Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 528971 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Is it known how long the McCanns have to submit their case to the Supreme Court?

30 days.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline carlymichelle

Where are they searching Lace ?

You of course realize they don't know what happened to her and you are merely typing cliches.

emotional blackmail doesnt work on  me 

ferryman

Pretty much!  But you will note how the supporters are now delighting in talking about irrelevancies to avoid the main issue.
The original judgement against Sr Amaral has been turned over by three appeal court judges and Dra Duarte is yet to work out whether she has adequate grounds of appeal.
The defence by the supporters is the implication that Portugal is a banana republic without a real judicial system so somehow it does not really count.
But remind me where the case was being tried and whose judicial system has primacy...............?

The judgment of the appeal-court judges is badly flawed, not least because the innocence of the McCanns (of any criminally culpable act) is not in question, and Amaral's book accuses them of some very serious crimes.

This judgement is a licence for anyone to write anything, call it their 'opinion' and be exempt from consequence.  That is manifestly and flagrantly unjust.

Offline G-Unit

All who are glad Amaral has won must all agree with his book,    and therefore believe Madeleine to be dead,  a child who could be out there waiting to be found.   Thank god SY are searching for her.

As one of those who are allegedly the better informed and more intelligent group that is rather a simplistic view. Amaral expressed his opinion of what happened in his book, as did Kate McCann in her book. Both had the right to express their opinions in print as far as I'm concerned. That opinion has absolutely no connection with my opinion on the contents of either book.

Madeleine McCann's fate is unknown. Scotland Yard are trying to find out what happened. I see no signs of them 'searching' either for remains or for a living girl. It seems to be a desk exercise now by four people. They may get lucky and have a breakthrough and if they do and the trail leads to Portugal they will present their findings to the Portuguese who will decide what to do about it.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

The attitude of the press seems to be changing.
McCann still sells copy if dressed up right; smelly bin men are so yesterdays news.
One fears the Portuguese judgement will breathe life back into it.

"Cop wins right to print claims against parents"

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/509325/Maddie-McCann-shock-Cop-wins-right-print-claims-against-parents-Goncalo-Amaral
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Online Eleanor

The judgment of the appeal-court judges is badly flawed, not least because the innocence of the McCanns (of any criminally culpable act) is not in question, and Amaral's book accuses them of some very serious crimes.

This judgement is a licence for anyone to write anything, call it their 'opinion' and be exempt from consequence.  That is manifestly and flagrantly unjust.

I suspect that Portugal might live to regret this decision.

Offline jassi

There is talk in the papers of Amaral suing the McCanns on various grounds. Would this be in a British or Portuguese court?
If he won in the latter and they refused to pay up, this would be a huge PR coup for Amaral and reflect very negatively on the McCanns.

Would he be likely to have any success in a UK court?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Lace

As one of those who are allegedly the better informed and more intelligent group that is rather a simplistic view. Amaral expressed his opinion of what happened in his book, as did Kate McCann in her book. Both had the right to express their opinions in print as far as I'm concerned. That opinion has absolutely no connection with my opinion on the contents of either book.

Madeleine McCann's fate is unknown. Scotland Yard are trying to find out what happened. I see no signs of them 'searching' either for remains or for a living girl. It seems to be a desk exercise now by four people. They may get lucky and have a breakthrough and if they do and the trail leads to Portugal they will present their findings to the Portuguese who will decide what to do about it.

Amaral lied in his book,  there was no 100% DNA found of Madeleine's.

Can't you see why they sued him though?   Would you let someone let alone the co-ordinator of the case write a book which was damning you,  drugging your children hiding her body,   of course you wouldn't.   I would have done exactly the same as the McCann's especially as it would be protecting my daughter from someone saying she was dead and therefore no one should search for her.

Offline Lace

Where are they searching Lace ?

You of course realize they don't know what happened to her and you are merely typing cliches.

Ask SY.   You are forgetting that when Amaral's book came out it was only a year or so after Madeleine went missing and people were still phoning in with sightings,  a very important time in the search,  to be told Madeleine is dead.

Offline Alice Purjorick

I suspect that Portugal might live to regret this decision.

I can't imagine why.

Offline jassi

Quite. There would appear to be little urgency in their approach - " we will go back to the HO in 6 months for more funding,  etc", which would suggest that they have little expectation of finding a live Madeleine.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

I don't see how amaral can sue the mccanns for the fact that his book was banned...it was the court who banned the book...not the mccanns

Offline misty

There is talk in the papers of Amaral suing the McCanns on various grounds. Would this be in a British or Portuguese court?
If he won in the latter and they refused to pay up, this would be a huge PR coup for Amaral and reflect very negatively on the McCanns.

Would he be likely to have any success in a UK court?

How can he sue in a UK court regarding an injunction issued by a Portuguese court?

Offline jassi

He might not be suing over the injunction, he may have other grounds, though as I'm not a lawyer, I wouldn't want to suggest what they might be.

Like most things, it may become more clear in the fullness of time
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:33:39 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Online Eleanor

I can't imagine why.

If Amaral can do it then so can anyone else.