Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 532319 times)

ferryman

This latest decision (of the Portuguese courts) upholds the 'right' of any old Joe-Soap to spout anything they like that traduces maligns and denigrates without let, hindrance or fear of sanction, and without heed to the wider damage done, either to reputations or to the prospects of finding someone missing and sought.

Offline Eleanor

Let him stamp his tiny foot of defiance. No one is paying any real attention.

Really?

Offline Brietta

What on earth has come over the UK press? Amaral has gone from being described as 'disgraced' or 'sacked'  to a simple 'former detective' in most reports. Surely they don't forsee another massive libel payout? Or are they bidding to serialise his book when it's published in the UK?

He was not disgraced when given a suspended prison sentence and a conviction for covering up a serious crime?

He was not removed or 'sacked' from Madeleine's case?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

This latest decision (of the Portuguese courts) upholds the 'right' of any old Joe-Soap to spout anything they like that traduces maligns and denigrates without let, hindrance or fear of sanction, and without heed to the wider damage done, either to reputations or to the prospects of finding someone missing and sought.

The mccanns messed up any reputation they had on the  night of the 3 rd May 2007

I noted the mirror was still calling kate mccann a GP yesterday.

A complete lie.

She has no license to practice.

Offline jassi

He was not disgraced when given a suspended prison sentence and a conviction for covering up a serious crime?

He was not removed or 'sacked' from Madeleine's case?

All water under the bridge. The British press can be so forgiving when they want to be 
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

perhaps if posters such as you didn't act in such a way I wouldn't say it. First...the mccanns have not been turned over...an appeal is to be made. One of the judges who made the present judgement also overturned the banning of the book...which was overturned...the judgement could go all the way to the ECHR...

second...my intelligence is just a super today as it was last week

third...the book would be considered libellous in the UK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:25:57 PM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline Alice Purjorick

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline jassi

if it not here already:
http://portugalresident.com/appeal-court-judges-reject-mccanns-%E2%80%98libel-win%E2%80%99

Now I suppose they could serialise the book  for their English-speaking readers .

Or maybe not -

Offline Eleanor

Well you, obviously   @)(++(*

Now, even I think that is funny.

Offline Eleanor

The mccanns messed up any reputation they had on the  night of the 3 rd May 2007

I noted the mirror was still calling kate mccann a GP yesterday.

A complete lie.

She has no license to practice.

Amaral messed up any reputation he had back in 2002.

Offline G-Unit

DO you seriously believe the book could be published in the UK.....you show a complete ignorance of the libel laws here

Sorry, I couldn't resist that little joke. I knew what the reaction would be.  @)(++(*

Still, who knows what may happen? The impossible (according to some) has happened in Portugal. The guy who didn't have a hope of being allowed to appeal was allowed to appeal. Then he won; another impossibility according to some. As few understand Portuguese law and legal processes their surprise is...........surprising. It seems the original judge didn't correctly interpret the matter of judicial secrecy, for example, so what hope UK people had of deciding if she was correct I don't know. Of course some didn't even understand what she based her judgement on.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

ferryman

Let him stamp his tiny foot of defiance. No one is paying any real attention.

When Amaral attributed to Harrison the assertion that Harrison had said Madeleine is definitely dead, was Amaral incompetent?

Or did Amaral lie?

When Amaral suggested Harrison hinted Madeleine's own parents (Kate and Gerry) might even be responsible (for Madeleine's death), was Amaral incompetent?

Or did Amaral lie?

All ways up, Amaral made assertions (purporting to be 'truth') that were actually untrue, and that traduced the reputations of Kate and Gerry:

PROVED!

Offline Eleanor

perhaps if posters such as you didn't act in such a way I wouldn't say it. First...the mccanns have not been turned over...an appeal is to be made. One of the judges who made the present judgement also overturned the banning of the book...which was overturned...the judgement could go all the way to the ECHR...

second...my intelligence is just a super today as it was last week

third...the book would be considered libellous in the UK

I don't suppose it's crossed anyone's mind that Portugal would rather have ECHR rule on this than have to do it themselves?

stephen25000

When Amaral attributed to Harrison the assertion that Harrison had said Madeleine is definitely dead, was Amaral incompetent?

Or did Amaral lie?

When Amaral suggested Harrison hinted Madeleine's own parents (Kate and Gerry) might even be responsible (for Madeleine's death), was Amaral incompetent?

Or did Amaral lie?

All ways up, Amaral made assertions (purporting to be 'truth') that were actually untrue, and that traduced the reputations of Kate and Gerry:

PROVED!

The nature of crime is undetermined.

Don't forget that when you type your mantra.