Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 527186 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #2700 on: November 06, 2018, 09:38:50 PM »
Don't you think it will be very damaging to amaral and Portugal if it's found that Portugal has denied the McCann's their human rights

No why would it be damaging?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2701 on: November 06, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
No why would it be damaging?

Post 2700.....gunit seems to think it would be

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2702 on: November 06, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
Post 2700.....gunit seems to think it would be

Oh I am sorry I thought it was you who thought it might be damaging. I am glad to hear you are not so foolish as to belive it would be.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2703 on: November 06, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »
Oh I am sorry I thought it was you who thought it might be damaging. I am glad to hear you are not so foolish as to belive it would be.

Apologies  accepted

Offline Sunny

« Reply #2704 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »
Apologies  accepted

Perhaps it was you not G-Unit, Davel. 

Don't you think it will be very damaging to amaral and Portugal if it's found that Portugal has denied the McCann's their human rights

G-Unit just replied to your post.

Link http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg500598#msg500598
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2705 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
Perhaps it was you not G-Unit, Davel. 

G-Unit just replied to your post.

Link http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg500598#msg500598

Mine is a question in light of the post made by gunit.... A post she now does not want to seem to acknowledge

Offline Sunny

« Reply #2706 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »
Mine is a question in light of the post made by gunit.... A post she now does not want to seem to acknowledge
And G-Unit's post was.

I loved this bit;

"Kate and Gerry don’t care about his money, he may be cashing in on their daughter’s disappearance and their misery, but they ultimate goal is to shut him up.

Isn't it too late to shut him up? It's ten years since he released his book. It has been widely read in Portugal, other European countries and on the internet. It wasn't found libelous and they were unable to prove it damaged any investigation or search for their daughter. Shutting Amaral up will make no difference at all to anything at this juncture in my opinion.

So explain your point please.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2707 on: November 06, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
And G-Unit's post was.

I loved this bit;

"Kate and Gerry don’t care about his money, he may be cashing in on their daughter’s disappearance and their misery, but they ultimate goal is to shut him up.

Isn't it too late to shut him up? It's ten years since he released his book. It has been widely read in Portugal, other European countries and on the internet. It wasn't found libelous and they were unable to prove it damaged any investigation or search for their daughter. Shutting Amaral up will make no difference at all to anything at this juncture in my opinion.

So explain your point please.

I already have done.... Gunit seems to want to disown her post where she says a victory for the McCann's would humiliate not only amaral... But Portugal too..
I think she's absolutely  right

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2708 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
UK media accused of trailing fake McCann stories to “pressure the European Court”

By Natasha Donn
Algarve Resident

Published 29 Sept 2018

As a new funding deadline approaches for Operation Grange - the UK police inquiry that has spent over €12 million ‘searching for Madeleine McCann - British newspapers have been running with “fake stories” centring on the possibility that the Madeleine Fund is in danger of being wiped out by a new court action lodged by former PJ detective Gonçalo Amaral.

The Mail has inferred that a court case brought by Amaral is “due to start in the next few weeks” while the Sun describes the situation as a “Euro court showdown”.

The truth is that the case due to be heard has been instigated by the McCanns themselves and has nothing whatsoever to do with former PJ coordinator Gonçalo Amaral, who has been at pains to distance himself from media hype ever since the McCann’s long-running case to sue him for €1 million failed in the Supreme Court, Portugal’s final court of jurisdiction (click here).

Since that time, costs incurred by the McCanns (and awarded against them) have been left hanging.

The couple’s bid to overturn the Supreme Court judgement has failed twice (click here and click here), thus the jury is definitely out on the merits of this appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

But as to the case being anything to do with Amaral, the former detective has been in touch to put the record straight:

“There are stories being printed saying I am taking the couple to court. It’s a lie. I have never received any kind of indemnity from them and I have never asked for one.

“The case they have lodged in the European court is not against me, but the Portuguese State.

“These lies just serve to make out that they are victims, to ask for more money and to pressure the European Court”.

The father-of-two who has long since maintained that the McCanns have set out to “assassinate” his “civil position”, said: “They should explain how much of the money of the Fund they have spent on court cases.

“For example, how much they have spent on lawyers fees. These were thousands of pounds not spent on looking for their daughter”.

Amaral’s treatment by the British press has been constant for the last decade.

This week the Sun has called him “disgraced” (when in fact he won the case taken out against him by the McCanns at least three times) and his theory that the parents could have covered up their daughter’s accidental death “shameful” and “ludicrous”.

As to the possibility that the Madeleine Fund could be “wiped out” if the European Court dismisses the McCann’s appeal, this is not news. The situation of the Fund was highlighted by all newspapers in March last year. In fact, Jerry Lawton of the Daily Star referred to the McCanns “going for broke” and using the Madeleine Fund to pay for their legal fees, even though this was something they had originally vowed they would never do (click here).

With the deadline for a decision on further funding for the Metropolitan Police search approaching, other UK newspapers have highlighted “an honest interview” with Madeleine’s father Gerry where he discusses his struggles with depression as a result of the stress of losing a child.

The interview is due to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on September 29.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

http://portugalresident.com/uk-media-accused-of-trailing-fake-mccann-stories-to-%E2%80%9Cpressure-the-european-court%E2%80%9D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:19:28 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

« Reply #2709 on: November 07, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Can posters please try to comply with the off topic rules otherwise posts will inevitably be removed. TY

NB   If you wish to discuss a new topic please start one.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2710 on: November 07, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »
UK media accused of trailing fake McCann stories to “pressure the European Court”

By Natasha Donn
Algarve Resident

Published 29 Sept 2018

As a new funding deadline approaches for Operation Grange - the UK police inquiry that has spent over €12 million ‘searching for Madeleine McCann - British newspapers have been running with “fake stories” centring on the possibility that the Madeleine Fund is in danger of being wiped out by a new court action lodged by former PJ detective Gonçalo Amaral.

The Mail has inferred that a court case brought by Amaral is “due to start in the next few weeks” while the Sun describes the situation as a “Euro court showdown”.

The truth is that the case due to be heard has been instigated by the McCanns themselves and has nothing whatsoever to do with former PJ coordinator Gonçalo Amaral, who has been at pains to distance himself from media hype ever since the McCann’s long-running case to sue him for €1 million failed in the Supreme Court, Portugal’s final court of jurisdiction (click here).

Since that time, costs incurred by the McCanns (and awarded against them) have been left hanging.

The couple’s bid to overturn the Supreme Court judgement has failed twice (click here and click here), thus the jury is definitely out on the merits of this appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

But as to the case being anything to do with Amaral, the former detective has been in touch to put the record straight:

“There are stories being printed saying I am taking the couple to court. It’s a lie. I have never received any kind of indemnity from them and I have never asked for one.

“The case they have lodged in the European court is not against me, but the Portuguese State.

“These lies just serve to make out that they are victims, to ask for more money and to pressure the European Court”.

The father-of-two who has long since maintained that the McCanns have set out to “assassinate” his “civil position”, said: “They should explain how much of the money of the Fund they have spent on court cases.

“For example, how much they have spent on lawyers fees. These were thousands of pounds not spent on looking for their daughter”.

Amaral’s treatment by the British press has been constant for the last decade.

This week the Sun has called him “disgraced” (when in fact he won the case taken out against him by the McCanns at least three times) and his theory that the parents could have covered up their daughter’s accidental death “shameful” and “ludicrous”.

As to the possibility that the Madeleine Fund could be “wiped out” if the European Court dismisses the McCann’s appeal, this is not news. The situation of the Fund was highlighted by all newspapers in March last year. In fact, Jerry Lawton of the Daily Star referred to the McCanns “going for broke” and using the Madeleine Fund to pay for their legal fees, even though this was something they had originally vowed they would never do (click here).

With the deadline for a decision on further funding for the Metropolitan Police search approaching, other UK newspapers have highlighted “an honest interview” with Madeleine’s father Gerry where he discusses his struggles with depression as a result of the stress of losing a child.

The interview is due to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on September 29.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

http://portugalresident.com/uk-media-accused-of-trailing-fake-mccann-stories-to-%E2%80%9Cpressure-the-european-court%E2%80%9D

It is interesting that some newspapers are pushing the idea that the McCanns will face Amaral at the ECHR. Perhaps it's just because they've made him the 'bogey man' for so long that they're staying with it. Or maybe they think that suing a 'disgraced poisonous liar' sounds better than suing a whole country.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #2711 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
It is interesting that some newspapers are pushing the idea that the McCanns will face Amaral at the ECHR. Perhaps it's just because they've made him the 'bogey man' for so long that they're staying with it. Or maybe they think that suing a 'disgraced poisonous liar' sounds better than suing a whole country.

Or it could be that they've been fed information from a 'source' and can't be arsed checking it out for themselves.

Ayone with an understanding of how the ECHR works would know that cases aren't taken out against individuals.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2712 on: November 07, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

The case will be concerned with amarals claims... His book and documentary

Offline John

« Reply #2713 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
Please note that the removed posts referring to the Liverpudlian dialect now have their own thread.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2714 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
Or it could be that they've been fed information from a 'source' and can't be arsed checking it out for themselves.

Ayone with an understanding of how the ECHR works would know that cases aren't taken out against individuals.

Options:
The authors of the pieces are stupid.
The authors believe their readership is stupid.
Anyone who believes that this case, if admissible and if heard, will have far reaching consequences needs their bumps felt. It just is not that important on the world stage.