Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 532241 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

8)-))) he  has gone  AWOL

He would have a problem dressing today's events up as a major victory.
But wait........................
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline pegasus

8)-))) he  has gone  AWOL
... not for long, it just takes a few hours to build up the necessary RPM

Offline Mr Gray

They can't have it both ways so if Gonçalo does as he stated he would do and pursue a damages action then regardless of where the McCanns reside they will have to comply with any Order made by a Portuguese court.  No doubt Sra Duarte and Ricardo Alfonso will lodge a further appeal to the Supreme Court so this could rumble on much further.

as I said...is an order by a portuguese court ...in a civil case...enforceable in the uk. I doubt very much....do you really know

Offline faithlilly

Brunty is on the ball now on Sky News.

McCann lawyer Isabel Duarte confirms she will appeal decision to the Supreme Court in Lisbon.

I'm not sure how the McCanns will be able to justify spending even more of the fund money appealing this decision. After all even the initial decision said the book had not harmed the search.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline jassi

as I said...is an order by a portuguese court ...in a civil case...enforceable in the uk. I doubt very much....do you really know

Might make it a bit difficult for them to return to Portugal, though, in that case.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

I feel we must all be delighted that a decision has been finally reached.  ?{)(**

This is just the first appeal. Unless I've missed something the McCanns can appeal to the Supreme Court.

Offline Alice Purjorick

I'm not sure how the McCanns will be able to justify spending even more of the fund money appealing this decision. After all even the initial decision said the book had not harmed the search.

I don't see they have a great deal of choice; they have to go to the end of the line or have a very convincing reason for not doing so. It is after all not about the money but their good name etc.
As I posted the other day, but a mod didn't like it:
"Man who ride tiger cannot choose when to dismount"
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

I don't know how these things work, but the McCanns at this moment owe for all the costs. Will they have to pay up before they can launch an appeal? After all, the amount owing will rise if they lose again. Will the courts take any  action to safeguard the amount they owe just as they acted to freeze Amaral's assets?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Montclair

Brunty is on the ball now on Sky News.

McCann lawyer Isabel Duarte confirms she will appeal decision to the Supreme Court in Lisbon.

According to Diário de Notícias, Isabel Duarte said that she would appeal to the Tribunal Suprême because the McCanns asked her to. I'm sure that she realises that it would be hopeless to do so. IIRC, in 2010, when the couple appealed to the SC, their appeal was immediately rejected.

Offline Alice Purjorick

This is just the first appeal. Unless I've missed something the McCanns can appeal to the Supreme Court.

The appeal that the experts said was either not taking place or had no chance of success. This was according to the experts "good night Goncalo".
Funny old world innit.
Supreme Court and ECHR to go.
It could rival The McLibel trial for time elapsed. 10 years then another 10 for that one.
That I should live that long, oi vey !

Offline jassi

So I believe, but we at least one stage nearer the end, which has got to be good.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Lace

I notice the ones who are happy about Amaral the man who has stated that Madeleine is dead are the same ones who were not happy about the report from SY saying they hope to find Madeleine alive,  says it all really.

Offline jassi

Does anyone know what grounds there might be for an appeal?

'Experts' were quick to come forward and state why Amaral wouldn't be able to appeal, so presumably these same experts will have an opinion on this next level of appeal.

Or maybe not -

Offline Alice Purjorick

I don't know how these things work, but the McCanns at this moment owe for all the costs. Will they have to pay up before they can launch an appeal? After all, the amount owing will rise if they lose again. Will the courts take any  action to safeguard the amount they owe just as they acted to freeze Amaral's assets?

Actual court costs are pretty much PAYG.
The McCanns will owe Dra Duarte something but we don't know how that is divvied up, and they now owe for Sr Amarals legal costs unless it is overturned by the next appeal. It is doubtful they will pay anything until the final appeal is done and dusted.
There is potential for the belt to come off in a quite spectacular manner.

Offline Carana

Do you mean concerning this current appeal?

“The McCanns never received any compensation money after the original decision although the money was deposited at the court so there is no money to return to Gonzalo Amaral."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/madeleine-mccann-portuguese-detective-wins-appeal-against-order/

It's not clear whether the amount will still by kept by the court if the McCanns lodge a Supreme Court appeal... as a final appeal could go the other way.