who caused Dewani to be charged and tried?

Offline puglove

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »

Having read extracts from Vinod Hindocha's book, it's quite clear why the Hindochas wouldn't "feel kindly" towards Dewani. His behaviour after Anni's murder was, quite simply, breathtakingly appalling.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:29 PM »
I have no idea whether Shrien wants justice for Anni. I'd imagine he does, but after the last four years, who knows?

We (Dewani Facts) would like to see justice for Anni.

Yes - malicious prosecution. Had the SAPS and the NPA done their jobs properly they would have realised that the criminals were feeding them a load of horseshit and that their story did not make sense. The Hindocha family didn't drive the prosecution but they certainly agreed with it and willed it to happen, due largely to the misinformation fed to them by SAPS, NPA, the media and Justice4Anni's obsessive social media lynching of Dewani. Mbolmobo was only granted immunity from prosecution due to the Hindochas giving the deal the ok. They were misled by NPA and SAPS as to the strength of the case against Shrien. It was a complete mess.

One cannot blame the Hindochas. They were in a desperately sad position and acted with dignity and courage the whole way through. Unfortunately it appeared that they had very poor legal advisors. Their pleas to the judge to force Dewani to take the stand were a low point and showed that they had no understanding of how the legal process works and of Dewani's absolute right to stay silent and not testify.  I can understand that type of ignorance being peddled in forums like this, but as the family of the victim I would have hoped they were receiving more solid legal advice. Sadly they were let down in that regard too. 

Offline mercury

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
I have no idea whether Shrien wants justice for Anni. I'd imagine he does, but after the last four years, who knows?

We (Dewani Facts) would like to see justice for Anni.

Yes - malicious prosecution. Had the SAPS and the NPA done their jobs properly they would have realised that the criminals were feeding them a load of horseshit and that their story did not make sense. The Hindocha family didn't drive the prosecution but they certainly agreed with it and willed it to happen, due largely to the misinformation fed to them by SAPS, NPA, the media and Justice4Anni's obsessive social media lynching of Dewani. Mbolmobo was only granted immunity from prosecution due to the Hindochas giving the deal the ok. They were misled by NPA and SAPS as to the strength of the case against Shrien. It was a complete mess.

One cannot blame the Hindochas. They were in a desperately sad position and acted with dignity and courage the whole way through. Unfortunately it appeared that they had very poor legal advisors. Their pleas to the judge to force Dewani to take the stand were a low point and showed that they had no understanding of how the legal process works and of Dewani's absolute right to stay silent and not testify.  I can understand that type of ignorance being peddled in forums like this, but as the family of the victim I would have hoped they were receiving more solid legal advice. Sadly they were let down in that regard too.

But in your post number 103 you said Dewanis position is achieving justice for Anni, or words to that effect, thats why I brought it up, so how can you say now you don't know if he wants justice for Anni

As for right to silence, why the need if youre innocent?

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
I think you've misunderstood what I said. I didn't express it well. Dewani is inextricably linked to most discussions of Anni's murder, as this thread demonstrates. That's all I meant in post 103.  I realise that you think DF is a PR creation or something like that but I can assure you that it's not. I cannot possibly speak for what Dewani does or doesn't want.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:05:40 PM by dewanifacts »

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »
Did you read reply 104? What are your thoughts on Tongo?

Offline mercury

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
I think you've misunderstood what I said. I didn't express it well. Dewani is inextricably linked to most discussions of Anni's murder, as this thread demonstrates. That's all I meant in post 103.  I realise that you think DF is a PR creation or something like that but I can assure you that it's not. I cannot possibly speak for what Dewani does or doesn't want.

That's OK, I realise I probably mis read post 103 in which you were presumably sayng "we want justice for Anni" but Dewani is out of the picture. So who are you after? If the perpetrators are in jail?

Shrien Dewani's position is obviously linked to achieving justice for Anni. He was her husband and he was accused of being involved in the murder. We clearly cannot ignore him when discussing the case, however he isn't the focus for us, because the evidence made it clear that he wasn't involved. 

As for Tonga and post 104, sorry, as I said before, didn't really follow the case so have no opinion.  I followed the Pistorius case though

Wonder how he is doing after smashing his girlfriend's brains out and sayng it was a man or men who climbed in the top window of the bathroom that made him do it

PS I said you come across as a PR agent, that belief is not unfounded IMO when the general thrust of your posts are about Dewani's innocence
There must  be a reason why so many people did not trust his version of events or his behaviour for years and NO it is not all down to the papers
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:21:36 PM by mercury »

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
That's OK, I realise I probably mis read post 103 in which you were presumably sayng "we want justice for Anni" but Dewani is out of the picture. So who are you after? If the perpetrators are in jail?

The perpetrators are not all in jail and the ones that are in jail got lenient sentences with the exception of Mngeni who died whilst incarcerated. SA's strict liability principle specifies that the minimum penalty for an aggravated robbery that results in murder is 25 years imprisonment. That is the sentence that all of the conspirators to Anni's murder should be serving. Yet they aren't.

Monde Mbolombo - the man who coordinated the whole operation - enjoys his freedom to this day. He was granted full immunity from prosecution conditional upon him giving truthful testimony. He lied when testifying in the Mngeni trial, admitted these lies in a prepared statement before testifying in Dewani's trial and then was caught in a whole new load of lies in Dewani's trial. For this reason, the judge withdrew his immunity from prosecution but the NPA have allegedly told him that he will never be prosecuted. http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Man-charge-plot-kill-Anni-Dewani-allegedly-told/story-26728074-detail/story.html

Tongo is eligible for release in 4 years from now. 
Qwabe is eligible for release in 12.5 years from now.

These excessively lenient sentences are their reward for testifying against Dewani.

There is also a fifth conspirator whom the others lied for and refused to identify whilst under oath. That person also enjoys their freedom to this day.

Does any of that sound like justice for Anni or the Hindocha family?

You comment that the thrust of our posts seems to be about Dewani's innocence. In part you are correct because one needs to accept and move past Dewani's alleged involvement, to get to the bottom of what really happened. The obsessive focus of the SAPS, the NPA and the media on Shrien Dewani is what ultimately allowed 4 of the perpetrators to escape justice. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:22:44 AM by dewanifacts »

Offline Passer-by

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
The perpetrators are not all in jail and the ones that are in jail got lenient sentences with the exception of Mngeni who died whilst incarcerated. SA's strict liability principle specifies that the minimum penalty for an aggravated robbery that results in murder is 25 years imprisonment. That is the sentence that all of the conspirators to Anni's murder should be serving. Yet they aren't.

Monde Mbolombo - the man who coordinated the whole operation - enjoys his freedom to this day. He was granted full immunity from prosecution conditional upon him giving truthful testimony. He lied when testifying in the Mngeni trial, admitted these lies in a prepared statement before testifying in Dewani's trial and then was caught in a whole new load of lies in Dewani's trial. For this reason, the judge withdrew his immunity from prosecution but the NPA have allegedly told him that he will never be prosecuted. http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Man-charge-plot-kill-Anni-Dewani-allegedly-told/story-26728074-detail/story.html

Tongo is eligible for release in 4 years from now. 
Qwabe is eligible for release in 12.5 years from now.

These excessively lenient sentences are their reward for testifying against Dewani.

There is also a fifth conspirator whom the others lied for and refused to identify whilst under oath. That person also enjoys their freedom to this day.

Does any of that sound like justice for Anni or the Hindocha family?

You comment that the thrust of our posts seems to be about Dewani's innocence. In part you are correct because one needs to accept and move past Dewani's alleged involvement, to get to the bottom of what really happened. The obsessive focus of the SAPS, the NPA and the media on Shrien Dewani is what ultimately allowed 4 of the perpetrators to escape justice.

I think you'll find the Hindocha family want justice from the man their entrusted their daughter's safety to, who left her alone and defenceless in the back of a car with armed men in the middle of one of the world's most dangerous slums.

No matter how you try to spin it, how bizarre that the 2 strapping men in the backseat who could have fought back escaped without so much as a graze, but the slightly-built girl in high heels died.

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
Cowardly? Possibly.

Bizarre? hardly. Ever had a gun held to your temple?  Common sense dictates that 2 strapping men are powerless against one man with a gun.

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »
As for right to silence, why the need if youre innocent?

Agreed. If it were me, then I would want to testify.

We will never know whether Dewani would have testified, had the trial continued.

I was previously of the view that he would have testified, but as the post trial months have gone by without him doing any type of interview or putting forward his side of the story I am now not so sure. It seems like he is not so intent on proving his innocence to the public.  One can speculate as to why that might be, but nobody really knows.

Perhaps he reads forums and realises that nothing he says will ever convince people of his innocence? Perhaps he's still mortally embarrassed at the revelations of his unfaithfulness? Maybe he's gotten over that part but its the gay aspect that he still finds too embarassing to talk about?  Perhaps he has been advised to simply get on with his life because he doesnt stand a chance of convincing those who believe in his guilt? At this stage its quite likely that whatever he says will be disbelieved by the public. People will dismiss it by saying he had nearly five years to come up with whatever story he tells

Offline John

« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
Tongo's evidence was a complete and utter mess.  Getting the odd detail wrong could have been accepted as a mistake but he got just about everything wrong. 

Mention was made previously in this thread to the examination of phone records and SMS messages.  When the records were checked it was found that the calls and texts which Tongo had claimed were made never existed.  When confronted in court about this his answer was that there might be a problem with the records.  And pigs might fly!

Tongo didn't have a criminal record but that in itself says little about his honesty.  For all anyone knows he could have been the instigator of the robbery, a robbery which went badly wrong for him.  How many other robberies of wealthy tourists was he involved in but never detected?

This case exposes major shortcomings in the way cases are investigated in South Africa.  Both the police and prosecution can be legitimately criticised for their conduct.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:38:18 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.